Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 100k idea

Options
  • 23-12-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and will hopefully be around for the next while!

I've managed to save 100k and am ready to do something with it! All I know is health care and that's not nearly enough a sum in that line of business.

Any ideas on how to make use of it?

Cheers! =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Start a good phone, like oneplus did. Good high end phone for a normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mrclueless

Asmooh wrote: »

Thanks, a little too complex for 100k though don't you think? Besides everyone's going to buy that new iphone 7 regardless ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You would definitely spend the 100k and you would definitely not make any money!

What are your interests and what are you good at? 100k is obviously going to give you plenty of options but do you just want to make money or do you want it to give you more freedom to do non-work things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

jimmii wrote: »
    You would definitely spend the 100k and you would definitely not make any money!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnePlus

Founded December 16, 2013; 2 years ago
    Revenue Increase US$300 million (2014)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Avensis, taxi plate, radio.. On the road for 40k, put the 60k balance into applegreen shares..

They're expanding their US market. Won't be paying dividends for a while, but their share price will rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is this typical of the quality of advice/contribution given in this forum?

Erm yeah that's great. If OP and his partner have a ton of experience in mobile phone engineering they haven't told us about and a lot more than €100k then maybe it's workable. Going by the OP they don't have a partner, don't have mobile phone engineering experience and only have €100k.

No its not its actually a very good forum but you do have to do a bit of filtering.

They're expanding their US market. Won't be paying dividends for a while, but their share price will rocket.

By the time you've written the above (at least in theory) the current share price already has factored in the benefits of the above expansion.

• Advertisement

No its not its actually a very good forum but you do have to do a bit of filtering.

I know - I was, perhaps, being a little passive aggressive. :o

I know - I was, perhaps, being a little passive aggressive. :o

I'm sure the Pedro's would love the phone idea!

Their lucky there's no Pedro's around!

Hah, from what I've seen. Pedro was lucky the other Pedro is not around. :pac:

You're hardly leading by example.

You're hardly leading by example.

By pointing out the error in your suggestion? :confused:

What are your interests and what are you good at? 100k is obviously going to give you plenty of options but do you just want to make money or do you want it to give you more freedom to do non-work things?

Unfortunately health care is all I know but I'm willing to learn! =D

Just work don't really need the freedom. Something exciting with potential. Somebody mentioned stocks, is it a good idea? I just feel that you'd need alot of expertise before heading down that lane what do you think?

Anyone thoughts on retail arbitrage ?

Mrclueless wrote: »

Just work don't really need the freedom. Something exciting with potential. Somebody mentioned stocks, is it a good idea? I just feel that you'd need alot of expertise before heading down that lane what do you think?

My own thoughts on stocks is that it's close to gambling - although I see a difference in investing in a diversified portfolio for pension purposes.

Retail arbitrage seems a crazy route to go with that much money lots of effort for normally little reward. If you wanted to go retail that sort of money gets you excellent buying power. It's more suited to small budget part time start ups looking to invest very little and grow slowly.

Would you like to stick with health care or has that grown a little tired for you? You must have some other skills? It's amazing how transferable they can be. Are you good at cooking? Drawing?

By pointing out the error in your suggestion? :confused:

You seem well versed to critique others, without any of your own ideas, which the op asked for.

Unfortunately health care is know

What about becoming an agent for health care medial device companies who may be looking to expand into Ireland?

• Advertisement

You seem well versed to critique others, without any of your own ideas, which the op asked for.

Critiquing other ideas is a contribution in my opinion.

There are roughly 7 billion other people that have yet to make a suggestion as to what he could do with the money.

Critiquing other ideas is a contribution in my opinion.

There are roughly 7 billion other people that have yet to make a suggestion as to what he could do with the money.

Let's hope they don't clog this thread, eh?

What about becoming an agent for the health care medial device companies who may be looking to expand into Ireland?

As a professional working in the health care sector I'd... like to add... *purses lips*

As a professional working in the health care sector I'd... like to add... *purses lips*

As a validation engineer working in Amgen, id like to add that a lot of equipment vendors are sorely lacking knowledge, and could be replaced by their manufacturers easily. This would be one of my own plans when the construction projects in Bms, alexion, ipsen, Amgen and bd die off in the next 5 to 10 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, you are unlikely to get any realistic ideas from a post like this but I would pay attention to the questions like those Jimmi is asking as they're the ones that are likely to help you come up with your own idea.

Why are you starting a business, what are you hoping to gain from it?
    Where is your experience? You mentioned healthcare but you don't say what side/s of the healthcare business. Any marketing/finance/HR/Sales/development etc etc etc?
    What are you interested in? A new business is likely to takeover your life for a while, it's much easier if it's doing something you enjoy.
    Are you planning to do this alone or find a partner?

As a validation engineer working in Amgen, of like to add that a lot of equipment vendors are sorely lacking knowledge, and could be replaced by their manufacturers easily. This would be one of my own plans when the construction projects in Bms, alexion, ipsen, Amgen and bd die off in the next 5 to 10 years.

Sounds like a full time job requiring a lot of availability during office hours (assuming he'd have the required knowledge - I certainly wouldn't*), not sure the OP is looking to leave his current position, just wants a sideline opportunity to get value for his €100k cooling its heels in a pretty much zero interest earning bank account.

*where I work not sure many would either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hah, from what I've seen. Pedro was lucky the other Pedro is not around. :pac:
    Being able to disagree on matters has ensured that the two Pedros have been friends probably for longer than you have been alive .:p

This Pedro is around but it should be obvious from my posts/history that I don’t respond when there already is an appropriate commentand couldn’t’ be ar$ed responding in detail to a dumb-a$$ question (OP) from a first-time poster that sounds like a student’s Christmas project.;)
    And a Happy Christmas to everyone.:)
    Pedro

Happy Christmas Pedro!

Retail arbitrage seems a crazy route to go with that much money lots of effort for normally little reward. If you wanted to go retail that sort of money gets you excellent buying power. It's more suited to small budget part time start ups looking to invest very little and grow slowly.

Would you like to stick with health care or has that grown a little tired for you? You must have some other skills? It's amazing how transferable they can be. Are you good at cooking? Drawing?

Not many skills unfortunately. I know retail arbitrage is big in the states and parts of Britain. The excellent buying power you mention.. any suggestions where I could read up on this?
    Graham wrote: »
    OP, you are unlikely to get any realistic ideas from a post like this but I would pay attention to the questions like those Jimmi is asking as they're the ones that are likely to help you come up with your own idea.

Why are you starting a business, what are you hoping to gain from it?
    Where is your experience? You mentioned healthcare but you don't say what side/s of the healthcare business. Any marketing/finance/HR/Sales/development etc etc etc?
    What are you interested in? A new business is likely to takeover your life for a while, it's much easier if it's doing something you enjoy.
    Are you planning to do this alone or find a partner?

- Starting a business but not limited to. Any way to put this 100k to use really
    - I treat people. That's all the experience I have. Can't open a clinic unfortunately - would need more cash

I have a friend who is an engineer. He thinks maybe we combine our funds purchase land with planning permission already in place. Demolish and rebuild. Sell. Any thoughts ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Not my bag either!. But Happy Christmas to you too Pedro, and all on here.

Advertisement