Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build problem help please

Options
  • 23-12-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi I'm newbie builder. my pc build has died after one hour use. It powers on off on off and so on. Any ideas. Thanks.
    Set up:
    Asrock h97
    I5 4460
    Msi gtx 970
    8gb ram
    Bequiet 530 psu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you tried reconnecting all the plugs, all internal conventions, tried different socket?

How far into the boot process does the PC get

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

I had it booted up last week. It was fine. I installed graphics card y'day. Today first time i had chance to use it for a game. Playing citi skylines and monitor turned off. It wouldnt turn back on. I disconnected power to graphics card. But still turning on/off/on

Is this the monitor or the PC flicking on off on off?

Had you installed the GPU drivers?

Hi. Its the Pc On and off and drivers were installed no problem. It was working awY no probs. Could it be a power supply issue. Is 530 w enough with the msi gtx970. Altough i disconnected gpu from m'board and same thing...on off on off...

530 is loads for it

Try reseating the CMOS on the board. It's a flat little battery on the motherboard, remove it, wait about 10 seconds and then reseat it

• Advertisement

Tried and failed. Same thing happening.

I'm all out of ideas, someone else may be able to help, sorry

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

I'm all out of ideas, someone else may be able to help, sorry

OP could try re seating the ram and everything else except the CPU? Might be worth a try

Yeah worth a try. Ill give it a go tomorrow. On further analysis the failure was preceded by monitor going into sleep mode and fan in pc getting a bit noisier at the same time. Pc stayed powered on. So i unplugged everything. Powered back on and thats when it starting on/off/on. I dont know if those symptoms make any difference. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Check your CPU temps using coretemp or a similar program. The CPU cooler may not be installed properly, and when under load it may be cutting out.

It also could be a faulty power supply.

If the computer is literally just cutting out in the middle of a game, it has to be CPU temp related/power supply related really.

If it was any other hardware issue like RAM, GPU, etc you might get lockups, bluescreens, artifacting or any number of issues etc but you wouldn't get hard shutdowns.

Check your CPU temps using coretemp or a similar program. The CPU cooler may not be installed properly, and when under load it may be cutting out.

It also could be a faulty power supply.

If the computer is literally just cutting out in the middle of a game, it has to be CPU temp related/power supply related really.

If it was any other hardware issue like RAM, GPU, etc you might get lockups, bluescreens, artifacting or any number of issues etc but you wouldn't get hard shutdowns.

Thanks. Reinstalled fan. Disconnected & reattached everthing from mobo NO JOY. I'm new to this so not really prepared to go any further. Is there anywhere I can bring it to have it checked? I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Take the GPU out of the pc. And run from mobo. This is when problamo first occurred. so backtrack.

I'm assuming you used thermal paste on CPU and all that.

Most pc repair shops don't really test individual parts which is whats needed so if you go near one make sure it's a no fix no fee.

i brought it repair guy he reckons 90% mobo or processor. Fan wasnt on right. Got them from mindfactory. Are they good customer service wise. Returns etc.

Advertisement