Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity bill over €1000

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I actually just checked the cer website and this is what it says about meter readings:
    Although Gas Networks Ireland (formerly Bord Gáis Networks) aim to read your meter 4 times a year, this is not always possible and sometimes extra estimated reads are used to calculate your bills.

http://www.cer.ie/customer-care/gas/reading-your-meter

So that appears to infer that they are not required to do any meter readings through regulation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Azalea wrote: »
    Why would it be interesting? If the units were used (compare the units on the meter to the units total on the bill) you have zero case for the regulator.

If it was an estimated bill, you can just send in a meter-reading to correct it.

Gas Networks are the ones who physically read the meters - no point blaming Airtricity. They just have to advise the bill is estimated, which they do.
    This has been pointed out umpteen times.

I get the impression that the OP is just spoiling for a row (and, as an aside, doesn't want to pay the huge bill he's managed to run up over three years) - and I fear will come off the worst in that row unless he cops himself on fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Johngoose wrote: »
    Thanks for alleviating some of my fears. The way some people are slating me you'd think they had shares or a job with Airtricity...

Slating you? I incorrectly thought that utilities were part of the ICB. I tried to warn you based on that. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

So there is not much to fear while the Energy Regulator considers my case. Thank you. At least I might be able to get a loan to pay future Airtricity bills! :)

Why would you need a loan when Airtricity would likely allow you to work out a repayment plan with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I'm not the provider. I don't legally have to check my meter. I am not obliged to check my meter unless moving into a new residence or moving out of my current one. Customers have the option of checking their meter and submitting their readings, but don't have to. The energy providers on the other hand have to check meters at least every six months. I don't set the rules.

Can't help wondering if you knew for at least some of the past three years that the bills were being estimated so may be under-estimated, that you weren't obliged to submit your readings, and knew that this may be a possible outcome, with the hope of then challenging it and not needing to pay for the gas you'd used...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm not the provider. I don't legally have to check my meter. I am not obliged to check my meter unless moving into a new residence or moving out of my current one. Customers have the option of checking their meter and submitting their readings, but don't have to. The energy providers on the other hand have to check meters at least every six months. I don't set the rules.
    None of which will change the fact you owe the outstanding balance regardless of whose to blame for the situation or any regulations/obligations. Don't hope for the arrears to be reduced or written off.

CER won't get involved until you exhaust Airtricity's customer complaints process. Airtricity will continue to legitimately seek full payment unless you start talking to them and negotiate on a realistic repayment plan. So start that process promptly and don't fail to continue to make normal payments otherwise the situation will escalate and you'll be the one suffering. If you and Airtricity cannot agree then CER may step in and if they consider the proposal to be too onerous they may offer you better terms.
    The consequences for Airtricity are likely to be not much more than a slap on the wrist for not ensuring you got accurate bills (as you're entitled to under CER's Codes of Practice) and your meter will be read more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I know the negligence of the gas providers Airtricity and whoever else they are working with to check my meter every six months will be a significant factor with the regulator. It is a breach of protocol, terms and conditions and regulation. You can't send a person estimated bills for a full 3 years. They have fcuked up basically in their duties.

You're awful sure of terms and conditions for a man who took 2 weeks to check his meter after getting a bill for €1,200...

You used the gas, and you'll have to pay for it. Airtricity will accommodate you if you look to spread the payments. So can I be the umpteenth person to suggest that you contact to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Dodge wrote: »
    So can I be the umpteenth person to suggest that you contact to do the same
    Mod:
    Indeed so I think there's no point in continuing.

OP, if there are any new developments please PM one of the mods to reopen the thread and we can resume then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement