Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stuff that makes the Rockets go Go GOOOOOOOOOO! - VID

Options
  • 23-12-2015 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Little vid on the Fuels used to get all these Rockets blasting off lately. Wait till you hear the pop when he mixes the good stuff and the speed of the reaction,:eek: must have been fun times when they were trying to figure how to to get it to work without blowing themselves up...thats actually worth a google...

The crowd that put up that vid actually have a heap of other good looking ones. Good few spacey ones in the last while.

The Royal Institution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Cheers, interesting stuff there.I never get tired of watching the shuttle launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The hyperbolic stuff has been in use for a long time. IIRC the WW2 German Komet rocket plane ran its engines on that kinda process.

Me+163+Komet.jpg

Horrible stuff from what I've read and extremely volatile. So much so that when the war was over the allies only ever(again IIRC) conducted gliding tests with the Komets they'd taken from the Germans. It was basically a high speed delta winged suicide device if one wasn't an extremely gifted pilot(and lucky).

The Apollo Lunar lander used this principle too in it's main engine and instead of pumps which might fail, they used pressurised helium to force the propellents together. Very clever altogether. Actually the LEM is a wonder in of itself. A true spacecraft that required an amazingly long list of engineering hurdles to overcome in an even more remarkably short time. A rocket motor that could be throttled and stopped and restarted for a start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

must have been fun times when they were trying to figure how to to get it to work without blowing themselves up...thats actually worth a google...
    Here ya go , well worth a read.

Some lovely bits in it.
    Like the military vetoing using Cyanide as a fuel, even though they'd already tried more toxic things. And if working with fluorine the best protective gear is a good pair of runners.

library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Here ya go , well worth a read.

Some lovely bits in it.
    Like the military vetoing using Cyanide as a fuel, even though they'd already tried more toxic things. And if working with fluorine the best protective gear is a good pair of runners.

www.library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

Does that link work for everyone?:confused:

It won't open in Iron Browser for me, Firefox opens it but it's 233 pages and 231 of them are blank. Problems probably my end, il get it going....thanks Cap, I'd forgotten to go looking for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does that link work for everyone?:confused:

It won't open in Iron Browser for me, Firefox opens it but it's 233 pages and 231 of them are blank. Problems probably my end, il get it going....thanks Cap, I'd forgotten to go looking for this.
    Link fixed :o

Advertisement