Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Racing etc (Robbie Wade)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I second the SWOT analysis. Would love to hear about that when you have time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i have another question how ( if at all ) did your run training change when you moved over to the states ?
    and another
    what differeces do you see between ireland and the states approach to sport ( mainly runing and tri but also overall)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rwade1401

Hey Peter,

Sorry took a few the days got long and I didn't have much time to reply while away. I did workout everyday and drink only 3 pints of Guinness when at one of these shows so thats good news!!

To answer your question, first off my training did change some what, I actually did less overall weekly mileage my first year in college that I did prob in getting over there. But we did more speed and races for sure. Lots of races in the US system and I got injured as I loved to race and wanted to go to as many as I could and prob should have sat out more in my earlier years. There is full seasons in cross, indoor and outdoor. Towards the end I was only racing focusing on the main races.

Which brings up a point, that I alway find interesting the notice of "A" races, not sure if its something that we use back home. But over here AG Triathletes will say whats your A race, or B race etc. I tend to say if your lining up your giving it your all and killing yourself to finish the best you can on that day. You can use races to build your fitness and learn from them but the notice of going into it saying oh I'm ok if I didn't do well as its was not my "A" races. **** you could die together waiting for that "A" race in a few months. Anyway point approach all races as a max effort and maybe some you don't taper or ease off for.

In tri training, I find alot of data overload with many Tri athletes over here and it loses the meaning of learning your body and getting fitter and being able to race well on your inner senses.
    Some asked me what was my run cadence or what is my FTP in the last few weeks. This type of information and data is only good if you apply it and know why you need it. But don't go over board and keep things simple to what you need to know and can benefit you as it applied to yourself.

Hope that answers the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ceepo

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/results/athlete-detail.aspx?race=lonestar70.3&rd=20160410&bidid=17#axzz45alZCBke

You kept that quite dude. Well done Robbie. Looked like a stellar field with a few sub 2hr bikes in there. Looking forward to a bit of a report on how things went for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rwade1401

Kenny,

I actually raced in Monterrey St Paddys weekend and set the goal this year to find the form I had a few years ago and enjoy racing ahead!!

Monterrey was solid and had a PR swim (24:38) and only 2:06 down on Matt Charbot, first out the water. On the bike I got stuck in no mans land and rode 2:11 solo for 80k. On the run I felt not great and couldn't find pace and just was a zombie last 6k and ran 1:20. Fueling was not good here! finished 4:00:06 for 16th. Solid effort start as It was Oct last outing.

I had planned to do Oceanside 13 days later. But my Grandfather passed away and I came back to Portlaw for a few days. I was glad I did and mostly ran during that period with the odd swim in the Waterford and a feed of pints a few nights as you know.

I actually had a solid run off the bike 8 days out from Texas 70.3 and was looking forward to it. Race day I felt crappy in the water from the gun and lost the 2nd pack (big start list 50-60 guys and I made stupid selection to start way left) I pulled the 3rd pack around. Out in 26:40 or so and then on the bike I felt ok early but didn't feel like I found form I know I have. so rode 2:13 and lost time. Windy day on a flat course which never suits the smaller guys. But either way I was feeling the week off the bike.

On the run I felt good from the start and saw lots of guys to chase. I settled into a pace I knew I could hold and ran down 17-19 guys to run 1:15 and finish 17th in 3:57. Field was solid as guy 2 places ahead is IM champ and guy 2 places behind IM champ. A step in the right direction and glad the run is back closer to were it should be. Now time to get the bike better.

Up next is St George 70.3 on May 7th.

Most of my training is on Strava and I'll try send an update end of next week to this thread.

If you have questions shoot a message.

Thanks for checking on me!
    Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Condolences on your loss Robbie.

Good to see you racing well and enjoying it all. All the best with the lead up to May.

P.

Advertisement