Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity bill over €1000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

OP, you need to stop stamping your feet and listen to what people are trying to tell you.

If you have been getting estimated bills for the last 3 years then clearly these estimates were incorrect and now that an actual reading has been done it has been determined that you owe them 1200 which is 33 odd a month underpayment over that time.

Did you never check your bills over the last 3 years to see if they were estimates?
    Did you ever phone a meter reading in to them in that time?
    Have you checked that the reading they have now done is accurate.

You have to engage with them or they will disconnect you. The bill wont go away just because you want it to unless you get a judgement against them.

Please dont dismiss all the advice you are getting here just because you dont like it!

Our Electric is only read about once a year, but we do keep an eye on the estimated bills and if a major discrepancy either way, we let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Electricity bills are every two months (well mine are anyway) so that's 6 potential reads a year. In fairness, electricity meters are usually inside the house and require access by the meter reader.

Gas meters, on the other hand, are usually on the outside of the house, and don't require the householder to be present to be read. Even so, I have many times queried the amount of estimated bills I get, and I have been told that the companies aim to read so many times per year (I can't remember the number), but as far as I can tell never get anywhere near that.

It's very frustrating, but the only way to keep on top of it is to look at every bill, and when they're estimated send in a reading done by yourself.

But in the OP's case, that's advice for going forward.

For now, he has to somehow deal with the arrears bill without winding up getting himself cut of and/or passed to debt collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It's very frustrating, but the only way to keep on top of it is to look at every bill, and when they're estimated send in a reading done by yourself.

But in the OP's case, that's advice for going forward.

Or even better to ring in the meter readings just before the bill is due, so he is certain he's getting fully accurate bills based on his own meter readings.

Seems airtricity do a text and / or email reminder service to remind you to submit the meter readings a few days before the bill is due, so sounds a good way forward.

Or even better to ring in the meter readings just before the bill is due, so he is certain he's getting fully accurate bills based on his own meter readings.

Seems airtricity do a text and / or email reminder service to remind you to submit the meter readings a few days before the bill is due, so sounds a good way forward.
    That sounds like a very civilsed arrangement, alright! Never been with Airtricity, so didn't know that.

No. We have a locked gate that keeps the pesky meter readers out! They usually manage to catch us about once a year. Their estimates are usually pretty accurate, so we don't bother sending in readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Thanks for alleviating some of my fears. The way some people are slating me you'd think they had shares or a job with Airtricity...

• Advertisement

Paranoid much?

OP, are you paying the slightest bit of attention to the (mostly very good) advice being given to you in this thread (which you started, I might add) - or are we all just shouting in the wind?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That applies to missed loan repayments and only if the lender is an ICB member. Missed payments to utility companies won't affect ICB ratings since no utility is a member.

So there is not much to fear while the Energy Regulator considers my case. Thank you. At least I might be able to get a loan to pay future Airtricity bills! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Correct. The only time it could affect your ICB rating is if the utility company passes your utility bill off to a debt collector.
    Pretty sure this isn't true.

I'm listening but I want to bend the Energy Regulator's ear before I do anything...I'm entitled to as an energy user...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Johngoose wrote: »
    I'm listening but I want to bend the Energy Regulator's ear before I do anything...I'm entitled to as an energy user...

What are you hoping the energy regulator will do for you in this case? You used the gas/elec. you will have to pay the bill.

Therefore best case scenario is that you get a payment plan. But if you ring and discuss with Airtricity then you will probably get that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You might want to read up on the procedure for complaints as the CER will not entertain you until you have gone through the process properly and you haven't yet.

http://www.cer.ie/customer-care/complaints

What are you hoping the energy regulator will do for you in this case? You used the gas/elec. you will have to pay the bill.

Therefore best case scenario is that you get a payment plan. But if you ring and discuss with Airtricity then you will probably get that anyway.

I know the negligence of the gas providers Airtricity and whoever else they are working with to check my meter every six months will be a significant factor with the regulator. It is a breach of protocol, terms and conditions and regulation. You can't send a person estimated bills for a full 3 years. They have fcuked up basically in their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

You also allowed the bills to be estimated for a full 3 years, there's a bit of negligence on both sides.

I have been playing by the rules up to now, paying every single estimated bill, a few hundred every month. I draw the line with this bill for 1200 euro.:eek:

Just like the energy provider is entitled to payment for their goods.

• Advertisement

I'm not the provider. I don't legally have to check my meter. I am not obliged to check my meter unless moving into a new residence or moving out of my current one. Customers have the option of checking their meter and submitting their readings, but don't have to. The energy providers on the other hand have to check meters at least every six months. I don't set the rules.

Maryanne84 Are you saying that I can't consult the Energy Regulator as a consumer of energy? The Energy Regulator exists for such conflicts between the consumer and the energy providers. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Just curious, when anyone suggests you check the meter you ignore their post. Is there a reason?
    I have been hit before by a arrears bill, very painful. So I regularly check utility bills against current readings (gas and electricity). The way I see it I'm fully responsible for paying so I check what I'm being charged. The only way is to look at the meter.
    Would be interested to see what the regulator has to say.

I've already said I have checked the meter recently after the shock bill and yes it will be very interesting to us all what the Energy Regulator has to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Same happened to me .
    Got a bill for over 900, seems I had a lot of E bills.
    I got in touch, they had been sending me emails
    asking for readings. I wasnt very good on computers then,
    and they sorted it out over the phone for me in monthly payments
    along with my regular bills.
    Ive since left them and am with boird gais ?
    and They set me up with a regular amount each month, and will adjust
    it every 6 months or so.
    Maybe you can ring and ask to spread your payments if you do owe it to them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I agree a huge bill in one go is crap but it would have said on each previous bill that it was estimated wouldn't it? The onus is on the customer to send in a reading when a scheduled bill is estimated. It's the same for everyone. No amount of "That's not my job" will change that. You didn't know, so you should get a payment plan, but you haven't been overcharged. The stuff about "I've heard they overcharge" is meaningless. They over-estimate I assume, but this can be remedied easily with a meter-reading.
    Don't be quick to believe friends who say companies set up online profiles to defend the companies too - that's a bit silly. You've been given some crap advice - e.g. "they're chancing their arm". If that were actually the case you could have grounds for calling the guards.

And why would they make a reminder phone call about your bill if it wasn't overdue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I know the negligence of the gas providers Airtricity and whoever else they are working with to check my meter every six months will be a significant factor with the regulator. It is a breach of protocol, terms and conditions and regulation. You can't send a person estimated bills for a full 3 years. They have fcuked up basically in their duties.

I understand all that. That would be a matter for the energy regulator and the company.

My question was more what outcome do you want here? Do you want to not pay for the energy/ gas you used? Or do you want a payment plan.

From my reading you accept you used the gas/elec. Now you just dont want to pay for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You might want to read up on the procedure for complaints as the CER will not entertain you until you have gone through the process properly and you haven't yet.

http://www.cer.ie/customer-care/complaints
    Maryanne84 Are you saying that I can't consult the Energy Regulator as a consumer of energy? The Energy Regulator exists for such conflicts between the consumer and the energy providers. :o

After you have followed the process outlined above. In this case you need to contact Airtricity and Bord Gais to determine why the meter was never read.

Did you not get a single card in those three years that your meter couldn't be read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I've already said I have checked the meter recently after the shock bill and yes it will be very interesting to us all what the Energy Regulator has to say...
    Why would it be interesting? If the units were used (compare the units on the meter to the units total on the bill) you have zero case for the regulator.

If it was an estimated bill, you can just send in a meter-reading to correct it.

Gas Networks are the ones who physically read the meters - no point blaming Airtricity. They just have to advise the bill is estimated, which they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It was a nasty surprise a few days before Christmas,seriously thinking of moving provider.
    Best of luck trying to leave your current one without paying the bill.
    If they have access, and/or know where it is located.
    have to go. i have checked the meter and it has gone slightly higher, so no joy there.
    Of course; unless you plug everything out, it will continue to go up.
    The only time it could affect your ICB rating is if the utility company passes your utility bill off to a debt collector.
    This is utter bollox.
    You can't send a person estimated bills for a full 3 years.
    If they can prove that they went to your house, and dropped in a leaflet, they'll probably get off the hook.

One called to my house today, I wasn't there, so got a leaflet. Rang the automated number, gave the requested numbers, and all was good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement