Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaks at work

Options
  • 23-12-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Quick query re breaks at work.

My younger brother has started work at a fast food place (a multiple). Anyway he's been expected to work 6 hours in a row with no break on occasion.
    He doesn't wanna cause trouble or anything but I was under the impression (being an employer myself) that an employee is allowed a certain amt off break time per hour worked. Personally we work 9-5 with an hour off for lunch which I pay.

Does anyone have a link to what ones entitlements are regarding breaks at work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

i think if you work an 8+hr shift, you're entitled to a 30min (paid) break AFTER 4 hours, or an hour unpaid.
    if it's six hour shift, i think he's entitled to perhaps a 15-20min break midway through shift?
    that's how we roll where i work but i'm not 100% sure

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gercoral wrote: »
    i think if you work an 8+hr shift, you're entitled to a 30min (paid) break AFTER 4 hours, or an hour unpaid.
    if it's six hour shift, i think he's entitled to perhaps a 15-20min break midway through shift?
    that's how we roll where i work but i'm not 100% sure

It's all in the link above

Advertisement