Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you get a Christmas bonus from your employer this year?

Comments

I thought there was a "bonus tax" of 51% or so. In my pay slip the money is marked as a bonus. All I know from previous years bonuses my net was less than half. I may be wrong though...

Higher rate of tax, PRSI & USC all combined would be about 51%, 49% of €7k isn't less than €3k :)
    Yourmama wrote: »
    Add prsi usc and what else is there. I did some extra work once for which I asked €100 cash. Boss had to add €204 to my payslip so I could get the 100

bla bla

add whatever you want, €7k will not be reduced to under €3k by income tax, PRSI and "what else is there" :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm a contractor so did the one4all card thing. So far I've spent 440 of the 500 on the card, and not a fupping penny on me.

My big bonus though was one of the companies I work for suggesting that I raise my rate by 33% per day :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I've never had a Christmas bonus. I did get a nice bottle of wine though. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I got a bonus of 40 bags of blocks,I love watching my money going up in smoke ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Augeo wrote: »
    Higher rate of tax, PRSI & USC all combined would be about 51%, 49% of €7k isn't less than €3k :)

bla bla

add whatever you want, €7k will not be reduced to under €3k by income tax, PRSI and "what else is there" :)

For some reason I had over 50 added to my payslip as an adjustment to 50 bik euro payment.

50 cash as bik and more than that to make up for anything else.

All depends on tax affairs of the employee.

Another lad had only 4 euro adjustment, but he paid literally no tax due to his circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Higher rate of tax is 40%, what makes up the other 17% you claim to be paying on the €7k?

PRSI, USC...

I paid about 52% tax on my bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

7 grand, after tax will be under 3.

Not exactly a Christmas bonus but a end of year bonus.

What fecking tax rate are you on? 7k after tax is about 3400ish.

blackcard wrote: »
    When comparisons are made between the public and private sectors, bonuses, subsistence,shares etc are never taken into account, I reckon I was better off with 15 % less salary in the private sector

I was the opposite. Went from a Private company to a state owned one.

My bonus was 250 euro for ten years. I got 8% this year. I also got no pension in my last place and the place pay about 9% in to my pension. There is also other perks like paid sick leave which a lot of private companies don't offer

bla bla

In fairness 57% is a lot closer to 52% than the 40% you implied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yea.
    Three grand.
    Wait. No. €1470.
    That's right - Mick O'Noodles got more of my christmas bonus than I did, even though I only earn slightly more than the average industrial wage.
    Progressive taxation my hole. You'd have to wonder how we ended up with such an absurdly left-wing tax system when we've only even been governed by (alegedely) center-right led governments!

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »

If his bonus is pensionable he would have paid a few extra % out if it which would add up.
    But bit quite classes as all taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Never got a penny, all the years I've worked. When I was working nights the boss used to come in with a crate of Budweiser to split between about 15 of us. When someone you work for is on 3-4times what you're earning, plus perfomance related bonuses that are dependant on their employees productivity. You don't show up with 1.6 bottles of piss to show them you're grateful.

The last few years I worked there the guy didn't bring anything. Bonus must have only been E20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

I took redundancy in Nov!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm a stay at home mother, so I got lots of extra hugs from my very excited 3 year old and a genuinely thrilling rendition of Santa Claus is Coming to Town sung to me while I cooked dinner. I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Torricelli wrote: »
    We usually get a few hundred euro and a Christmas dinner, but this year we got sweet fuck all.
    I thought only those on Social Welfare got an xmas bonus.

But no, didn't get one. Never have gotten one, even when I worked on xmas day.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm a stay at home mother, so I got lots of extra hugs from my very excited 3 year old and a genuinely thrilling rendition of Santa Claus is Coming to Town sung to me while I cooked dinner. I'm not complaining.

My stay at home wife applied an additional tax that took half my bonus. You need to talk to your baby daddy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yea.
    Three grand.
    Wait. No. €1470.
    That's right - Mick O'Noodles got more of my christmas bonus than I did, even though I only earn slightly more than the average industrial wage.
    Progressive taxation my hole. You'd have to wonder how we ended up with such an absurdly left-wing tax system when we've only even been governed by (alegedely) center-right led governments!

Tax in Ireland is relatively low...
    Even for employees.

Tax free amount is generous. Believe me.

ted1 wrote: »
    PRSI, USC...

I paid about 52% tax on my bonus

So if you got €7k you wouldn't pay over €4k in tax which is what was claimed.

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness 57% is a lot closer to 52% than the 40% you implied

I never implied a 40% ;)

I asked in addition to the 40% what else was he paying that brought it to over 57%, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Yea.
    Three grand.
    Wait. No. €1470............

Your employer by awarding you that bonus has funded the dole for 7 people for a week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I'm a bit jealous to be honest of those of you who got something. The company I'm with at the minute (soon out the door) made staff do a whip around to buy Christmas decorations for the office because they were to miserable to fork out.

They're a multinational with quite a big turnover in their Irish Operations. No bonuses and not even a thanks for the massive work to get them established in the country over the last 18 months. Geebags, no wonder staff are literally running out the door the last few months. A small token gesture would have somewhat increased morale, if only a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Macmillan150

Public sector employees pay 23% deductions on top of 42% tax , so 7,000 would very easily become less than €3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We got a Christams lunch.
    redlead wrote: »
    Did they not bring back the double dole at Christmas?
    75% extra, but it only applies to certain payments and you had to be unemployed for a minimum of 15 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Company I work for is "foreign". The fiscal year is June to June, so we get our bonus (about 10% of annual gross) in August, once the annual appraisals are all worked out. So... no Christmas bonus, as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

testicle wrote: »

Believe it or not thats what I meant to say. I was thinking just under half of 7 was 3.

Yeah about 3400 sounds right. It'll come in January payslio so I'll see then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

sjb25 wrote: »
    Work in public service we don't get Xmas bonus ever but us civil servants have it that handy we deserve nothing I suppose...............

who the **** gave you time off to go on the internet? Am I paying my taxes so you can have freetime? I think not and other such ****e talk :)

I have had about 8 jobs, one gave us a Christmas party with free bar, the last private sector job I had used to give us approx half of our monthly pay but the last year I was there they gave me 3 grand and 4% raise. was a good crowd to work for in many ways, should have stayed.

this year, got told my overtime that I worked to actually pay for Christmas wont be paid until January even though it was due on the 17th, Suppose it will just have to pay the resulting credit card bill instead, I shall live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

FalconGirl wrote: »
    A small token gesture would have somewhat increased morale, if only a small bit.

I remain amazed that so many managers and senior people with fancy business and management degrees fail to grasp this basic concept. Small gesture = better morale = more productivity
    Public sector employees pay 23% deductions on top of 42% tax , so 7,000 would very easily become less than €3000.

hmmm, think your maths is a little off. On a bonus or overtime you would pay 42% but your annual tax rate usually sits on an average of about 37% on paye and prsi (allowance + lower band + higher band = average)

23%? 7% pension levy. 6% pension, 2 - 3% usc, what am I missing?

Interestingly, some countries have compulsary bonuses. Double pay the week before Christmas and again in the summer months. In Spain and Portugal it was stopped for the public sector but the Portuguese police brought a court case and won on discrimination grounds.

Pension related deduction 10.5%, PRSI 4%, spouse and child 1.5%, USC 7%

Would the tax on a once-off bonus not get evened out over the year if a balancing statement/P21 was done?

I'd have assumed so.

No Christmas bonus here, another public sector. Wouldn't swap it for the pension tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We usually get ours at the end of Q1, usually 6.5% of annual salary. Tax man loves it.

Menas wrote:
    I got a decent one this year. A months wages worth. The taxman will be dining out on me this Christmas.

Why are people so surprised that they have to pay tax on their bonus?
    'I got paid last month, paid tax on it, it's a bleedin disgrace, Joe'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Got enrolled in a jelly of the month club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Victor wrote:
    75% extra, but it only applies to certain payments and you had to be unemployed for a minimum of 15 months.

What an idiotic idea. Reward the long term unemployed. Only those who have been made recently unemployed and have previously worked should get the double payment. Now douchebags that have never worked a day in their lives get extra dosh. And for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

250e One4all voucher along with the usual meal and free drink(s) at the work party in Westport. We're the smaller office in the company so we kind of took the piss out of the free drink(s) side of things:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Torricelli wrote: »
    We usually get a few hundred euro and a Christmas dinner, but this year we got sweet fuck all. No explanation, nothing. You wouldn't even think it was Christmas in my work place. If the company was struggling, fair enough, but it's not. It's fair to say there will be no more staying late and coming in on days off from me. Miserable shower!

What you get?
    Scratch all of that. Was handed €400 and a bottle of Hennessy whiskey this morning.

A great bunch of lads. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Got f... All. Besides being extra busy, you wouldn't even know its Christmas. And back to work on Sunday. Ah well......... Once they keep paying the wages we'll be fine.

Gave them!

Nothing big, just a couple of weeks wages. Small office, 4 of us, run a pretty tight ship, no one making a fortune, no huge crisis or big overdraft either. But it's only right to give something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Self employed with a poxy poxy job at hand so no no bonus.Maybe next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Nothing and working christmas day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sjb25 wrote: »
    Work in public service we don't get Xmas bonus ever but us civil servants have it that handy we deserve nothing I suppose...............

well you (in the collective sense) had a job at all times over the last 8 or 9 years. Some of us have been out of work 5 or 6 times in that timeframe . i never got a christmas bonus either.

7 grand, after tax will be under 3.

Not exactly a Christmas bonus but a end of year bonus.
    Believe it or not thats what I meant to say. I was thinking just under half of 7 was 3.

Yeah about 3400 sounds right. It'll come in January payslio so I'll see then.

the chap has clarified that he was indeed a tad incorrect with the under €3k :)

Pension related deduction 10.5%, PRSI 4%, spouse and child 1.5%, USC 7%

You should remember that pension related deductions are not tax :)

• Advertisement

well you (in the collective sense) had a job at all times over the last 8 or 9 years. Some of us have been out of work 5 or 6 times in that timeframe . i never got a christmas bonus either.

No civil servants were pleading for benchmarking etc when there were hundreds of thousands of people capable of performing low/no skilled work on the dole.

they'll no doubt start moaning again if things pick up in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Championship Vinyl

An extra week's wages. That's on top of the actual bonus we get in summer. So not too bad. Extra bit of cash comes in handy at Christmas quite obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

50e voucher to be spent in the local supervalu. Tried using it last week but I haven't shopped in sv in years so didn't buy much. Thought i'd get some nice veg but they'd f*** all. Only 3 peppers in the entire shop and none of them looked in great condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Isn't having a job a bonus?

No civil servants were pleading for benchmarking etc when there were hundreds of thousands of people capable of performing low/no skilled work on the dole.

they'll no doubt start moaning again if things pick up in the real world.

Didn't need to, what with the stiff paycuts, extra hours and increased workloads that we agreed to.

Anything else you needed clarifying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Championship Vinyl

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Isn't having a job a bonus?

No. Having a job should be standard. A job for which you get paid.

The bonus is...eh the bonus on top of what you get paid hence, 'bonus'.

Pension related deductions may not be " tax" but you still have to pay it on non pensionable income. So we can call it " tax" in that instance. Half my income is non pensionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

this year we each got tin of roses, €50 dunnes gift card and a free bar. (50 people in the company)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I'm in the defense forces, I've only had cut backs since 2007.. A Christmas bonus would be not working a 24 hour shift on St.Stephens Day.

Christmas bonus my arse.

With you on that one Erick Mammoth Platypus, our bonus is getting another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

All the chocolates/donations that families give to the hospital are taken off us and given to volunteers. Donations go to the hospital. Stealing at its best.
    No bonus. I get to work for Xmas day though...

Hse at its finest.

Advertisement