Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Query

• 23-12-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm wondering can anyone enlighten me on a pension query.
    I am originally from the Rep. of Ireland and after I finished university I worked for a semi-state body for 4 years paying PRSI, PAYE and also paid monthly into a pension for those 4 years.
    I have since moved to the UK and began another job. I have never claimed any benefits while I lived in the Republic.

Can anyone tell me If I can get back any of the pension or monies that I paid in those years. I am now living here permanently and won't be moving back.

Can I ask for the pension money to be transferred to my new pension fund or do I get a sum of money back?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

xXLaneyXx wrote: »
    I'm wondering can anyone enlighten me on a pension query.
    I am originally from the Rep. of Ireland and after I finished university I worked for a semi-state body for 4 years paying PRSI, PAYE and also paid monthly into a pension for those 4 years.
    I have since moved to the UK and began another job. I have never claimed any benefits while I lived in the Republic.

Can anyone tell me If I can get back any of the pension or monies that I paid in those years. I am now living here permanently and won't be moving back.

Can I ask for the pension money to be transferred to my new pension fund or do I get a sum of money back?
    Thanks in advance.

You'll have what's called a preserved benefit. You won't be able encash it until retirement.

Depending on the type of scheme it may be possible to transfer it out into a policy in your own name, or a new employers scheme in the UK.

You should have been informed of your benefits when you left the old job. I'd suggest you contact personnel/scheme administrator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll have what's called a preserved benefit. You won't be able encash it until retirement.

OP might be able to cash it in (after deduction of tax) with less than 5 years service.

In the general public service (including Gardai, teachers etc.) the benefit is locked down after five years service and you have to wait to collect the deferred pension when you reach a certain age but with less than five years service, you can ask for the contributions to be returned net of tax.

But as you advised, he/she needs to ask the pension people in that semi-state company as they may have different rules for preserved benefits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

coylemj wrote: »
    OP might be able to cash it in (after deduction of tax) with less than 5 years service.

In the general public service (including Gardai, teachers etc.) the benefit is locked down after five years service and you have to wait to collect the deferred pension when you reach a certain age but with less than five years service, you can ask for the contributions to be returned net of tax.

But as you advised, he/she needs to ask the pension people in that semi-state company as they may have different rules for preserved benefits.

2 years scheme service is max. for a refund of contributions.

Advertisement