Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! High pitch noise coming from somewhere

• 22-12-2015 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Over the past number of weeks, I've become aware of a higher pitch, low volume noise. It's almost inaudible (but just) during the day but so loud during the night that I can't sleep.
    And it's so high pitch that my partner can't hear it.
    Others have noticed it so I've ruled out Tinnitus.
    Problem is it is strongest in my bedroom (and it seems to travel through objects eg my pillow) and adjoining bedroom, and when I go outside the road noise prevents me from location the source effectively.
    It's driving me nuts. NUTS!!
    Please can someone suggest a method of locating source. And don't even think of mentioning ****ing TINNITUS
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think the first think to do is start taking note of when it is there but more importantly when is it not.
    then start trying to rule out various things, such as what business are open etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭T5180

If you have thermostatic valves on you radiators these can give off a high pitched whistle , adjusting them slightly will sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it continuous? Our fridge compressor gives off an almost inaudible whine sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wakachaka

It is continuous. And I'm convinced it's coming from a distant source outside. I live in a hollow though and it's difficult to locate direction of source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start by excluding local appliances. Turn everything off (one thing at the time) and see if it helps.
    Then move to appliances around the farm.

Ask neighbours if anyone else have heard it. Maybe someone have got a new generator of some kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭T5180

Hi frequency sounds do not usually travel long distances but the lower ranges can .High pitches would be associated with air leaks,valves, capacitors,or very high rpm equipment. There are companies that will carry out an acoustic survey for you if you are really desperate.
    If possible turn off all the power into your building and see if it changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭brevity

Any plug sockets by your bed? Maybe it's a charger or a weak wire in a plug?

Or else its the dreaded laois hum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

T5180 wrote: »
    Hi frequency sounds do not usually travel long distances but the lower ranges can .High pitches would be associated with air leaks,valves, capacitors,or very high rpm equipment. There are companies that will carry out an acoustic survey for you if you are really desperate.
    If possible turn off all the power into your building and see if it changes.

Do you know names of companies that could do the survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

biko wrote: »
    Start by excluding local appliances. Turn everything off (one thing at the time) and see if it helps.
    Then move to appliances around the farm.

Ask neighbours if anyone else have heard it. Maybe someone have got a new generator of some kind.

If he can turn all electrical equipment off at once it would narrow down to his house. Or not.

If he can turn all electrical equipment off at once it would narrow down to his house. Or not.

Tried that. Turned off electricity, set off alarms, did the whole tube location trick, its also audible outside of the house and maybe just a little less than a kilometre from the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you live in a housing estate, are there annoying teenagers around?

There is a machine that emits a noise that is meant to only affect teenagers, but often affects older people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Any wind turbines in your vicinity? They have been known to cause all kinds of unexpected effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

I had a problem like this for a while it was driving me mad I would hear this whistling noise at night sometimes could not sleep some nights
    went to all the neighbours to see had they anything running at night {farmers}
    was walking across my yard one day when I looked up and noticed a prong missing of my tv aerial turns out it had broke off in the wind and left a hole in the main tube then when the wind was blowing it was causing a whistling noise
    changed the aerial and the problem was solved

Advertisement