Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff / The Hardys possible WWE future

• 22-12-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭

http://411mania.com/wrestling/jeff-hardy-says-he-wants-to-main-event-wrestlemania/

Jeff wants to come back to the E as does Matt. Its easy to forget how crazily over Jeff was when he left, nearly on the same level as Cena I reckon.

What has Jeff been like as a worker recently? If he can still go, no reason for him not to do really well in any comeback, couldn't care less about Matt though.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He's talking about probably missing most of 2016 through injury already so won't be any time soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rjd2 wrote: »
    http://411mania.com/wrestling/jeff-hardy-says-he-wants-to-main-event-wrestlemania/

What has Jeff been like as a worker recently? If he can still go, no reason for him not to do really well in any comeback, couldn't care less about Matt though.:pac:

He hasn't had a match since 28.03.2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Jeff wants to come back to the E as does Matt. Its easy to forget how crazily over Jeff was when he left, nearly on the same level as Cena I reckon.

Apparently he has to get knee surgery which will really effect his abilities in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Apparently he has to get knee surgery which will really effect his abilities in the ring.

He was saying on Flair podcast that he's gonna have to totally change his in ring style now. All moves where landing on the knees are out. Like Moonsaults

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Lucky Jeff never did moonsaults. They pretty much destroy the knees of anyone who does them. Matt always looks like he kills himself doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Never say never, but his whole move set was always risky, I be glad if he tones it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    He was saying on Flair podcast that he's gonna have to totally change his in ring style now. All moves where landing on the knees are out. Like Moonsaults

Nice of Jeff saying he'll have to change his in ring style. Good man Jeff, shame others won't,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It would be cool to see E&C, Hardys and Dudley Boys have some of segment together similar to Rock/Austin/Hogan WM 30 since they made tag team wrestling fun to watch back in Attitude Era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What do you mean, are you talking about Daniel Bryan? Imagine Jeff Hardy usurping Reigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

It's crazy that after 20 years of what always looked to be an extremely loose and reckless style of wresting that the injury which has really f*cked him didn't even have anything to do with wrestling.

Honestly think he could probably pull off a lower risk in ring style fairly well, a lot of the huge appeal to him was that he seemed so incredibly chill in his demeanour. I mean, not that he didn't sell or whatever, he was just such an absolute natural. There was a patch there around 2009 where Smackdown in particular was looking great and it seemed to fall apart in weeks. The colossal failure that was FCW prolly didn't help though.
    It's a bit too late for him to have a proper main event run imo, he'll be near 40 by the time he's back and his overall aesthetic is a bit overly dated at this stage to ignore.

• Advertisement

Being unable to have a main event run when you're late thirties or early forties is such a weird mindset. It's a very Vince McMahon thing, moves guys down the card when they hit 37/38. Wrestling history is littered with guys who drew once past their athletic peak. In fact, you could argue that just like in MMA, your peak as a draw comes past your peak as an athlete.

Dave Bautista was 37 when he started main eventing. Hall and Nash were 38 when the nWo kicked off. Hogan, Savage, DDP, Piper and Flair who were all big draws from 96 - 98 were in their mid forties already. Rock and Triple H are in their forties now. Taker is 50. Etc, etc.

Ultimately though, if Vince is unwilling to present him like a huge star it won't mean as much as it could.

I'd say if he came back he could probably hope for only as much as he was given before. He could be a transitional champion maybe, or else just directed towards the Dudley Boyz and ladders. It would be great to see him main event a WrestleMania someday though I think. He never got as much done as he could have in the WWE as a singles wrestler I think. Also, him being a singles wrestler as opposed to teaming with Matt doesn't leave as much money on the table as Vince would probably think as they have no Edge & Christian anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Jeff Hardy has been done for a while. If he cant do his flippy stuff then yeah, hard to care about him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

BMMachine wrote: »
    Jeff Hardy has been done for a while. If he cant do his flippy stuff then yeah, hard to care about him tbh

Jeff will always find a way to get over. Jeff would get over in a wheelchair. He'd be doing wheelies and we would all be going ape **** for him.

On the contrary, if he's still as good at selling as he used to be he could be cared about easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

moved from the news thread.

Jeff is one where I really don't know if he would be the same with a toned down move set. That said I really am surprised he didn't get more bad injuries from some of the mad bumps he did in the past and he is still young enough should he stay clean he could be of some use to a promotion. At the very least The Hardys would be worth a Dudley esque run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a mentor for the younger high flyers (Nevile, Kalisto etc) ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I would like to see Jeff work with Bray Wyatt, Balor, and even Seth Rollins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

On the contrary, if he's still as good at selling as he used to be he could be cared about easily.

He also has a lot of natural charisma, even at 40 and with a limited moveset, I think he'd be able to get the crowd on his side quite easily.

Vince would be delighted to have him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Monokne wrote: »
    Being unable to have a main event run when you're late thirties or early forties is such a weird mindset. .
    I dunno if you'd want to abruptly place the kind of schedule onto a guy with a checkered past but that's not even why I said it, it's more that his whole dress style and whatnot is a bit hopelessly dated now. His youthfulness was definitely part of his draw too.

He'll get over for sure though, but as a Cena-level draw he's probably a bit too far gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jeff yes Matt no.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Brindor

They'll come back for one last run because Monies.
    Assuming Jeff is the only one who comes back, I can't see Hardy becoming some major Main event push again, unless he wins and becomes a transitional champion.
    I could see him either either chasing a midcard belt and working with the other guys, or put him in some tag team with another high flyer.
    So, maybe Neville ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd bet a lot of money if they're gonna do it they bring them both. I know Jeff is a multi-time champion and all but he's still best known as a Hardy Boy from the Attitude Era. There is no room for Jeff in the upper card. There's already too much unpushed talent ahead of him in the queue.

In the same way that Bubba Ray had a good career as a singles competitor in TNA, they were still only ever really coming back as the Dudleyz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CSF wrote: »
    I'd bet a lot of money if they're gonna do it they bring them both. I know Jeff is a multi-time champion and all but he's still best known as a Hardy Boy from the Attitude Era. There is no room for Jeff in the upper card. There's already too much unpushed talent ahead of him in the queue.

In the same way that Bubba Ray had a good career as a singles competitor in TNA, they were still only ever really coming back as the Dudleyz.

Jeff was mega over as a singles competitor in WWE before he left whereas Ray never was in WWE on his own

I would love to see Jeff against Rollins or Ambrose still even with a changed up limited move set

I think people forget what a star Jeff was in 2009. He was a huge draw. Company was throwing money at him to stay.

I don't know how keen they would be on taking him back though. Considering how close he was to getting them in serious hot water last time (his drug bust 3 weeks after he left the company) they would still consider him a risk. Also, he can't work shows outside the United States because he's a felon.

On the other hand, he would get a huge reaction as a returning star and I really don't buy the idea his age impacts on his image substantiallly. Shawn Michaels was doing his old man gyrating to stripper music gimmick well into his mid 40's and Jeff, with his long hair and his facepaint is not someone who looks particularly old. And he's only 3 years older than Finn Balor, 4 years older than Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, 3 of the guys the company is building its future around. Plus, he looks well for his age:
    TNA-Impact-fakes-real-injury-to-Jeff-Hardy-because-hes-not-allowed-to-travel-to-Europe.jpg

Personally I would give him most of 2016 to rest up and bring him in for a run at the back end of the year. They can merchandise him big time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Monokne wrote: »
    I think people forget what a star Jeff was in 2009. He was a huge draw. Company was throwing money at him to stay.

I don't know how keen they would be on taking him back though. Considering how close he was to getting them in serious hot water last time (his drug bust 3 weeks after he left the company) they would still consider him a risk. Also, he can't work shows outside the United States because he's a felon.

On the other hand, he would get a huge reaction as a returning star and I really don't buy the idea his age impacts on his image substantiallly. Shawn Michaels was doing his old man gyrating to stripper music gimmick well into his mid 40's and Jeff, with his long hair and his facepaint is not someone who looks particularly old. And he's only 3 years older than Finn Balor, 4 years older than Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, 3 of the guys the company is building its future around. Plus, he looks well for his age:
    TNA-Impact-fakes-real-injury-to-Jeff-Hardy-because-hes-not-allowed-to-travel-to-Europe.jpg

Personally I would give him most of 2016 to rest up and bring him in for a run at the back end of the year. They can merchandise him big time too.

Top post.

Pretty sure he was moving more merch than Cena at the end of his run, and nobody was as over as he was with live crowds.

I'd like to think they would do more than bring him back as a jobber to the stars or as some midcard guy, even at 40 if they got the machine behind of him he would out draw nearly everyone on the roster.

He also has a lot of natural charisma, even at 40 and with a limited moveset, I think he'd be able to get the crowd on his side quite easily.

Vince would be delighted to have him back.
    Vince McMahon only keeps the door closed to a handful of people. I'm sure he would be thrilled if he got Jeff Hardy back and he'd be placed in the second half of the first pay per view after he returned as well. These guys were so over for so long when they had their run in WWF and I doubt Vince has forgotten that at all.

Advertisement