Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs Brown's Boys

• 22-12-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching tonight.
    The seasonal televisual series of assaults have begun.

Had this on in the background there and wanted to see what the appeal was. Tried to reserve judgemnet and enjoy it but just couldn't. It really is terrible.

I'm baffled at its popularity:
    Mrs Brown gets the wrong end of the stick.
    Dick joke.
    Rory is camp.
    Pussy joke.
    Minor crisis from above.
    Dick joke.
    Resolution
    Pussy joke
    Rory is gay
    Repeat for 30 mins

If this is the best Irish comedy offers i find it seriously depressing.
    And it's not family viewing. So who it appeals to I dunno.

I know people like it so it's just an opinion. It's just baffling.
    The Bafta has only emboldened it unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

This seems like a good thread to post this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

OH GOD this is awful sh1te, its on rte and bbc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Vested interest joe duffy nearly blew his load last week telling his listners that mrs browns bastards was on somthing like 15 times on tv over xmas n new years. Its utter tripe that belongs back in the 1960s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny if you let it be
    No need to over analyze it
    The simplicity is on purpose
    The humor old but classic

Well millions do love it I grant you, but I find it awful garbage.

• Advertisement

New movie will start filming soon
    You should pre-order a ticket

New movie will start filming soon
    You should pre-order a ticket

Nice one, I did go to the 1st one with the wife(loves it) and I got 2 half laughs, I was grumbling so much during DA Movie she told me to shut up or leave. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Proper comedy on BBC2!

Back Of The Net :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dreadful stuff. Can't abide seeing a glimpse of it at all. Comedy aimed at the lowest form of wit.

Brendan does seem to be generous with his wealth. Have to hand him that.

Proper comedy on BBC2!

Well I know he stole my name and I love the series but the movie wasn't great.

• Advertisement

Proper comedy on BBC2!

In the Channel 4 poll Britain's Best Loved Sitcoms "Mrs Brown's Boys" came 10th whilst "I'm Alan Partridge" came 46th. There's just no accounting for taste.

I know which I prefer but to each his own. I also enjoyed "We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story"

''Dermot wanted for xmas something to wear and something to play with, so I got him some new trousers and cut the pockets out. He still has them''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The 'humour' seems to depend entirely on expletives. Hardly classic comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I thought the 2014 MBB Christmas special (tonight's one) was a bit patchy and short on laughs just watching it back there. Hopefully this year's one is an improvement.

Innuendo is classic
    From carry on
    To Benny Hill

Innuendo is classic
    From carry on
    To Benny Hill

Ooh... You Are Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Innuendo is classic
    From carry on
    To Benny Hill

So tantalisingly close to a haiku there.

Mrs Brown Haiku:

Brendan O'Carroll
    Is dressed up as a woman
    Loudly shouting "f*ck!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Millions read The Sun and go to Fast and Furious and Transformers etc, the masses have crap taste , always have, always will. They wouldn't get a show like Peep Show because a lot of it's references are too smart.

Millions read The Sun and go to Fast and Furious and Transformers etc, the masses have crap taste , always have, always will. They wouldn't get a show like Peep Show because a lot of it's references are too smart.

Some folk, after a hard days work, like to unwind by switching their brains off and having a good old belly laugh. It's got nothing to do a persons IQ.

If fans of Peep Show really think they are the intelligentsia of the TV viewing public then they are not as smart as they think they are.

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    Some folk, after a hard days work, like to unwind by switching their brains off and having a good old belly laugh. It's got nothing to do a persons IQ.

If fans of Peep Show really think they are the intelligentsia of the TV viewing public then they are not as smart as they think they are.

I don't think Peep Show fans generally think that, it's mainly dick jokes anyway. It's just that they're funnier dick jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Brendan Carroll is talentless and this programme is jaw droppingly bad. The guy says **** and it qualifies as comedy it's his one trump card in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Kev W wrote: »
    I don't think Peep Show fans generally think that, it's mainly dick jokes anyway. It's just that they're funnier dick jokes.

And jokes about the Byzantine Church and The New Deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Father Ted Christmas Special on Channel 4 is tonight's alternative!

The money was just resting in my account :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Oh brilliant, Mrs Brown's Boys is on.

^ Something I've never heard anybody say, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

I'm a fan of Alan Partridge *and* Mrs Brown, so I don't really buy the 'MBB is for stupid people' argument either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Father Ted Christmas Special on Channel 4 is tonight's alternative!

The money was just resting in my account :)

The sign of a great tv show (or fillum) is the amount of catch phrases from it, that just take on a life of their own. Off the top of my head, I can think of 10 Fr Ted catch phrases that I say all the time, my family says all the time & you read/see/hear in the meeja all the time.

Can not think of one single memorable line from Mrs Browns Boys. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

Another stolen joke, this time from Karl Pilkington (Dracula reflection)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ProudDUB wrote: »

Can not think of one single memorable line from Mrs Browns Boys. Ever.

That's nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah im done with it im afraid. twas a laugh but ive moved on. best of luck to them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm not surprised that Brendan O'Carroll and Joe Duffy have a mutual admiration society going. Brendan gets all his, (ancient), gags from the Funny Friday crew which Joe laughs at like giggling schoolgirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watching it at the moment. I'll admit that I've laughed at a few things in the show on previous occasions but it's the same gags over and over again.

It's nice that an Irish product is doing so well but it's so stale.

I'm beginning to think that they actually script people "forgetting" their lines now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

There's a sizeable amount of the population that are over 70. A lot of people who I'd call the "winning streak" crowd. And a lot of them are British also. Not everyone ages the way Patrick Stewart does.

There shouldn't be any assumption that because something is very popular it must be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lowest common denominator shit that would be the worst show on television if only it wasn't superseded by Big Bang Theory and Miranda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The sign of a great tv show (or fillum) is the amount of catch phrases from it

Are you having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's nice that an Irish product is doing so well but it's so stale.

My theory is that the BBC would never have touched it if the show was British as it's so reminiscent of TV coming out of the 1970s but being by Irish it falls under multicultural programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What I hate most is the terrible acting.

I'll admit I watched it the odd time and have got a few laughs out of it, but its not appointment viewing.

But some of the acting is cat.
    The grey haired guy who plays one of the sons, Mark I think it is, he is brutal.
    Same goes for the daughter, Kathy I think.

I hear that they are all related to O Carroll in some way, well he should ditch the nepotism and hire some decent actors.

What I hate most is the terrible acting. I'll admit I watched it the odd time and have got a few laughs out of it, but its not appointment viewing.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Brendan O'Carroll certainly has comic talent and is good at the one liners. But his writing alone is not enough to sustain the movie or the series, not if it is to be taken seriously as a comedy series.

Tried to watch the movie
    I could not
    It was very poor
    Out takes left in during editing?
    WTF
    I could not watch
    I might try again tomorrow

• Advertisement

There's a sizeable amount of the population that are over 70. A lot of people who I'd call the "winning streak" crowd. And a lot of them are British also. Not everyone ages the way Patrick Stewart does.

There shouldn't be any assumption that because something is very popular it must be good.

That theory works just as well in reverse of course and when you see that the Christmas specials get around 8 or 9m viewers in the UK, there is clearly a lot more than just over 70s watching and enjoying it.......sounds more like entire families are watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Mrs Brown gets the wrong end of the stick.
    Dick joke.
    Rory is camp.
    Pussy joke.
    Minor crisis from above.
    Dick joke.
    Resolution
    Pussy joke
    Rory is gay
    Repeat for 30 mins

What's not to like? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I had the misfortune of seeing the film tonight. What an awful load of old ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I'll sum up the movie:

Blind people can't see things
    Asian people talk funny
    Gay people are camp
    Men dressed as women are hilarious
    Tourettes is great comedy material

If someone tried to produce an American version of this they'd probably be arrested.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Blind people can't see things
    Asian people talk funny
    Gay people are camp
    Men dressed as women are hilarious
    Tourettes is great comedy material

You just reminded me of a controversy at the time it was released. I'd almost forgotten about this. Joe Duffy lashed back at the review of the movie that was on Arena.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/duffy-leaps-to-defence-of-movie-after-racism-claim-30393795.html
    Joe Duffy: "I was in Gorey for the weekend and I'm being stopped by people on the street talking about the movie and they all said they thoroughly enjoyed it," he told comedian and 'Mrs Brown's Boys' creator Brendan O'Carroll who was the guest host of the popular weekend radio slot yesterday. Mr Duffy said he also questioned the critic's claims that the film was "racist, sexist and homophobic". "That's a pretty serious charge," he said, noting that anyone "with even a cursory knowledge" of O'Carroll knows "there's not a racist bone in your body".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that they actually script people "forgetting" their lines now.

That's my biggest issue with it too. It's too obvious that it's all scripted and planned, even the bits that look specifically like they're not scripted and planned.

Like the bit last night with the egg being smashed by the present, and they all looked shocked that it smashed, and it was supposed to be a rubber egg.

No, there was no reason for the egg to be in the scene at all other than to be smashed by the present, and it was left exactly where yer man was going to slam down (not put down, slam down) the present.

But, still kinda made me laugh, and made the rest of my family laugh. What it's all about at the end of the day.

Penn wrote: »
    That's my biggest issue with it too. It's too obvious that it's all scripted and planned, even the bits that look specifically like they're not scripted and planned.

I think this was one of the many things that didnt translate to the big screen. It would have been hard enough to keep the audience's attention with the paper thin plot that was there already, without having the actors start laughing and then immediately restarting a new take.

The film was beautifully shot though, but it's a bit like having a Rolls Royce engine in a Mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Penn wrote: »
    That's my biggest issue with it too. It's too obvious that it's all scripted and planned,

We were supposed to believe the two boys learned a dance sequence because Brendan is such a legendary improviser.

'That's riiight'' *wrinkle nose, look at camera over glasses*

Is it true the actress that plays Winnie left the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is it true the actress that plays Winnie left the show?

Brendan's sister? She was in it last night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement