Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options

Options
  • 23-12-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I want to upgrade my computer so here is my current specs
    Intel core 2 quad Q8300 2.5Ghz
    8Gb G.skill PC8500 ram DDR2
    500GB wd hard drive
    Radeon HD4650 graphic card.
    400W corsair

So i have a 22" screen, keyboard, mouse, Samsung 850 evo 250gb and a 640Gb WD already.

Can anyone recommend a good upgrade for 300 to 400Euro

I do no gaming just vmware (virtual computers for study), browsing internet and so on.

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Maybe grab a cheap i7-2X00K secondhand with the RAM and Mobo (Q8300 - where they DDR2 or 3?) and maybe 16GB of RAM for VMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

My current memory is ddr2 only. I know I don't really need an upgrade but the Samsung 850 evo is only getting read speeds so 284 where its Max is 540 I have also had the machine for 7 years.

jhud wrote: »
    My current memory is ddr2 only. I know I don't really need an upgrade but the Samsung 850 evo is only getting read speeds so 284 where its Max is 540 I have also had the machine for 7 years.

I deleted that bit as you probably do need an upgrade to be fair.

I think €250 for mobo, cpu and RAM and you'll be golden. Aim for an I7 sandy/ivy bridge K sku. Should be plenty after Xmas!

Advertisement