Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend just moved in, rent divide

Options
  • 22-12-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, I'm currently sharing a house with 2 lads, but my gf moved in a few weeks ago, there was no problem with the other 2 lads when this happened. we went 4 ways on the bills and rent wasn't touched, now the lads have come and said that they want more rent, which I am fine with but the problem is how much they want.

It's a 3 bed house, rent is 1250 a month, they now want the rent divided by 4 meaning that my room costs 625 while the other rooms cost 312 each, it was divided equally before. I'm all for paying more but I think they demands are unreasonable.
    Does anyone have any opinions on what would be fair? I'd rather get a 1 bed apartment for 700 than pay 625 to share.
    I have said I'd be happy with 466 a month for my room and 392 for theirs but they want more.

We never use sitting room, the2 lads have that all to themselves as we work a lot and have sky in bedroom. kitchen only for cooking. Any help guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Well that'll learn ya to sort things out properly before changing living arrangements. A token increase in rent is all that's fair really. Bills are one thing but you're essentially paying by the room. €700 for a one bed apartment, where abouts in Leitrim are you btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Well we rented the house, not rooms! I kind of knew the lads before we moved in! That's in cork, and a 1bed for 700 is basic but we saving for a mortgage so don't want to be paying more than that. 1 bed apartments can be got in suburbs for 700-900+

TheBully wrote: »
    Well we rented the house, not rooms! I kind of knew the lads before we moved in! That's in cork, and a 1bed for 700 is basic but we saving for a mortgage so don't want to be paying more than that. 1 bed apartments can be got in suburbs for 700-900+

If you're renting the house then the lads are right aren't they? There's now 4 of you in the place - can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

That seems a bit much now. bills should be split equally and maybe if you add on an extra 100 that would be fair. 4 ways when 2 of ye are in the same room is too much. I would move out and find a place of your own at that price.

If you're renting the house then the lads are right aren't they? There's now 4 of you in the place - can't have it both ways.

I'm not having it both ways, I'm taking one room and have agreed a rent increase but I cannot be expected to pay half the monthly rent when I'm only taking one room out of 3 can I?
    I went and got a big to and sky in room to give lads space in sitting room, don't want to be the typical couple house hogging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think the lads are dead right, they no longer live with 2 other people, they now live with 3 other people and thats not what they signed up for. More than that, 2 of the people are a couple with the baggage that brings.

4 people in the house, split it 4 ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Well if you rented the house then your room doesn't cost €625, the share of the house that you and your g/f SHOULD pay is 1/2, as you make up 1/2 the people living in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I'm not having it both ways, I'm taking one room and have agreed a rent increase but I cannot be expected to pay half the monthly rent when I'm only taking one room out of 3 can I?
    I went and got a big to and sky in room to give lads space in sitting room, don't want to be the typical couple house hogging

Why would you pay half the rent?

Is your OH not paying rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You paying half the rent? Whats your girlfriend paying? Surely you would be paying 233 each, which is actually less than the other flatmates? Or is she freeloading?

Well thats what I said and you disagreed with it, so...

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    That seems a bit much now. bills should be split equally and maybe if you add on an extra 100 that would be fair. 4 ways when 2 of ye are in the same room is too much. I would move out and find a place of your own at that price.

I'm really considering it, we are happy here though and if we can sort this out then we will stay, it's in a really nice area and what we would get on our own would be nothing compared to our house at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You should all pay 25% each now.

Its not just the room, all the living space/kitchen/fridge are now being used by 4 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can you not see they are being perfectly reasonable in dividing the rent by 4. Think of what they're giving up by having a fourth person in the gaff. And the bedroom "noise" the pair of you are gonna make;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I think the lads are dead right, they no longer live with 2 other people, they now live with 3 other people and thats not what they signed up for. More than that, 2 of the people are a couple with the baggage that brings.

4 people in the house, split it 4 ways.

This.

Fairest all round. Split it 4 ways, or move out. The living arrangements went from being an uncomplicated 3 lads sharing to 2 lads and a couple.

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭bloominballix

But you're not paying half the monthly rent, you're paying a quarter of it for one room whereas before you were paying a third of it. Or are you saying you'll be paying your girlfriend's share too?

Your flat mates are now sharing with a couple, whether you have sky in your room is irrelevant. I'd be expecting a significant drop in rent if I was put in that situation.

Also the fact you moved her in without even offering to pay more rent is cheeky as **** by the way.

You paying half the rent? Whats your girlfriend paying? Surely you would be paying 233 each, which is actually less than the other flatmates? Or is she freeloading?

Nobody freeloading, the 416 is paid every month and bills are 4 ways, if she pays 233 is irrelevant as long as the rent is paid

They're not being reasonable though. Even if the OP was making full use of the living space, which he says he's not, the couple still only have one bedroom. It's fair the bills get split 4 ways but the rent should be on a room basis plus an 'inconvenience' fee. I'd suggest €500 from the OP with the €750 split at €375 each.

Nobody freeloading, the 416 is paid every month and bills are 4 ways, if she pays 233 is irrelevant as long as the rent is paid

Nope, it's not irrevelant. You two now make up 1/2 the people living in the house, you should pay half the rent

But you're not paying half the monthly rent, you're paying a quarter of it for one room whereas before you were paying a third of it. Or are you saying you'll be paying your girlfriend's share too?

Your flat mates are now sharing with a couple, whether you have sky in your room is irrelevant. I'd be expecting a significant drop in rent if I was put in that situation.

Also the fact you moved her in without even offering to pay more rent is cheeky as **** by the way.
    No, they now want half the monthly rent which is 625 a month, iv said I will pay more rent but I'm not going paying half.
    Myself and my girlfriend have shared finances if you are wondering so it is us paying the rent not just me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

3 bed house : 1250

3 bed + 1 communal area = 1250/4 = 312.50
    communal area 312.50 divided by 4 people (3 lads and 1 girl) = 78.12 per person

bedroom 1 - 312.50 + 78.12 = 390.62
    bedroom 2 - 312.50 + 78.12 = 390.62
    bedroom 3 - 312.50 + 2(78.12) = 468.74

I would say is the fairest amounts, you could round these to save hassle.

• Advertisement

Nope, it's not irrevelant. You two now make up 1/2 the people living in the house, you should pay half the rent

Maybe we make up half people living but I only take up 1/3 of bedrooms and iv offered to pay more for having her living there but half is too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

She doesn't pay does she? This is where you have been found out.

Yea Eric they are exactly the figures I'm suggesting and I think they are fair!

Not sure why this is relevant. If he want to pay for her to live there more power too him. My wife pays for me :pac:

We have shared finances, joint account!!

I'll be honest and say that if I lived there and moved in with two other single lads, I'd not want more money for your girlfriend moving in. Instead I'd simply object to it.

In my (admittedly limited) experience of this kinda thing, once there's a 'couple' in the house, the whole dynamic of the house changes (not for the better). I'd say they're right in asking for the rent to be divided in four now.

I was going to suggest something similar based on sq footage. But really it's splitting hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Maybe we make up half people living but I only take up 1/3 of bedrooms and iv offered to pay more for having her living there but half is too much

Can she not pay her share of the rent herself? It would save you a lot of money every month.

Half is not too much, half is fair.

When three rented the house it was split three ways. Now there are 4 living there, it should be split 4 ways. Whatever you've done with the bedroom you two are sharing doesn't come into it. The fact remains the other two lads now have to share the rest of the house with an extra person

Either the two of you pay half or move out, THAT'S fair

• Advertisement

Not sure why this is relevant. If he want to pay for her to live there more power too him. My wife pays for me :pac:

Exactly, what difference does it make where the money comes from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement