Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RRP of games in Ireland

Options
  • 22-12-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I thought that retailers were obliged to sell games and other products at their suggested price (RRP) in Ireland? Why would PS4 games cost 75 euro or more if their EU price is 60 euro and sold at way less than that more often than not by retailers abroad?

For instance, I saw the new Need For Speed being sold for 40 euro in Germany compared to 75 here at HMV.

Is that legal? What's going on?! :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What does the first 'R' stand for?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

28064212 wrote: »
    What does the first 'R' stand for?

"Recommended".

Moved from PlayStation - not a PlayStation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a Recommended Retail Price - the shop can sell it for whatever price they think people will pay. In addition, Ireland is a smaller market on an island economy.

In short, there is no obligation to sell it at the RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭ongarite

Kaibutsu wrote: »
    For instance, I saw the new Need For Speed being sold for 40 euro in Germany compared to 75 here at HMV.

So what?
    2 weeks ago Argos were selling FIFA 16 for 30e and lots of other games for less than the RRP whereas Gamestop or Smyths were selling at RRP.
    It called promotions and happens all the time in Playstation Store, Xbox Live and Steam, Origin, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭28064212

F1ngers wrote: »
    "Recommended".
    I know that :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Kaibutsu

So they are allowed to do that? That is unfortunate :/... I thought that any member of the EU would have to charge tops 60e for it. Cause all of them do. Ireland is the only one charging more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retailers (especially Gamestop) charge more because there are still people out there foolish enough to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kaibutsu wrote:
    So they are allowed to do that? That is unfortunate :/... I thought that any member of the EU would have to charge tops 60e for it. Cause all of them do. Ireland is the only one charging more.

But they wouldn't charge more if people weren't prepared to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its consumers not educating themselves that the average 75 quid game in the likes of gamestop can usually be bought for aroun 50/55 quid online (including postage)

As long as people pay the 75 quid they will keep charging it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even at €75 it's only an "invitation to treat" so you can offer them €60. But they don't have to sell to you for €60, like you don't have to buy from them at €75.

A RRP's even legal under EU law? It seems like a manufacturer/distributor trying to manipulate the price they want to get for their product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

You've visited every shop in every EU country to confirm this? Just because you've seen a game for sale in Germany for €40 and here for €75, doesn't mean anything really. The EU is a free market, so we have the choice of where to buy products without border restrictions, but you can't expect the price to be the same everywhere. Any shop can charge what they like, either above or below any RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The problem with this is that Gamestop are probably charging the RRP of the game whereas the other retailers are discounting it.

It is easier for the on-line retailers to discount the game due to lower costs with operating from an out of town warehouse etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shops can charge what their customers will pay. RRP's are suggested prices from distributors. They are not fixing, controlling or manipulating the price though they may have words with someone regularly selling games well below RRP as it affects other resellers.

Some shops have better control of overheads and staff costs so can sell cheaper maintaining the same margin as the more expensive stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The publishers actually do have a hand in pricing in Ireland and are keen to see prices increased where possible. I remember GAME and EA having a spat over Fifa Street. Like everything else if there's no competition prices will simply increase.

Buy a proper computer* and go digital or use the likes of Amazon.

*Gaming PCs with more graphical horsepower than consoles can be built for about €100 more these days the games are more diverse and generally cheaper.

Advertisement