Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nightime Views

• 23-12-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Well lads, Need a bit of help. Planning on taking a friend out for a spin tomorrow evening and I'm looking for a spot with a nice view around Dublin, preferably within 10-20 minutes of the city centre. Something overlooking the city would be nice. I'd love to head out to The Hellfire Club or even Howth Head, but I'm not sure what either of them are like at night?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This place used to be nice but there seems to be a lot of trees now.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2401412,-6.3205373,3a,75y,29.93h,80.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOUsxOa9j4cPCSn5uXHsjmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Howth might be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Well lads, Need a bit of help. Planning on taking a friend out for a spin tomorrow evening and I'm looking for a spot with a nice view around Dublin, preferably within 10-20 minutes of the city centre. Something overlooking the city would be nice. I'd love to head out to The Hellfire Club or even Howth Head, but I'm not sure what either of them are like at night?

It really depends on the weather, clear skies and the moon.

On a clear night and with a full moon Howth can be pretty special, but you're getting a limited view of the city lights from the summit. However there are various views of the city as you climb up the graveyard side of the hill.

The nicer views from the summit are Dublin bay and the Dublin & Wicklow coasts.

The harbour is a nice ride too, and if the evening is clear take a ride out along the Portmarnock & Malahide road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It really depends on the weather, clear skies and the moon.

On a clear night and with a full moon Howth can be pretty special, but you're getting a limited view of the city lights from the summit. However there are various views of the city as you climb up the graveyard side of the hill.

The nicer views from the summit are Dublin bay and the Dublin & Wicklow coasts.

The harbour is a nice ride too, and if the evening is clear take a ride out along the Portmarnock & Malahide road.

I agree with Howth was out there last week, only thing I will suggest is too drive towards the harbor first and then down the hill towards the graveyard you'll get a much nicer view going down than up.

If your out that way and just after the view then head to the car park in the DeerPark hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Assuming you'll be on a bike right??...:) Weather looks crap for tomorrow evening....having said that a spin out to Dun Laoghire,Bray and/or Greystones wont dissapoint imo...
    Wrap up well...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I think the OP might be popping the questions, good luck :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Cheers for the suggestions lads! might head up to Howth head. Weather is supposed to be clear and its a full moon tomorrow so it should be bright enough. Maybe a spin out to Malahide then through Portmarnock! Is this the spot you are thinking of ? Leave the bike there and walk up?

Im a long way off that! But something along those lines haha.

You won't need to leave the bike to walk anywhere, drive straight up to the summit car park.

Someone suggested the Deer Park Hotel, that's good too but nothing really to see during winter. But there's lovely views of Irelands Eye and Lambay Islands during the summer.. Trivia, Lambay Island actually have a colony of Wallabies living and breeding on it, they were introduced in the mid 1800's!.

OP I've to do some family visiting tonight otherwise I'd suggest meeting you and showing you around but I won't be free until late.

You won't need to leave the bike to walk anywhere, drive straight up to the summit car park.

Someone suggested the Deer Park Hotel, that's good too but nothing really to see during winter. But there's lovely views of Irelands Eye and Lambay Islands during the summer.. Trivia, Lambay Island actually have a colony of Wallabies living and breeding on it, they were introduced in the mid 1800's!.

OP I've to do some family visiting tonight otherwise I'd suggest meeting you and showing you around but I won't be free until late.

Ahhh perfect! Might have a look at Deer Park when the days start to get a bit warmer. Howth will do for the time being.

And no worries man, still appreciate the thought!

Btw its fecking freezing out this way this evening, and it gets really cold up at the summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You mean he's going dogging :eek:

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    You mean he's going dogging :eek:

Did he say he had a dog...??...:)

Stay in by the fire mate..........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Go Pro the dogging you dawg!!!!

Really nice views up there by the summit! Yous were spot on with the cold though!

Advertisement