Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up iPad for kids.

• 23-12-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Got a iPad mini for my young lad. I have an iTunes account and I'm wondering if I should set up a separate account for his iPad or use my own.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Got a iPad mini for my young lad. I have an iTunes account and I'm wondering if I should set up a separate account for his iPad or use my own.

How old is he?

Me personally, I set my child up with his own yahoo email and his own iTunes account. He obviously doesn't know the password (4 yrs old) but it just means I can keep his iPad backed up independently, apps separate, movies etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Get him his own Apple ID and look into family sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

kceire wrote: »
    How old is he?

Me personally, I set my child up with his own yahoo email and his own iTunes account. He obviously doesn't know the password (4 yrs old) but it just means I can keep his iPad backed up independently, apps separate, movies etc etc

He's 7 years old I have apps that I paid for on my phone that he uses. Better take the hit and set up his own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Create a child's account with own appleid. Link it to yours through family sharing and away you go!!

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

The advice given above is perfect, please, please don't share an apple id, can get very messy believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm in a similar boat. We have 3 kids. Our house contains a combination of iPods, iPhones, iPad, Macbook & 2 Macs. Currently all working off my Apple ID, but using their own individual email addresses as the primary contact for their respective devices. I've also had iTunes Match subscription for years.

Was working fine until iMessages / Facetimes started appearing on the wrong devices. After a while, I figured out what was happening - anytime IOS is updated, it seems to reset the "You can be reached at the following email/phone number". It's all turning into a bit of a nightmare, because I don't always know if / when one of their devices has updated.

Anyway, I think it's time to re-think my strategy. Family share seems like a good option, but I have 2 questions:
    1. Is there any way to have iTunes Match across all devices?
    2. One of our kids is 13, so how does this get handled in Family Share? Apple's website it for kids up to 13.

Thanks

Advertisement