Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance

• 23-12-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

I searched but we haven’t had an insurance thread in a couple of years.

So as a complete noob to bike insurance in Ireland what do I have to look forward to?

Would like to get a general idea of what others are paying and how difficult it is to obtain for a new license holder

Are there discounts if you have a motorcar as your primary transport, or are the policies completely separate?

damn font

Edit: Gerrowadat has good vid here as a starting point, many thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcKWJAeWVX8&index=5&list=PLl9G7hBQk0LZ-YlE4V7Q2sbevruhd3g4Y

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

A friend of mine recently got a quote for fazer/bandit 600, he's been away from bikes about 10 years

Provisional licence
    Age 43
    Bike stored in garage
    Full car licence with 20 years
    Lowest was €370 from adelaide
    Every other company was higher

Would be nice to see a few more recent quotes from returning/learner bikers of all ages as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Thanks Ma, I plan on retiring to Ireland in the distant future and just trying to get my mind wrapped around average costs. As of now the BMW and Harley are definitely coming with me :)

I too would like to see a few more renewal or new rider insurance costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got my renewal from liberty the other day,
    23 yr old
    3 years no claims,
    99 deauville 650
    Provisional
    €40 a month so about €480 pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mamax wrote: »
    Lowest was €370 from adelaide
    honda boi wrote: »
    €40 a month so about €480 pa.

3rd Party or fully comp???

I just renewed mine.
    Liberty Insurance
    40-something yr old ;)
    1 year no claim
    F800GSA
    Learner permit

€650 (fully comp) Everyone else was nearly double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Paulw wrote: »

I just renewed mine.
    Liberty Insurance
    40-something yr old ;)
    1 year no claim
    F800GSA
    Learner permit

650 (fully comp) Everyone else was nearly double that.
    Sorry ye 3rd party fire and theft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There was a superthread on this. Anyway, I'm happy enough with mine. Renewed about 2 weeks ago with adelaide

Fully comp
    1100 Ducati Hypermotard
    38 years old
    5 years no claims
    Parked in Dublin 12.
    €330

Edit: im covered to ride other bikes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm closer to the OP's age and at this stage I think I've got to the bottom of the market, so to speak — last August when I renewed with Adelaide I queried why there was no reduction on the previous year, as I'd now 4 years' NCB instead of 3, and they said I/they "just couldn't get it any cheaper" (not south of the border, anyway...). It's the bog-standard RSA policy which doesn't cover driving other bikes.

Driver age 51, 4 years NCB, Honda CB-1 400cc, parked on drive in Limerick = €219 full comp.

Used to be €179 until Cornmarket took over Adelaide and the €40 commission became non-negotiable (I'd badgered the Adelaide salesmen into dropping it on my second renewal :D)

Has anyone here got a bike on the road for under €200?

That’s cheaper than I can get in the states. Basic on the BMW is $75; full comp on the Harley is $200

Auto insurance in Ireland is the killer. I’ll be driving a 1.1L Hyundai for five years that’s for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

peckerhead wrote: »

Has anyone here got a bike on the road for under €200?
    Just about, got mine for €204 in 2013 and since then €219

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »

Third party only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

Try Principle Insurance,based in Santry. Liberty took the mickey in Sept with a 85% increase from previous year and wouldnt budge. Got a quote from Principle back to below Libertys original from last year. Nice bunch and easy to deal with.---and TeabagMania the least of your worries will be insurance in this country.(Im contemplating the reverse--retirement in US)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That’s cheaper than I can get in the states. Basic on the BMW is $75; full comp on the Harley is $200

Auto insurance in Ireland is the killer. I’ll be driving a 1.1L Hyundai for five years that’s for sure

Don't want to rain on your parade, but the Hyundai will cost you more than your bikes. A lot more.

Have you kept (did you have), an Irish M/C licence ? - if the only licence you have is a US one, you'll have bigger issues to fix............

Not knowing what BMW you have I can't say, but Harley's have a conservative rating ( I have a RK).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Oh im well aware of the auto insurance being far more than the bike insurance, that’s in part why I wanted to bring the bikes as I hope to save a bit in the beginning.

Never had an Irish license of any sort, only have a US license and have already planned on doing the IBT and EDT at the same time. You can use your US license in Ireland for up to 12 months

Currently, 2013 BMW 1200 GS Adventure and 2015 Harley Street Glide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

Carole Nash do offer a multibike policy. Not sure if other companies do, so they might be cheapest if you are insuring two bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Cornmarket certainly do. I'm currently with them, since I got the 2nd bike (thus losing my NCB with liberty, boo-urns).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

That could get expensive….
    I paid €570 for a 1200GS last year with Adelaide. Liberty was looking for 800+. Principal wouldn’t quote for anybody without 2 years ‘recent’ insurance history.
    Details;
    Fully comp
    Based on a value of €10K on a 2010(TU)
    Bike garaged - Dublin (Badlands of D22)
    50+
    Full licence for over 30 years
    No NCB (back on a bike after kids through college)

On the plus side there are plenty of Starbucks here to drown your sorrows.

Oh im well aware of the auto insurance being far more than the bike insurance, that’s in part why I wanted to bring the bikes as I hope to save a bit in the beginning.

Never had an Irish license of any sort, only have a US license and have already planned on doing the IBT and EDT at the same time. You can use your US license in Ireland for up to 12 months

With 28 yrs + on bikes my RK and 2 others cost me €425 ish full comp.

Zero NCB is going to make it very tough...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The GS seems OK to insure, possibly due to the eh, owner/risk profile. I'd imagine the harley is similar, it's not like you're trying to insure two litre sports bikes.

I insured a 2014 R1200GS and 2015 Ninja 650 with cornmarket, fully comp, 912e. That's at 36, with zero NCB and only having my full license a wet weekend. Bear in mind they only seem to care about the 'bigger'/more expensive bike, and to chat to them about extras like home start, breakdown, legal cover, blah blah which you probably don't need (if you join the AA). That knocked well over 100 quid off mine as far as I remember.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The GS seems OK to insure, possibly due to the eh, owner/risk profile. I'd imagine the harley is similar, it's not like you're trying to insure two litre sports bikes.

I insured a 2014 R1200GS and 2015 Ninja 650 with cornmarket, fully comp, 912e. That's at 36, with zero NCB and only having my full license a wet weekend. Bear in mind they only seem to care about the 'bigger'/more expensive bike, and to chat to them about extras like home start, breakdown, legal cover, blah blah which you probably don't need (if you join the AA). That knocked well over 100 quid off mine as far as I remember.

Just a note: Carole Nash woulnd't insure my R-K for the first few years, until it's value came down. They wouldn't cover a bike over a €15k value at the time. Not sure if this is still the case though.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just a note: Carole Nash woulnd't insure my R-K for the first few years, until it's value came down. They wouldn't cover a bike over a €15k value at the time. Not sure if this is still the case though.

I tend to undervalue vehicles on policies (since you rarely if ever get the full whack and it's all a scam anyway). So I valued the GS at 15k, don't remember if I had to or if the chap on the phone said it'd be easier/cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Just been getting quotes this morning after Adeliede rang me about my renewal.

34 Male
    2 years ncb
    fully comp
    2003 cbr600f
    Fully comp with breakdown

Adelaide came in with 660, then about 600, about 550 with only uk and Ireland breakdown cover which is not an option elsewhere.

Carol nash is the winner with 451, includes EU breakdown, protected ncb and their dna kit.

Principal 471 with eu breakdown

Liberty 644

I may see if Adelaide will match/beat Carol Nash but i may just go with Carol Nash.

Gerr has a good idea with joining AA

Do you need five years NCB to get the full discount or is it good to go after one year?

Row, what’s a DNA kit?

Not sure about Ireland but I know Full Comp here in the states more than doubles your premium

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Row, what’s a DNA kit?

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

rowanh wrote:
    Adelaide came in with 660, then about 600, about 550 with only uk and Ireland breakdown cover which is not an option elsewhere.

I got a CBR 600 f4 insured tpft for 280 with riding other bikes even uninsured ones plus breakdown. First time policy on bikes but am 36 just passed test. Ring the worst first and keep beating them down. Carol Nash and principal were the best. But all of them only cared about bettering your best quote. Amazing how much they can drop to get a deal. I was delighted.

Has anyone managed to combine car and bike insurance or house insurance or at least get some discount on one policy for having the other etc ?

mamax wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to combine car and bike insurance or house insurance or at least get some discount on one policy for having the other etc ?

Liberty do 10% discounts for existing policy holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I get a discount on both car and house insurance because both are with the same company. But havent got a discount for my bike at all

Got a bike quote today from liberty, I had been holding off as my car & house insurance are up soon and if they can bundle the 3 together cheaper than I'm getting them separately then I'm on a winner :)

Age 44
    Provisional licence
    Level 2 assessment
    Bandit 600
    Third party only
    €277

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Just renewed today went from Adelaide to Carol Nash.

5 years NCB
    Full licence
    32 Male
    Blackbird and a Bandit 12 garaged
    Fully comp.
    no claims protection.

Adelaide was 255 (without breakdown as bikes are too old)

Carol Nash was 299 (with full cover inc breakdown)

went with Carol Nash for the breakdown.

Advertisement