Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second miscarriage

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Boots im delighted for you and your partner.
    I feel sorry for the other couple, it must be very hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Really pleased for you boots. You almost brace yourself up for the disappointment so when you see that little heartbeat, it's glorious!

Re the other couple, I remember going into the coombe about 2 months ago for my consultants appt and as I went in, a man started hammering on the emergency room door and everyone turned to look as it had been pretty quiet at 8am in the morning. Anyway, he was there with his wife behind him who was having a heavy bleed. She looked maybe 7-8 months pregnant and utterly terrified/devastated/traumatised. You knew she was losing the baby as the midwives took into full sprint to do whatever was necessary. It was the one of the worst and most upsetting things I've ever witnessed. I think everyone in the waiting room was so upset for the couple. Awful stuff.

Really pleased for you boots. You brace yourself for the disappointment so when you see that little heartbeat, it's glorious!

Re the other couple, I remember going into the coombe about 2 months ago for my consultants appt and as I went in, a man started hammering on the emergency room door and everyone turned to look as it had been pretty quiet at 8am in the morning. Anyway, he was there with his wife behind him who was having a heavy bleed. She looked maybe 7-8 months pregnant and utterly terrified/devastated/traumatised. You knew she was losing the baby as the midwives took into full sprint to do whatever was necessary. It was the one of the worst and most upsetting things I've ever witnessed. I think everyone in the waiting room was so upset for the couple. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Has anyone ever had spotting where it looks like the blood has clotted and has come out in a brown colour? My wife has had this brown stuff every day since last Monday and we are getting a bit concerned about it. It is never there in the morning or evening but usually comes in the mid-morning-afternoon. It looks like dried blood and there hasn't been any fresh red blood. Should we be concerned?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's no harm to pop into the local maternity for a bit of reassurance and maybe they can scan her to check all is ok. I've heard that brown blood is old blood - its the red blood and lots of it that can be concerning. But go get it checked out anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Yes I had brown blood occasionally until I was maybe 20 weeks pregnant, like others have said it appeared to have been old blood

I had that a lot this time around. Coombe told me to come each time if I was concerned so I went in twice but it was nothing. Go in to hospital if you're concerned, don't be torturing yourself at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Agree with Yellow hen, go to the hospital. Both my bleeds were old blood but my doctor saw me straight away. If you are worried don't ask questions and just go in, they will not turn you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

A girl I know had few bleeds. They went to hospital each time. Turns out there is a year just inside her so If she bends etc she has a little bleed nothing to worry about
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go to the hospital.But all my bleeds were brown blood.Small clots of brown blood for weeks on end.Like I've said before, I've had them on both pregnancies, but much more on the first, and it was always brown clot-type.Seriously though, don't torture yourself.This is what the maternity ward is there for.I do remember asking them should I keep coming back in on my second or third visit because I was getting a bit fed up with sitting waiting for doctors!!So you can ask them something like that....like what should you definitely come in for, given that you are worried (which is totally normal) and she is having some bleeds.They'll give you a good idea at least.

• Advertisement

swooshty wrote: »
    Go to the hospital.But all my bleeds were brown blood.Small clots of brown blood for weeks on end.Like I've said before, I've had them on both pregnancies, but much more on the first, and it was always brown clot-type.Seriously though, don't torture yourself.This is what the maternity ward is there for.I do remember asking them should I keep coming back in on my second or third visit because I was getting a bit fed up with sitting waiting for doctors!!So you can ask them something like that....like what should you definitely come in for, given that you are worried (which is totally normal) and she is having some bleeds.They'll give you a good idea at least.

My wife has booked an appointment for the Aislinn suite in CUH for next Thursday, that was the earliest appointment that she could get between work and everything. Did the hospital tell you what was causing the brown blood?

Boots234 wrote: »
    My wife has booked an appointment for the Aislinn suite in CUH for next Thursday, that was the earliest appointment that she could get between work and everything. Did the hospital tell you what was causing the brown blood?

It can be from a cycle that may have been due to bleed at that time or just simply an old build up. Generally brown blood is not too alarming, particularly if there's little or no pain accompanying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

For what it's worth, I started bleeding on the day I first got a positive pregnancy test (less than four weeks in, I'm not sure exactly.) I bled daily every single day for the rest of the first trimester, maybe even longer, I can't remember exactly. Mostly brown blood, sometimes red. Usually fairly light, but still heavy enough that I had to wear a pad every single day.

I had a good few scans in the first trimester, I know what it's like to expect bad news each time. And the very cautious relief that you get when it's all OK ... for now ... but the bleeding is still happening.

I've no idea why but something one midwife said to me that really reassured me and stuck with me ... was that the bleeding was a sign of the embryo burrowing its way good and deep into the womb lining, that you have old blood and tissue in there and the baby is just getting stuck in good and tight! And that's what was pushing the old blood and tissue out. I don't know why that reassured me so much but it really did, and made me worry a lot less. It's a nice thought! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Oh and I should probably mention that the end result was a healthy full-term baby. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Had two bleeds here too, both red and both in second trimester between 20-30 weeks (can't remember exactly). Baby boy born healthily!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Boots234 wrote:

Brown blood is usually assumed to be old blood so the bleeding isn't ongoing and not a cause for serious worry.

I completely understand the stress you and your wife are going through Boots234. I've been there a few times however, I've had two healthy boys 10yrs apart that I thank God for, everyday.

Each pregnancy was different. Some I was sicker than others, made no difference.

In my last successful pregnancy, I bled quite heavily at 16 wks but all was well. I was told at that stage, the placenta moves to a higher position so sometimes bleeding may occur so don't panic if a similar thing happens your wife.

Just try and take a day at a time. I think as your scans have been ok so far, your little one is ok. It's easy to say try not to worry, just take it a day at a time. Your wife is so lucky to have such a caring partner.

Boots234 wrote: »

No, they never really knew. Actually, this time round they didn't even bother trying to give me an explanation - just said it looks ok, come back for another scan in 2 weeks and we'll make sure it's still growing etc.

I think I've said before that pregnancy is one of those times when you really learn that modern medicine doesn't have all the answers. Unfortunately, that's the best I can give you.

This is my second, and I feel that honestly - if we were to go again and there was NO bleed I'd be a bit concerned. Which goes against everything I ever thought going into my first pregnancy, but you get to know your own body. I thought when I was pregnant first time round they could diagnose everything and find solutions for any issues that I had - turns out that they actually can't. They can do so much but only so much. When you're sick, you get used to going into your GP and being told "you have X - take this antibiotic" and pregnancy just doesn't really work like that. It's a bit of an eye-opener (well it was for me, but I like to have answers and solutions to things :) ) You really learn to just go week to week and have some belief that nature is ok. And I know it sounds easy for me to say that, but I really have been there and I know the panic. I was terrified to go to the loo for weeks on end, even when the bleeding stopped.....

You've had a couple of scans and things look good so far - and statistics are on your side at this stage, I believe? (not sure how far the pregnancy is?) so have faith and hopefully, it will all be good news next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had no bleeding on my first pregnancy but on this one, I had bleeding a couple of times a week for a month, between 12 and 16 weeks if I remember correctly. It was brownish red. Things are going well at 37 weeks so it wasn't a problem.
    I hope everything works out for you and your wife.

We got the scan moved forward to today so we had it this morning and everything is fine thankfully. Measuring at 14 weeks and 3 days. The midwife performing the ultrasound couldn't say for sure what is causing the brown discharge so my wife is going to her GP on Thursday or Friday hopefully. The midwife did say that it was common enough but hopefully the doctor will be able to tell us more. We do hate going into the hospital and we are always expecting the worst but when you see the heartbeat and the movement of the limbs on the screen you never want to leave!

Congrats Boots234. Don't be too disheartened if the GP can't tell her much more though and keep the faith :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

The gp might not be able to give the specific reason either, just in case this is what you're looking for. There can be any number of reasons and they generally aren't concerned about brown blood so won't investigate much. I had a bright red bleed at 20 weeks, was monitored, no idea what it was. There's a lot going on in there so not everything is explainable.

Advertisement