Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effective Studying

Options
  • 22-12-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Any advice would be appreciated. I've three exams coming up. Two of them are in 3 weeks time and the third is in 4 weeks time. I've all the exam papers from the last 5 years for each subject. Is going over them the best way of revising? Each subject is broken up into sections A and B. 10 short questions in section A, attempt them all. And 4 long questions in Section B, attempt 3.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Usually my exam strategy is to be ready for the whatever number of questions I have to answer on an exam plus a back up question.

So I use the past papers to "predict" what I'm going to cover.

That tends to mean I forgo in depth study in some areas in favour of others. For essay type exam questions I prepare a series of relevant points as my memory map, that way the essay can be adapted depending on the question (as opposed to a prepared essay that may or may not suit the question).

I always know going in what I intend to attempt. In case of disaster the back up question is a safety net. It depends how predictable the papers are. I may have another extra ready if the papers are less predictable.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

One of the papers seems fairly predictable, the other two are far less predictable. I don't know really where to start. AHHH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

matt360 wrote: »
    One of the papers seems fairly predictable, the other two are far less predictable. I don't know really where to start. AHHH!!

Start at the learning outcomes of the course, the key topics, the material (handouts/powerpoints/etc.) and then the past exam papers.

Advertisement