Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend just moved in, rent divide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Graham wrote: »
    That doesn't sound very reasonable. You're suggesting someone with half a twin-room pays as much as someone who gets their own room.

But they chose to share a room, being a couple and all that. If they had a whole 8 bedroom house to themselves, they'd still feckin sleep together.

4 people - split 4 ways. Bathroom, kitchen etc are used by all the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3 bed house : 1250

3 bed + 1 communal area = 1250/4 = 312.50
    communal area 312.50 divided by 4 people (3 lads and 1 girl) = 78.12 per person

bedroom 1 - 312.50 + 78.12 = 390.62
    bedroom 2 - 312.50 + 78.12 = 390.62
    bedroom 3 - 312.50 + 2(78.12) = 468.74

I would say is the fairest amounts, you could round these to save hassle.

That's only fair if the living area is equal to the one bedroom. Which prob isn't the case.
    It's likely that the living are is 3 or more rooms. Which means that it should take up more of the $1250 than 1/4.

If you say the living areas are equal to all the bedroom (for example if it was half the area). Then you get my numbers above.

If the living area is bigger than a single bedroom, but smaller than all the bedrooms then a 2:3 split makes most sense.
    3 bed + 2 communal area = 1250/5 = 250
    communal areas 500 (250 x 2) divided by 4 people (3 lads and 1 girl) = 125 per person

bedroom 1 - 250 + 125 = 375
    bedroom 2 - 250 + 125 = 375
    bedroom 3 - 250 + 2(125) = 500

OP should be paying 500 or 520 imo, depending on the size of the living area relative to the bedrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

What if his girlfriend slept in a different room each night?

Wouldn't that make things equitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You pay €550 and your house mates pay €350 each. Split bills /4.

You need to compromise in some way. I assume they could kick your misses out if they wanted to.

So everyone's rent/mortgage should be based on the number of people in a property then? I must get on to my tenants and double their rent as there are two of them!

No, the rent is set for the whole house.
    It was split 3 ways & now there are 4 people living there, it should be split 4 ways.
    The 3 guys will all be paying less rent then.
    Seems fair to me.

Sounds like the OP was chancing his arm moving the girlfriend in hoping for cheap rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Hi OP, essentially your GF is living there for free. So the bills have been split four ways. So that means the two lads in the house now pay a few euro less than they were before for bills. It's hardly worth having another person in the house for, especially as that other person is part of a couple...which they didn't sign up for.

I think it would be "fair" if she contributed to the rent of the house...id be damn annoyed if I was paying for a room in a house and the person in the next room wasn't. Having said that I don't believe it should be at the same rate. Something like €50 a week and for her to keep paying 1/4 of the bills would seem fair to me.

Yes we have said we will pay more rent, it is currently 416 each at the minute but because my gf is there is saying we will pay 466 while they pay 390 or so, we agree to paying more. I want to sort this but if we have to move to keep everyone happy we will

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

But they chose to share a room, being a couple and all that. If they had a whole 8 bedroom house to themselves, they'd still feckin sleep together.

4 people - split 4 ways. Bathroom, kitchen etc are used by all the tenants.

I understand they chose to share a room but in no other circumstances would it be considered reasonable for half a twin room in a house share to cost the same as a room occupied by a single person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Perhaps they're trying to price in the hassle of having a couple in their house share. Maybe in the hope that they'll decide that it's as easy to find a place of their own.

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, the rent is set for the whole house.
    It was split 3 ways & now there are 4 people living there, it should be split 4 ways.
    The 3 guys will all be paying less rent then.
    Seems fair to me.

Sounds like the OP was chancing his arm moving the girlfriend in hoping for cheap rent.

the lads had no problem with her moving in, and I don't mind them one bit asking for more rent, I'm more than willing to give more but sharing a room in a 3 bed house is not equivalent to half the rent

You know that if her name is not on the lease then she can be kicked out at literally any moment don't you OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TheBully wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick with 466, it's unreasonable to be expected to pay 625 imo,
    Why are you approaching it like 466 or 625 are the only options?

The middle ground is everyone should be equally happy.
    You've been given a logically way to justify either €500 or €520. That the fairest range by a long shot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

That doesn't sound very reasonable. You're suggesting someone with half a twin-room pays as much as someone who gets their own room.

It's a house share, not a room rent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes we have said we will pay more rent, it is currently 416 each at the minute but because my gf is there is saying we will pay 466 while they pay 390 or so, we agree to paying more. I want to sort this but if we have to move to keep everyone happy we will

Basically, for the hassle of having an extra person and a couple in their house they get a massive €26 reduction in rent.

Meanwhile, your rent effectively drops to €233, a drop of €183. Very nice.

That you think this is fair says a lot.

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you approaching it like 466 or 625 are the only options?

The middle ground is everyone should be equally happy.
    You've been given a logically way to justify either €500 or €520. That the fairest range by a long shot imo.

Yes Ok I agree 500 is fair, and I would be happy enough with that. Il give them that figure tomorrow and see what the response is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I think the thread splits two ways OP. People who can do maths and... :pac:

Seriously though 3 beds, you're only using 1. I could understand if you were suggesting only paying 1/3 but you're not. Plenty of options to take your pick from none of the sensible ones are a 1/3 or 1/4 split.

The people taking umbrage that she's 'not paying her way' are pretty laughable; obviously never heard of a couple living (almost) as cheaply as one?

You want to pay 466 and them 392 each, would you stop. How is that reasonable!? If it was me I wouldn't let it go for less than 500/550 and to me that's reasonable. Split between you and the girlfriend your still paying less than before at 250/275 compared to 400+

the lads had no problem with her moving in, and I don't mind them one bit asking for more rent, I'm more than willing to give more but sharing a room in a 3 bed house is not equivalent to half the rent

OP, the problem your obviously having is everyone has a different opinion of what's reasonable. Including your housemates.

I think your best bet is to offer your flat mates what you think is a reasonable rent split. If they're not happy with the proposal then it's time to start flat hunting.

Personally I think somewhere around 500/375/375 is reasonable.

Basically, for the hassle of having an extra person and a couple in their house they get a massive €26 reduction in rent.

(I'd pay double that to not share with a bloody couple.)

Meanwhile, your rent effectively drops to €233, a drop of €183. Very nice.

That you think this is fair says a lot.
    We are not your typical couple, I work days mon-sat, my gf works nights mon to Friday, the lads go home every weekend. We see each other about 2 hours a day so it's not like we take over house or anything,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just move out. Then both couples will be paying 100% their own.

OP, the problem your obviously having is everyone has a different opinion of what's reasonable. Including your housemates.

I think your best bet is to offer your flat mates what you think is a reasonable rent split. If they're not happy with the proposal then it's time to start flat hunting.

Personally I think somewhere around 500/375/375 is reasonable.

Yes I'm gonna go with 500/375/375, that is reasonable after looking at all the options given toight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think the thread splits two ways OP. People who can do maths and... :pac:

Seriously though 3 beds, you're only using 1. I could understand if you were suggesting only paying 1/3 but you're not. Plenty of options to take your pick from none of the sensible ones are a 1/3 or 1/4 split.

The people taking umbrage that she's 'not paying her way' are pretty laughable; obviously never heard of a couple living (almost) as cheaply as one?

If the g/f was never using the kitchen, or any of the appliances, or the bathroom, or any of the common areas of the house apart from the hall, stairs and landing as she made her way to the room she shares THEN anything other than a 4 way split would be fair. But she DOES use the common areas. So a four way split is fairest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It's a house share, not a room rent

House shares rarely divide equally. A box room is not the same as a master ensuite.

Yes Ok I agree 500 is fair, and I would be happy enough with that. Il give them that figure tomorrow and see what the response is

Yes that extra 34 euro is bound to make all the difference :rolleyes:

Yes that extra 34 euro is bound to make all the difference :rolleyes:

Time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If the g/f was never using the kitchen, or any of the appliances, or the bathroom, or any of the common areas of the house apart from the hall, stairs and landing as she made her way to the room she shares THEN anything other than a 4 way split would be fair. But she DOES use the common areas. So a four way split is fairest

How do you work that one out?

A 4 way split on the common areas is. A three way split on the bedrooms is. The maths on that have been done half a dozen times in thread. I would then err on the side of adding a bit more in and figures or €500 and €520 have been arrived at which is reasonable.

Go 550 OP

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Go 550 OP

No I gonna go with 500 and see the response, I think in and around that figure is fair and takes into account a shared common area

Thanks for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As is

You are right, you do struggle with maths, unless you think that 2 of the 4 people sharing that house would not be paying €233 each under the OP's suggestion.

The OP's working hours and social habits are irrelevant, what is completely relevant is pointing out that he is trying to sell his housemates a pup by offering them €26 each to now live with an extra person in their house, and a couple to boot.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help guys

Best of luck, I wouldn't completely rule out the extra €50. It might be worth it to avoid the hassle of moving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement