Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a total novice out...what do I need?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

So I have decided that I want to teach English in school. No preference for the age range, can be secondary, middle, high school, anything that makes a living. What I have is a Bachelor of Arts in English, and a MA in International Relations.

What I don't have is much of a clue what exactly I need to do to qualify as a teacher. My research online keeps bringing me to the so-called CELT courses, which claim to give you a certificate to teach in Ireland and everywhere around the world. And you can take the entire course for one month, and don't even have to pass exams. Surely that can't be it, however? What about a Bachelor of Education - if that's not required for becoming a teacher, why would anyone take it anyway?

So yeah...if anyone can direct me on the right path, that will be great. Is a CELT really all I need, and if not, what else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It's just post primary here( students aged 12-18yrs). You need to get your degree in English assessed by the teaching council. Then you need to do a 2 year full time teaching qualification called a PME available in various colleges. It's very costly and you could be many years day to day sub teaching (if you are lucky enough!) before even getting a maternity leave never mind a permanent job. Prospects are slim especially having just English as a teaching subject. Sorry for the pessimism but I have to be honest and give a realistic view on teaching as a career.

Celt or celta is teaching qualification just for teaching English as a foreign language. It's not accepted in post primary or secondary schools. It can be helpful in gaining work abroad as an EFL teacher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

It's just post primary here( students aged 12-18yrs). You need to get your degree in English assessed by the teaching council. Then you need to do a 2 year full time teaching qualification called a PME available in various colleges. It's very costly and you could be many years day to day sub teaching (if you are lucky enough!) before even getting a maternity leave never mind a permanent job. Prospects are slim especially having just English as a teaching subject. Sorry for the pessimism but I have to be honest and give a realistic view on teaching as a career.

Celt or celta is teaching qualification just for teaching English as a foreign language. It's not accepted in post primary or secondary schools. It can be helpful in gaining work abroad as an EFL teacher though.

Thanks, no I'm looking for a realistic perspective, as I'm still deciding. So yes, I suppose it will be quite difficult getting a teaching job in Ireland. Would an CELT enough be good for EFL teaching abroad? I haven't really thought about that much, but then there would be another problem - how would one teach English in China, Japan etc if I don't know the local language there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

The_Brood wrote: »
    Thanks, no I'm looking for a realistic perspective, as I'm still deciding. So yes, I suppose it will be quite difficult getting a teaching job in Ireland. Would an CELT enough be good for EFL teaching abroad? I haven't really thought about that much, but then there would be another problem - how would one teach English in China, Japan etc if I don't know the local language there?

I don't know enough about EFL but There's a thread especially for teaching abroad on the top of this forum, second one down. You might find some info there. Teaching is a wonderful job , once you get in to it, hope things work out for you.

Advertisement