Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for v - fine/thinning hair?

Options
  • 22-12-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I have always had really fine hair but lately noticed that it seems to have become a bit thinner. I think this could be attributed to unbalanced diet and recent stress. Apart from improving my diet, can anyone recommend anything, such as a supplement, that may help? I'm in my 30's (female) so would like to have my hair for a while longer!

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

To be honest, it is often genetic.
    I'm from a family where the hair is often so very fine that my mother wore a wig from her fifties, and my sister has hers clipped short and dyed blonde so that her scalp won't show so pink-ly through it.

I've tried everything: vitamins, supplements, special shampoos, etc etc
    Best results: Rogaine (I don't know if this counts as advertising: but it is my genuine experience). (Trade name for a chemical called Minoxidil)
    Drawbacks: it is expensive, and I think some people have health reasons to not use it
    Runner-up: Udo's Oil. Not sure why it helped but it certainly seemed to.
    Vitamins? the B- group are often mentioned. Well, maybe. Didn't do a lot for my fine, sparse locks. Ditto, iron, zinc, maybe others. Worth investigating.
    Special shampoo, etc? I've tried em all. Not a lot to report.
    Lately I've been using Fibrology conditioner, overnight, on dry hair: washing off with Fibrology shampoo in the morning. Maybe an improvement in appearance and texture - but nothing will make this hair grow thick again. (I'm older than you, by a good margin. But the hair was always like this)

Final note, and hardly something to rashly recommend: when pregnant my hair grew thick, swinging, lustrous. Yum yum, ha!

Unfortunately this fell away afterwards, and took a couple of months looking a bit moth-eaten until it returned to its usual thin-but-trying-hard condition.

Best of luck with it! :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thread moved to Beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Hi,
    I have always had really fine hair but lately noticed that it seems to have become a bit thinner. I think this could be attributed to unbalanced diet and recent stress. Apart from improving my diet, can anyone recommend anything, such as a supplement, that may help? I'm in my 30's (female) so would like to have my hair for a while longer!
    It would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    D

Yes, I agree with you hang on to your hair.

I use Karmin hair tools and I received a newsletter a few days ago telling me that they have added the Karmin 4 step hair repair system, might be worth taking a look at. I use argan oil every 3 days as a leave in treatment after every shampoo, before blow drying and heat styling. On my hair it has stopped heat damage, no more split ends, makes my hair really shiny, no flyaways and static (I really suffered from this only had to show the brush and my hair used to stand up!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

1. make sure you get enough iron, take a multivit with iron
    2. Take kelp tablets they are fantastic for skin and hair
    3. Holland and barrett silica tablets are great for hair, nails and skin
    4. look up eqyss megatek its a great product for strengthening hair

I would avoid the likes of nourikin etc as they are insane money and personally I found them no good at all and the above tablets much better

Advertisement