Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity bill over €1000

Options
  • 23-12-2015 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

What's going on,got a call today saying my gas and electricity was Over €1200.My normal bill is under €300 for gas and electricity.Is this their way of saying happy Christmas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Estimated bills previously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You would need to look back at your old bills and see what was estimated and what not. If you have had lots of estimated bills in a row and then they did a reading you could get this nasty suprise.
    Or they have estimated something nuts this time around.
    Or there is something caputt in your house that is burning electricity. Have a look at the meter with most of your appliances turned off and see if it is spinning madly.
    Ultimately the meter never lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The gas made up most of the bill €900.Seems insane. Anbody else get a mad bill from Airtricity.Are they chancing their arm?Friends are saying id be mad to pay it!

The electricity side of the bill is low,so no broken appliance.Mad gas bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭kirving

Is there a gas leak? I'd be getting that checked ASAP. Like now. Unless it's estimated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Check if it's an estimated reading on the bill.

If it's an actual reading, then go and check the meter to see it's in the same ballpark. If it's substantially different then call in a corrected reading.

Sounds like you might have had estimated bills for ages and the bill and the meter readings have just gone miles out of kilter.

Is your gas meter accessible to the reader without entering the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have you checked this and previous bills to see if they have been estimated readings or actuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it an estimated or actual reading? Is the reading correct? Were previous bills all estimated?

No advise can be given without this information.

Don't think there is any gas leak.Think the bill must be wrong or they are trying it on?

Johngoose wrote: »
    Don't think there is any gas leak.Think the bill must be wrong or they are trying it on?
    Have you checked this and previous bills to see if they were estimated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The gas made up most of the bill €900.Seems insane. Anbody else get a mad bill from Airtricity.Are they chancing their arm?Friends are saying id be mad to pay it!

Your gas is metered, check your bill off the Meter.

Perhaps you have been estimated for the past while.

I always recommend people to avoid SSE Airtricity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have you read what everyone above has said about estimated/actual readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think you can safely rule out Airtricity "trying it on". Large companies don't do that. They may make mistakes but that's about it.

Let's start with some simple questions to try to get to the root of the issue.

Have you checked previous bills to see if they were estimated?
    Does the actual meter reading match the bill meter reading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

When they rang you did you not question them about it?

I know there was a guy who checked the electricity meter over a month ago.I can't say about the gas?

I think I was just shell shocked when I got the call.It really took the wind out of my sails with the expense of Christmas

You need to check it yourself. Go find the meter and read it yourself. Compare it to the reading on the bill. They should be reasonably close.

You think someone in Bord Gais just decided to send johngoose a 1000 euro bill to try and con you?

It's Airtricity that are screwing me not Bord Gais.

dudara wrote: »
    You need to check it yourself. Go find the meter and read it yourself. Compare it to the reading on the bill. They should be reasonably close.

Thanks Dudara will have to check tomorrow

• Advertisement

Seriously OP.

Quit with the conspiracy theories.

Check. The. Bill.

Or are you just looking to vent?

I'd imagine you've had estimated bills possibly in excess of 12 months
    That's when your meter isn't read so they send you a estimate
    Then someone actually reads the meter and your real usage turns out to be much higher
    So you owe them loads of money for the electricity and gas you used but didn't pay for
    You will have to work out a payment plan with them and stick to it
    Also cut down drastically on your usage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Any chance you would do as other posters have asked and check the meter? Instead of having a go at Airtricity:(.

Thanks Dudara will have to check tomorrow

It's the best thing to do. It's always a good idea to check your bill against the meter. It gives you the reassurance that the billing is correct.

You should be also,able to contact Airtricity to ask about paying the bill in instalments. It will help take the sting out of the bill, if it turns out to be correct.

They're not screwing you
    You used the power you have to pay for it

They're not screwing you

In fairness, the OP hasn't established yet if the bill is correct. Let's not jump to assumptions until he has read the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they been asked/told the same thing, they dont seem to want to answer just vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They're not screwing you

That's not proving yet. He needs to check the Meter.
    Airtricity have a bad rep for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭brianomc

You should be able to log in to your airtricity account now and see if the last few bills are using estimated or actual readings. And to see if this bill is using estimated or actual.

• Advertisement

Any chance you would do as other posters have asked and check the meter? Instead of having a go at Airtricity:(.

I just think for Airtricity to ring me with that news on December 23rd is kind of killing Christmas.Anybody have good experience of other energy provider?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement