Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Marmotte des Pyrenées

Options
  • 22-12-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

La Marmotte des Pyrenées
    New sportive on 28th August 2016.
    It's been talked about for years, now it is going to happen. Run annually on the last Sunday of August. 2016 is restricted to 2500 riders. More details will be available in January.

160km with 5300m climbing.
    Start Argeles-Gazost.
    Col du Tourmalet.
    Col d'Aspin
    La Hourquette d’Ancizan
    Col du Tourmalet.
    Finish on Luz Ardiden.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3813094

marmotte-pyrenees.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Looks completely brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Looks completely brutal!

I think that was the plan. Less km than the Alps but more climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Wow, that brings back memories. Tourmalet in the same day twice is on a new level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds great! I'm really tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Will never get the chance to attempt the actual event as I am a teacher and we are always back to school that date. Will definitely have to get to the Pyrenees though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Just home from the Marmotte Pyrenees, tough day on the bike but really enjoyed it . Would also advise all cyclists that haven't been to the Pyrenees to try and take a cycling holiday there if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

La Marmotte des Pyrenées
    New sportive on 28th August 2016.
    It's been talked about for years, now it is going to happen. Run annually on the last Sunday of August. 2016 is restricted to 2500 riders. More details will be available in January.

160km with 5300m climbing.
    Start Argeles-Gazost.
    Col du Tourmalet.
    Col d'Aspin
    La Hourquette d’Ancizan
    Col du Tourmalet.
    Finish on Luz Ardiden.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3813094

marmotte-pyrenees.jpg
    bloody hell that looks savage, still I'd love to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'ts a tough route for sure but very doable if you put the training in. Absolutely beautiful part of France too with spectacular iconic climbs on good surfaces with much less traffic volume than the Alps. The climbs in the Pyrenees are far more irregular in terms of gradient in comparison to the Alps which makes them a bit tougher in my opinion and the scenery is even better...a must visit for all cyclists.

Advertisement