Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas lights

Options
  • 22-12-2015 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I need to replace some push in bulbs in my indoor lights ans I am wondering hot to calculate what strength bulb goes into different sets as I don't have the information stuck on the cable. I was told it can be calculated by using the amount of bulbs in set.

Thanking You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I need to replace some push in bulbs in my indoor lights ans I am wondering hot to calculate what strength bulb goes into different sets as I don't have the information stuck on the cable. I was told it can be calculated by using the amount of bulbs in set.

Thanking You

As long as you replace them with a similar type that fits into the existing slot then I really wouldn't worry about what strength the bulb is. They really use very little electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

aido79 wrote: »
    As long as you replace them with a similar type that fits into the existing slot then I really wouldn't worry about what strength the bulb is. They really use very little electricity.

Thanks for your reply, buy I tried that and a few of the bulbs blew when I shoved them in, plus I need to know so I can buy the correct ones for replacements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, buy I tried that and a few of the bulbs blew when I shoved them in, plus I need to know so I can buy the correct ones for replacements

Can you put up a picture of them? Are they led or the old type bulbs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The older Christmas lights that used filament type bulbs are not the way to go in my opinion. If it were me I would replace with the LED type. They are safer, far more energy efficient and they tend not to fail. They are also cheap to purchase in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Divide 230 by the number of bulbs on the set and that should give you the wattage of the bulb you require. Sometimes there can be more than one set eg. every fourth bulb might be one set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Doodoo wrote: »
    Divide 230 by the number of bulbs on the set and that should give you the wattage of the bulb you require. Sometimes there can be more than one set eg. every fourth bulb might be one set

You mean voltage but that's no guarantee either, light sets are commonly made up of parallel strings of lights, you'd have to examine the wiring closely for this to work out (I see that's what you were kind of getting at), and that's presuming these are directly mains powered lights!

OP are there no markings on the base of the bulb at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

TheChizler wrote: »
    You mean voltage but that's no guarantee either, light sets are commonly made up of parallel strings of lights, you'd have to examine the wiring closely for this to work out (I see that's what you were kind of getting at), and that's presuming these are directly mains powered lights!

OP are there no markings on the base of the bulb at all?
    thanks for all the help. There is no marks on the bulbs. The bulbs are the push in ones with green plastic base. I agree about the led bulbs but as I have the ordinary sets, I will use then up for another while

Advertisement