Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get a Christmas bonus from your employer this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

work in retail and we were given 10% off vouchers and mostly everything in the shop is €1.50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

We got nothing but bonuses tend to be in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SeaFields wrote: »
    Dinner and free bar for a few hours.

Yep that and a blow job.

At home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Self employed and I got fcuk all.

Need to have a serious talk with myself in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quarefarmers

Got nearly 2k between cash and hampers ect,and they paid for my rehab treatment this year too,
    Not a bad bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I got my Christmas bonus today from the EU/Department of Agriculture, given milk prices are so low, I received €1395 today.

I think there is worry that after all the hype over dairy farming, the reality of the situation is bad years can be very bad, just like good years can be very good. The quotas go and it goes very bad...so every dairy farmer is given a payment to keep things ticking over.
    Coming two days before Christmas, I am calling it a Christmas bonus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Get a new accountant as you can give yourself a €500 tax free present.

You can also put down the bonus of €150 you gave.

Happy christmas

i thought that was ltd co only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Vistakon workers get enough of bonuses in fairness, hardly a need for one at Xmas too..

though i work in vistakon, im not actually employed by them, so i dont get those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Haven't opened mine yet but the boss came over with a big smile, gave me a pat on the back and put an envelope in my hand saying "there's your p45, happy Xmas".
    I'm not to up to date on vouchers but I assume it's similar to a one4all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

a grand this year. not as as good as the grand and Iphone last year but happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Augeo wrote: »
    Self employed, availed of the €500 voucher malarky,

what's this all about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

7 grand, after tax will be under 3.

Not exactly a Christmas bonus but a end of year bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I got a bar of chocolate. No kidding.
    What do you do , deliver newspapers on a bicycle ? if not you should have shoved that bar somewhere?

Work for Dunnes, we get ours in vouchers which are taxed. Taxman took about 33% of it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

3 k bonus (half of which is taken off me in tax) and a 150 quid one for all. Not too bad, the tax is ****ing killer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Oops69 wrote: »
    What do you do , deliver newspapers on a bicycle ? if not you should have shoved that bar somewhere?

Year's ago I got a cornetto for a Christmas bonus, I pulled the wire off meself for a week. The boss pulled in about €20,000 in cash and gifts. That was crazy prices in the 1990's before Tesco took them over. Glad I went back to college after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Work for Dunnes, we get ours in vouchers which are taxed. Taxman took about 33% of it this year.

Why? Non cash vouchers should be tax free up to certain amount.

Got them every year and never paid a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I get a quarterly bonus based on my performance, it's usually 200-400 euro. We also got a bottle of booze and brought out for lunch and drinks. It's a small company so they are really very good to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Not working at the moment..but in my last job for 7 years and never got a penny..one year they posted a notice on the board congratulating us on a record turnover of 2 million euro in one month..every year we were brought out for dinner and the boss came round with a tin of sweets to share between 20 odd of us..

Miserable would be an understatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

fullstop wrote: »
    Well he got paid for overtime, I'd take that. Worked for all private sector companies and have never got paid for overtime or any bonus at Christmas.

It wasn't exactly optional overtime.. all overtime is optional, except when it isn't. then get taxed to pieces on it, but sure if I didn't like the job, I wouldn't do it, eh?:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

**** christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

XR3i wrote: »
    **** christmas

So it's a No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

We get nothing, denada, morale is quite low this year, couldn't be bothered to even decorate my desk. And I am working next week as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

3 k bonus (half of which is taken off me in tax) and a 150 quid one for all. Not too bad, the tax is ****ing killer though.

I'd bloody love the money to even give away to the tax man.

'The beatings will continue until the morale improves'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We got headphones worth €100!

My friend got €800 worth of All For One vouchers l...very jealous.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    what's this all about?

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/workers-can-now-get-christmas-gift-of-up-to-500-taxfree-from-employers-34220184.html

Basically for the likes of myself it's €250 ish to me rather than to the tax man. Not in cash though of course, but voucher of my choice is as good as to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I got just under 10% of my yearly salary, made up of a profit related bonus which included an extra 50% of that based on winning an award.

Another £200 voucher for an individual award, plus a £35 Voucher which is standard every year.

It has been very good and much appreciated, I still want a new job for the new year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm in the defense forces, I've only had cut backs since 2007.. A Christmas bonus would be not working a 24 hour shift on St.Stephens Day.

Christmas bonus my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I sure did, and my arse is killing me. The wrong bonus I was told I would get. Bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My husband started a job 2 years ago, the first Christmas party with partners invited was a sit down meal in a hotel and a few bottles of wine, the 2nd year again with partners it was a sit down meal and a night at the dogs, this year it is in the local pub with finger food and a few free drink vouchers and no partners allowed, they usually get dunnes vouchers E150 worth which was cut to half this year, there is talk of no party next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Yip, 8%.

7 grand, after tax will be under 3.

Not exactly a Christmas bonus but a end of year bonus.

Higher rate of tax is 40%, what makes up the other 17% you claim to be paying on the €7k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Mint Aero wrote: »
    The usual boring Xmas dinner and drink and the promise of a grand in the new year.
    Add your reply here.

I think we may be working in the same place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Got a meal, tins of bikkies n chocs...and €100 one for all...not bad..oh and 2K of back money, even tho I worked for it it's still a bonus..

My nephew got a €250 bonus but had to sign a contract for it..

If he misses a day over the next two weeks they take it back!!!!! I never heard the likes of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

1 weeks wages. Based on company hitting performance targets during the year. Totally fine but directors shared out 2m between 7 of them and people who actually work get 1 weeks wages, so was a bit pissed tbh.

Some stupid conditions to the bonus too. Had to be working with the company on 31st December, so one girl who finished on 19th December got nothing despite working there all year, yet I know of a guy who only started in November who got a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

No bonus, and not only that but some work colleagues I know have been let go / made redundant. Glad to have a job at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Yea I got a lovely bonus and I got to come home for Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Augeo wrote:
    Higher rate of tax is 40%, what makes up the other 17% you claim to be paying on the €7k?

Add prsi usc and what else is there. I did some extra work once for which I asked €100 cash. Boss had to add €204 to my payslip so I could get the 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Got a €100 book token last year and was delighted. This year I'm in the public sector so nothing at all! Working tomorrow and everything. I'm on contract so don't get the bonus of a 'job for life' and all that jazz. Love my job so not really complaining, it's not the type of thing you do for the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Worked in the private sector for 19 years, got a bonus every year, maximum of 25%, minimum of 5%, worked in the public sector for 10 years, 0% every year, could not get a bonus no matter what I achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got nothing and the free bottles of wine I got off the suppliers have been kept by the owners as prizes for the staff party that we have contributed to out of our wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Add your reply here.

I think we may be working in the same place :)

Then it's safe to say I hate your face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

No, no you didn't..mainly as I didn't get so much as a card of any of ye last year...so what comes around goes around....signed -The Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Own the company so bonus for me, only myself employed but have friends and family who help out on busy times so they were taken out for dinner somewhere decent in town and out afterward two weeks ago , personal gifts to them given today, one got a laptop, others a weekend away and such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Got a 5k pay raise + 1% of gross.

Happy out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Augeo wrote: »

I thought there was a "bonus tax" of 51% or so. In my pay slip the money is marked as a bonus. All I know from previous years bonuses my net was less than half. I may be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'm self employed so no bonus for me. I have to staff so got them both gift cards and gave them both little gifts. I closed up early Friday and bought them lunch instead of a christmas party or dinner. It would be pretty sad with just the three if us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I had a real job for 20yrs and never got a bonus. Am on a CE scheme this year so technically unemployed and got a 75% bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

When comparisons are made between the public and private sectors, bonuses, subsistence,shares etc are never taken into account, I reckon I was better off with 15 % less salary in the private sector

• Advertisement
Advertisement