Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity bill over €1000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I've cancelled my direct debit with Airticity at the bank, until I get the energy Regulator to look into my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Johngoose wrote: »
    I've cancelled my direct debit with Airticity at the bank, until I get the energy Regulator to look into my case.
    Keep making regular payments towards the bill otherwise you may be giving them grounds for disconnection.

I appreciate your concern thank you.The way things are going I'll have no heating anyway, I'd be afraid to put it on with what they charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

400 a year seems pretty reasonable...I don't see how you think you don't have to pay...it's very remiss on the provider not doing any readings though...

400 a year seems pretty reasonable...I don't see how you think you don't have to pay...it's very remiss on the provider not doing any readings though...

What 400 per year? 1200 euro for two months is what I'm being charged!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that based on a meter reading?

Are you not just being charged the difference between estimated and actual readings? Will this 1,200 not be a once off? As other posters have said, keep making some payment. Don't just dig your heels in, keep in contact with them and come to some arrangement for payment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Airtricity has told me that my gas meter has not been checked in the 3 years that I have been living in the rented house. The asked me where my meter was, as in was it hidden away or protected by some vicious dog? The meter is at the front of the house inside the front wall. There are two gates accessing the front lawn that are always open, there is no vicious dog or anything like that. they are admitting that it highly unusual that the meter wouldn't be checked for 3 years. They said that officially it should be checked every 6 month by a meter reader, regardless of estimated bills in between. i feel they have been highly negligent and that they are now royally screwing me over. They are now putting the blame on Gas Networks Ireland,saying they contacted them and that that particular company couldn't find my house. Typical Irish attitude of passing the buck, kicking the can down the road?

Bord gaid are responsible for reading your meter , not airtricity, your issue is with BG. You'll get disconnected then have to pay disconnect and reconnect on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You still haven't said how the bill reading compares to your actual meter reading. Did you evercheck that?

just to let you know I've been paying hundreds every two months for the last three years for estimated bills. The 1200 euro bill i got last month is on top of all the previous money i have paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I assume what the above poster means is if the meter hadn't been read in 3 years you've been under charged by the equilivant of €400 a year (€1200/3 years).

Bord gaid are responsible for reading your meter , not airtricity, your issue is with BG. You'll get disconnected then have to pay disconnect and reconnect on top of it

Do you work for Airticity/ Bord Gais?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I assume what the above poster means is if the meter hadn't been read in 3 years you've been under charged by the equilivant of €400 a year (€1200/3 years).

Somebody with sense, thank you

Do you work for Airticity/ Bord Gais?

Why would you ask this?

He's right, airtricity are only your gas suppliers, GNI are responsible for maintenance of the network and doing (or not doing) readings.

Presume they won't disconnect overnight. Anyway will be keeping jumper and gloves on as can't pay their extortionate bills/ afford to turn on the gas boiler...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Presume they won't disconnect overnight. Anyway will be keeping jumper and gloves on as can't pay their extortionate bills/ afford to turn on the gas boiler...

They'll disconnect fairly quickly if you fail to engage with them. No electricity would be unpleasant

It's been explained to you that most likely that huge bill is simply an arrears bill, why do you persist with the "well I can't afford their bills if that's what they're going to charge me" line?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why would you ask this?

He's right, airtricity are only your gas suppliers, GNI are responsible for maintenance of the network and doing (or not doing) readings.

just that a mate told me that big companies have online profiles to attack anybody dissing them in discussion forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It's not exactly extortionate when you break it down. 1200/3= 400 per year so €33 per month underpaid over three years.
    Did your bills not say they were estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

just that a mate told me that big companies have online profiles to attack anybody dissing them in discussion forums.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

I'd give up on the "mate" and start listening to some of the sound advice being given to you in this thread, tbh.

You seem hell bent on provoking a row, no matter what people tell you.

There are easier ways of doing things, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody with airtricity (or presumably any other provider) is mad if they don't just set up an online account. You can see which readings are actual or estimated, and provide your own readings for every bill (and be reminded to do so by text or email).

Companies don't particularly care if you're one of the few customers that end up on the end of an error like this (for services you, however, genuinely owe for) so why not be proactive and check yourself if the facility exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've used the service but how dare they charge me for it. Some bloody nerve I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

That might be true (or it mightn't), but either way you were being offered sound advice. Before you opt to refuse to pay the bill you need to consider the costs associated with disconnection/reconnection.

Maintain good communication with the company, explain your predicament, and try to arrange a payment schedule to reduce the outstanding balance.

At the same time, reduce your consumption of gas/electricity in any way you can to get through this period. I know it sucks, but that's the way it is.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If you stop paying now you are basically ruling out any hope of a judge looking upon you kindly, should it go that far.

Regards

A Corporate Shill

:)

I'm sure they would be more efficient at getting somebody to cut me off, than getting somebody to check my meter...

I've used the service but how dare they charge me for it. Some bloody nerve I tell ya.

Slippin jimmy I like the Better Call Saul reference, good user name

I'm sure they would be more efficient at getting somebody to cut me off, than getting somebody to check my meter...

It's. Not. Airtricity. Who. Read. Your. Meter.

What bit of that do you not understand?

Do/did you ever check a bill to see if it's a reading or estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

To be fair, it's a little remiss that somebody isn't informed about the inability to get the correct meter reading for so long. Obviously the service was used but it's hardly nice to be slapped with a thousand + euro arrears bill in January.

Hence the necessity of keeping track of readings yourself.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's. Not. Airtricity. Who. Read. Your. Meter.

What bit of that do you not understand?

Do/did you ever check a bill to see if it's a reading or estimated?

Is it not their duty to get somebody to check my meter? Reminds me of the Shaggy song "It Wasn't Me."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement