Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary pay date

Options
  • 23-12-2015 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

To get paid on the 24th of December by the DES what date would the school needed to have put hours through on the ocls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

To get paid on the 24th of December by the DES what date would the school needed to have put hours through on the ocls?

Post Primary End of Year Payroll Closing date 18/12/2015 for pay day 07/01/2016

URGENT REMINDER - Please note that the end of year closing dates for the Post Primary payroll is 18th December in order to be paid salary on 07th January 2016. Please advise casual and non casual post primary teachers that the 07th January 2016 is the earliest pay date they may be paid for days worked between 14th December and 20th December inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Post Primary End of Year Payroll Closing date 18/12/2015 for pay day 07/01/2016

URGENT REMINDER - Please note that the end of year closing dates for the Post Primary payroll is 18th December in order to be paid salary on 07th January 2016. Please advise casual and non casual post primary teachers that the 07th January 2016 is the earliest pay date they may be paid for days worked between 14th December and 20th December inclusive.

Great. So a day subbed on December 8th should go through this week.

Pay went in yesterday. Less than I thought having worked 9 periods on the 8th. Taking in to consideration the new 35euro pay rate and no sign of emergency tax on it , I got a bit of a surprise. Could some of those nine periods I worked been s and s for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Is s & s paid for subs? If it's not paid shouldn't they refuse to do it, seeing as everyone else is on salary to do it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Nobody on salary gets paid to do s&s anymore. That's gone a long time. The salary I am on is for my teaching time not for the extra unpaid S&S I have to do

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Is s & s paid for subs? If it's not paid shouldn't they refuse to do it, seeing as everyone else is on salary to do it.
    Thanks

Thanks for that. I was told by the organiser of the s and s that I was to do it so I did the supervision . I didn't know any different. I think he may have been confused and thought I was the maternity leave replacement but I was only in for that day. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I was told by the organiser of the s and s that I was to do it so I did the supervision . I didn't know any different. I think he may have been confused and thought I was the maternity leave replacement but I was only in for that day. Lesson learned.

Just a bit of advice - if I was in your situation and have been - I have been more than happy to do the supervision - even if I'm only in for the day. I wouldn't like to see the reaction from the S&S organiser (as you say) who is probably the deputy and the person who rang you for work, when you tell him/her you're not doing the supervision. It doesn't give the best impression and you may not get another phone call. You'll do a lot more than a half an hour lunch supervision during your teaching career and if you're not in a job, you'll do all you can in order to get a job.

I'm not sure what sector you're in but take for instance a small primary school - do you let the children run wild in the playground while you sit in the staff room having your lunch? The situation isn't as bad with secondary where there are more teachers and the absence of a teacher is not the end of the world.

Sorry to be blunt but if I were a DP, I wouldn't be ringing you back if you told me you weren't doing supervision because you were only there for the day. I know people here will say that we do too much and jump through hoops to get noticed but I would prefer to get noticed for the positive than the negative.

Just a bit of advice - if I was in your situation and have been - I have been more than happy to do the supervision - even if I'm only in for the day. I wouldn't like to see the reaction from the S&S organiser (as you say) who is probably the deputy and the person who rang you for work, when you tell him/her you're not doing the supervision. It doesn't give the best impression and you may not get another phone call. You'll do a lot more than a half an hour lunch supervision during your teaching career and if you're not in a job, you'll do all you can in order to get a job.

I'm not sure what sector you're in but take for instance a small primary school - do you let the children run wild in the playground while you sit in the staff room having your lunch? The situation isn't as bad with secondary where there are more teachers and the absence of a teacher is not the end of the world.

Sorry to be blunt but if I were a DP, I wouldn't be ringing you back if you told me you weren't doing supervision because you were only there for the day. I know people here will say that we do too much and jump through hoops to get noticed but I would prefer to get noticed for the positive than the negative.

This man was an ordinary teacher. And by the way I did as I was told and there has been no call back anyway. It's a very large secondary school . That was one day of work and having subbed for many years . Don't make a judgement on someone you have not met.
    I ended up with considerably less than I would of got for a day from social welfare.

This man was an ordinary teacher. And by the way I did as I was told and there has been no call back anyway. It's a very large secondary school . That was one day of work and having subbed for many years . Don't make a judgement on someone you have not met.
    I ended up with considerably less than I would of got for a day from social welfare.

One day could lead to more. You have to 'play the game' in the hopes of getting more work.

I used to sub in a school about an hour away for a day and much preferred that to being on SW. It was good experience to see how different schools operate and get a school on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Absolutely you need to look out for your self. A friend once described day to day subbing being on a continuous roundabout with no exit. She left the roundabout after six years, now has a successful job in another area and lis living her much deserved life. Your time will come too , maybe it's not in a teaching career or maybe a maternity leave is just around the corner :) you just never know.
    It's also important that subs know their rights and responsibilities regarding substitute teaching. Not saying you did anything wrong but you shouldn't have been taken advantage of like that. It sounds like you only got paid for a hour or two but worked a full day? That's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The S&is rota is only for actual staff not subs, if you wer in on a mat leave you would probably get caught to do it but I have never heard of anyone in subbing for a day or two doing it...you were definitely taken advantage of.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Absolutely you need to look out for your self. A friend once described day to day subbing being on a continuous roundabout with no exit. She left the roundabout after six years, now has a successful job in another area and lis living her much deserved life. Your time will come too , maybe it's not in a teaching career or maybe a maternity leave is just around the corner :) you just never know.
    It's also important that subs know their rights and responsibilities regarding substitute teaching. Not saying you did anything wrong but you shouldn't have been taken advantage of like that. It sounds like you only got paid for a hour or two but worked a full day? That's just wrong.

That's it exactly. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Advertisement