Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverted to Windows 7, now it's gone wrong

Options
  • 22-12-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello,

I reverted from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and now I'm having problems.

Put simply I can't get any internet connection (Chrome), and my mail clients (emClient and MailBird) don't work.

On the previous version of W7 all worked fine, upgraded to see what 10 was like although it turned out to be a bit laggy so reverted and then the problems started.

emClient shows me that there's an "Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultProxy'.

Any words of advice from the more IT minded?

Edit: I am shown as been connected to the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64

There maybe be a few vXX.XX.XX type folders in there.

First go into the highest one of the these, it'll be something like "v4.0.3"... or maybe higher. In there again, you will find a "Config" folder. In the config folder, you'll find a file called "Web.config".

Open this file in Wordpad or another text editor.

Locate a section that begins with "<system.net>". The whole section should look like this:
    <system.net>
            <defaultProxy>
                <proxy usesystemdefault="true" />
            </defaultProxy>
        </system.net>

If it doesn't, change it, then try again.

If that doesn't fix the issue, go through the other folders in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and see if the same fix needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

seamus wrote: »
    Go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64

There maybe be a few vXX.XX.XX type folders in there.

First go into the highest one of the these, it'll be something like "v4.0.3"... or maybe higher. In there again, you will find a "Config" folder. In the config folder, you'll find a file called "Web.config".

Open this file in Wordpad or another text editor.

Locate a section that begins with "<system.net>". The whole section should look like this:
    <system.net>
            <defaultProxy>
                <proxy usesystemdefault="true" />
            </defaultProxy>
        </system.net>

If it doesn't, change it, then try again.

If that doesn't fix the issue, go through the other folders in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and see if the same fix needs to be done.

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've tried this and it was written his you described in the most recent version folder.
    I've gone back and checked the other versions and none of them contain the Config folder.

Is there something else to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Actually got it fixed.

From a bit of browsing

netsc winsock reset in the command line seemed to do the trick.

Advertisement