Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend just moved in, rent divide

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You are right, you do struggle with maths, unless you think that 2 of the 4 people sharing that house would not be paying €233 each under the OP's suggestion.

The OP's working hours and social habits are irrelevant, what is completely relevant is pointing out that he is trying to sell his housemates a pup by offering them €26 each to now live with an extra person in their house, and a couple to boot.

What each individual is paying is irrelevant. No one, literally no one has suggested a 3 way split is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I get the feeling that the final decision rests with the GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Graham wrote: »
    Best of luck, I wouldn't completely rule out the extra €50. It might be worth it to avoid the hassle of moving.

Yea I will see how that goes down, I don't want to move as apart from this things are generally good here, we go out together etc. But if that's what it comes to them that's what happens. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

500-520 seems fair although if they are looking for over 600 might have to go for 520-550. Wouldnt go over 550.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I think 550 would be my max too

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I think 550 would be my max too

Go in with €500 then and have some wriggle room and a hope that the two other tenants aren't on boards!

Also who's got the bigger room OP? Who has the drive for parking?

Yea they are looking for 625, which is exactly half! Iv already said that's def not happening and to leave it with me until I can find a fair figure, il give 500 tomorrow and see response, but indef won't go over 550, I'd move out of city and get my own place if they want more than that. Il keep in touch anyway

If this turns into another safe thread...

Go in with €500 then and have some wriggle room and a hope that the two other tenants aren't on boards!

Also who's got the bigger room OP? Who has the drive for parking?

3 beds same size, we have 2 car parking spots outside but on street parking is not an issue, we have 5 vehicles between us

If this turns into another safe thread...

I think it has .....

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    3 beds same size, we have 2 car parking spots outside but on street parking is not an issue, we have 5 vehicles between us

Very odd design of house if the beds are the same size, but then this is Cork. Obviously keep the flatmates sweet by using the on street rather than the drive etc.

For goodness sake write all this down this time!

Best of luck

Very odd design of house if the beds are the same size, but then this is Cork. Obviously keep the flatmates sweet by using the on street rather than the drive etc.

For goodness sake write all this down this time!

Best of luck

Well they are much and much, 2 fairly big rooms and one big room, all double though.ya the parking isn't an issue, it's a housing estate and nobody minds where they park,must depends who's home first, thanks for ur help mark, il let ya know how it goes!i think we came to a sensible figure Cheers man,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think you have it spot on OP.

If your housemates are too inconvenienced by your girlfriend then they shouldn't have agreed to her moving in.

So now that she's in its about finding a fair price. And like a previous poster said its quite simple. It should be more than what you previously paid (33%) cos there is now a 4th person in the house. And it should be less than half the rent 'cos you are still having just the one bedroom. You could meet in the middle or you could cut them a little slack. A 4th person in the house is quite a bit different. I think a figure between 550 and 575 is probably fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Boskowski wrote: »
    So now that she's in its about finding a fair price.

It would be foolhardy to rely upon that. If no agreement is reached they will be within their rights to insist she move out, which should be remembered before taking a hard line.

It would be foolhardy to rely upon that. If no agreement is reached they will be within their rights to insist she move out, which should be remembered before taking a hard line.

Not if they've allowed her to move in already. We're going to start getting into estoppel arguments here so I'll just leave it as an unbacked up statement :D

Nobody is going to insist on anyone moving out, the lads want this sorted,i want this sorted, nobody is moving out once a fair figure is reached, it will be a compromise by I'm sure we will come to a conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

In order to avoid this becoming another safe thread with pages of repeated comments and "are we there yet " type posts the thread is being closed temporarily. OP when you have an update please pm an A&P mod to reopen for the update. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement