Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Just finished IBT and looking for my first quote.

23 yr old male
    no NCB
    Provisional A2

Suzuki SV650, 05
    valued at €2500
    3rd party, fire, and theft
    stored in a driveway, and used for commuting
    €250 excess

Cheapest was Principle at €699

Highest goes to Carole Nash at 1700 quid! Was told it would drop to 600 if i garaged the bike but dont have anywhere to unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just finished IBT and looking for my first quote.

23 yr old male
    no NCB
    Provisional A2

Suzuki SV650, 05
    valued at €2500
    3rd party, fire, and theft
    stored in a driveway, and used for commuting
    €250 excess

Cheapest was Principle at €699

Highest goes to Carole Nash at 1700 quid! Was told it would drop to 600 if i garaged the bike but dont have anywhere to unfortunately

Did you try Liberty they 'were' the cheapest last year for my buddy with similar setup. But tbh 699 for rider with those attributes its not too bad. It will improve with another year under belt or as stated garaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Also try Adelaide which in my opinion are the best around to deal with. You might have to be 25 I am not sure.....also unless you already have the bike try getting insurance on the likes of a CB500 or a CBF600 or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Also try Adelaide which in my opinion are the best around to deal with. You might have to be 25 I am not sure.....also unless you already have the bike try getting insurance on the likes of a CB500 or a CBF600 or similar.

They insured me at 23 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

listermint wrote: »
    Did you try Liberty they 'were' the cheapest last year for my buddy with similar setup. But tbh 699 for rider with those attributes its not too bad. It will improve with another year under belt or as stated garaged.

Liberty came in at around 950.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Adelaide wont insure me without 3 years insurance experience as I'm under 25 unfortunately.

I'm not too disappointed at 700, around 600 was the figure I had in my head before I rang around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I knew insurance was expensive in Ireland but this is a real eye opener. Just for the crack I got an online quote from liberty for my z1000sx. Around 400 euro more per year than what I pay here for fully comp.

That doesn't even take into account that wages here are almost double. Doesn't look like I'll ever be moving back to Ireland so :p

Edit: that doesn't even include the extras included as standard here such as open drive, equipment insurance or starting at 100%ncb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Check with insurers in your home country. I found a few here that will insure my vehicles in Ireland; it’s a little more expensive but still less expensive than using Irish insurance companies

This should give you enough time to get a full Irish license and maybe one year NCB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Going to ring around later but got a renewal quote from Liberty.

28 yo
    Fz6 S2
    Garaged
    3rd party fire and theft!

680€

Was €790 last year on a provisional. 1st bike policy.

Now have full licence and 1 year NCB and now its garaged and they only came down ~ 100€

I quote " All insurance in Ireland has gone up im afraid and you got a favorable quote last year, so that's why the difference is what you see"

Think its a bit of a rubbish Renewal quote tbh. That's after calling them and squeezing them for a bit more.

Fingers crossed the other options provide some financial solace.

neildyr wrote: »
    Going to ring around later but got a renewal quote from Liberty.

28 yo
    Fz6 S2
    Garaged
    3rd party fire and theft!

680€

Was €790 last year on a provisional. 1st bike policy.

Now have full licence and 1 year NCB and now its garaged and they only came down ~ 100€

I quote " All insurance in Ireland has gone up im afraid and you got a favorable quote last year, so that's why the difference is what you see"

Think its a bit of a rubbish Renewal quote tbh. That's after calling them and squeezing them for a bit more.

Fingers crossed the other options provide some financial solace.

Liberty were the best for my first year hands down, and distinctly average on second year.

Phone Principal. you should be more than pleasantly suprised.

• Advertisement

Yeah was delighted last year with them. Not so much now!!

Good shout. going to call them next couple days. :)

Yeah was delighted last year with them. Not so much now!!

Good shout. going to call them next couple days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

Another recommendation for Principal from me, just moved to them from MCE, MCE customer service not great.

got a quote today.

Very pleasant on the phone and a very pleasant quote.

Fully comp 560
    45 Days EU cover
    Pillion
    Breakdown assist etc

3rd party with all the above 440€

Checked what I ACTUALLY paid LIberty last year. It was 717€ on a provisional and first time policy.
    This year went back wit full licence and 1 yr NCB: Best price 680.

I think ill go with Principal thanks!

Cheers for the Tip.

got a quote today.

Very pleasant on the phone and a very pleasant quote.

Fully comp 560
    45 Days EU cover
    Pillion
    Breakdown assist etc

3rd party with all the above 440€

Checked what I ACTUALLY paid LIberty last year. It was 717€ on a provisional and first time policy.
    This year went back wit full licence and 1 yr NCB: Best price 680.

I think ill go with Principal thanks!

Cheers for the Tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ChrisWhelo

I'm brand new to all this I'll be doing my theory and IBT in the coming weeks and I'd be looking at getting a Honda XL 125 most likely.

Haven't had a chance to ring up but how much would I be expecting to pay? I know it would be way up in the thousands but how much roughly. I know a little scooter first would bring it down but I wouldn't be caught dead on one ;)

Cheers for any info I've loads to be looking forward to XD

ChrisWhelo wrote: »
    I'm brand new to all this I'll be doing my theory and IBT in the coming weeks and I'd be looking at getting a Honda XL 125 most likely.

Haven't had a chance to ring up but how much would I be expecting to pay? I know it would be way up in the thousands but how much roughly. I know a little scooter first would bring it down but I wouldn't be caught dead on one ;)

Cheers for any info I've loads to be looking forward to XD

You will have to phone insurer's no one can give you an answer. Liberty have been very good for first timers .

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ChrisWhelo

Cheers will definitely give them a ring first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Switch to liberty this year

650 bandit valued at 4k

Age 24

Few mods to the bike but not performance enhancing

Have 3 years NCB would have had 4 but lost last years one due to a theft claim

Fully comp with breakdown, EU travel and commuting with liberty is 399€

Corn market wanted an extra €40 to go to fully comp and another €80 odd to have commuting on the policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I recently had my bike derestricted and have to renew insurance soon. Do I have to tell them that it's derestricted? If so, will my insurance be higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I recently had my bike derestricted and have to renew insurance soon. Do I have to tell them that it's derestricted? If so, will my insurance be higher?
    There will be others on that will know more, but my input is 100% definitely tell them. If you have to make any claim at all that gives them a get out clause.
    On the increase I seem to remember it being said that they don't take the restriction into account when quoting. But not certain. That said they will take any option to increase a premium.

Advertisement