Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isnt Mulled Wine the Most Disgusting Drink ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

bnt wrote: »
    The German shops (Aldi & Lidl) have it for sale under the name Glühwein. I think the only real difference is that they might use cardamom instead of nutmeg.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Tried it before at a german xmas market, couldn't stand it
    Apfelwein though yes pls

What the hell is wrong with you people? Glühwein from a proper Xmas market is an amazing tipple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

What, seriously? No one has mentioned Pernod? It's French for "I'd rather be sober".

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I was at a few Christmas markets in Germany last year and I'm telling ye, the mulled wine was absolutely gorgeous! We just make a balls of it here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Crème de menthe - tastes like Night Nurse!

Mulled wine is lovely!
    I don't know what the most rotten drink ever is but sambuca is surely a contender. *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I didnt know I was in such a minority of people who thought it was a lovely drink? Never even considered it a very acquired taste..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm another lover! Hate wine but I love mulled wine. I make a pot of it on Christmas Eve and keep it warm in the slow cooker during Christmas Day. I'm usually the only person who likes to drink it so its all for me! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If made right, mulled wine can be lovely. If made wrong, it can be rank.

honestly what do people like about Mulled Wine? - I have always passed up Mulled wine in the past but I tried a glass the other night for the first time ever. it taste like the worst type of cough medicine ...... heated up!

i wont be drinking any of that ****e ever again!

whats EggNog like?

What most people miss when reading the story Georges marvelous medicine is when the conjecture was heated up :) Ask some of them sometime about the difference between GMM2 and GMM3 :p

But tongue out of cheek - a well done mulled wine is one of lifes best pleasures. Suffice to say that you do not want your first one to be from someone elses hand - you need to make it yourself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I usually can't stand it but we got some at our work party and it was lovely. Tasted rotten when it was cold though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I would prefer to siphon petrol and get a mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

No.

That award goes to root beer. Tastes like the liquid used to clean hospital floors

In the states years back we thought we'd try that root beer that they had in the movies. We sipped it and almost as one said, "TCP," f**king awful stuff.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Tried it before at a german xmas market, couldn't stand it
    Apfelwein though yes pls

You are on the right track :)

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I would prefer to siphon petrol and get a mouthful.

You really wouldn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There has been a bottle of this atop my freezer years now. was given it and just do not fancy it but then I am not a drinker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sarsi gets my vote.
    All the goodness of Deep Heat in a handy 330ml format.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've tried shop-bought mulled wine here once, and will not do that again.

Home-made it's beautiful, though. If you want an extra bit of theatre, check out Feuerzangenbowle!
    Looks incredible, tastes amazing and is guaranteed to give you the worst hangover you've ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I've had at the xmas markets in Berlin it was -10 degree outside at the market the gluhwein went down lovely. There was red and white gluhwein.

I made some myself after it went down a treat mind you I had a bottle of captain Morgan it

At our work Christmas party we had a mulled wine reception. I very happily went to get myself a glass and a colleague who'd never had mulled wine before also took a glass. He took one sip, grimaced a bit, and handed me his glass. Two mulled wines before dinner; as good a start to a night as one could hope for! :D
    I've had at the xmas markets in Berlin it was -10 degree outside at the market the gluhwein went down lovely. There was red and white gluhwein.

I made some myself after it went down a treat mind you I had a bottle of captain Morgan it

Didn't know white Gluhwein was a thing! I don't like white wine in general so am not too sure how it would go down with me. Depends what it's mulled with, I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I guess it would depend on if you like red wine in the first place. Years ago I hated it now I love it. As for mulled wine I wouldn't fancy more than one glass of it. It's quite rich and hardly something you could drink glass after glass.

Edit: and I'd prefer something you can drink glass after glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I like mulled wine but make it yourself, its quite easy to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

wakka12 wrote: »
    I didnt know I was in such a minority of people who thought it was a lovely drink? Never even considered it a very acquired taste..
    Same here. Love mulled wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭yabbav

Mulled wine for mugs. Mulled Cider is the way forward if done my way.

yabbav wrote: »

Ever had mulled mead?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ever had mulled mead?

go ahead i'll listen to anything. not tried yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Please elaborate. I'm looking for a good mulled cider recipe

go ahead i'll listen to anything. not tried yet.

Oh, I've no recipe.
    I just had it a good few years ago at a medieval Christmas market in Leipzig. You can get mulled anything on a German Christmas market these days - red wine, white wine, apple wine (or cider), mead, non-alcoholic ones, in Bamberg they were even selling a green one.

1 litre of good Irish craft cider. add between 60-80 ml dark Jamaican run depending on how much you like. 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 crushed cardamon pods, 2 star anise, 8 clementine segments, 8 apple segments cut the same, 40 g muscovado sugar, 2 bay leaf, one vanilla pod cut down centre and grate in 1\4 of a nutmeg. Heat don't boil and serve making sure some fruit and maybe the odd ingredient is in the glass for the look. A cinnamon stick is always nice to pop in the glass.

Don't scrimp on the ingredients as it will be totally different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement