Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tick rate

• 23-12-2015 5:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain how "upping" tick rate on servers works?

AFAIK my computer has an internet connection...... it also has a game....I wish to play this game online vs other players and when i shoot them they die.

Now my computer is "decent" and my internet is "decent". My ping ie the time it takes "something" from my computer to go the server and get back again is "decent".

Now when I play certain games tick rate is not mentioned, its not even a buzzword. But when I play other games "tick rate " is mentioned. Is tick rate a game specific thing?

I learned stuff about ping and packets, does tick rate supercede all of that?

?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It just means the rate at which your game sends updates to the server, or the server sends updates to your game.

So a tick rate of 30, updates the game/server 30 times a second. 60, updates 60 times a second etc. As you can imagine upping it to 60 would double the speed at which your game gets updates. higher tick rate should equal a smoother experience.

You shoot the other guy, it takes 1/60th of a second to update the server then 1/60th of a second for the server to update both your games. Dropping that to 30 means it takes twice as long to update so the experience is a little less smooth.

Generally games use a higher downrate than up rate as it needs to download info on everyone else on the server to your game. But only needs to upload info on your one character to the server.

Your pc does need to process this info and render it in game which is why some games need to limit tick rate so the game runs ok for everyone as processors vary. Of course the ability for the server to process the information also sets the tick rate. Devs try to optimize it so it is as stable as possible.

Ping and connection will also impact that update getting to the server and back which can result in you experiencing lag.

Advertisement