Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent not returning calls

Options
  • 24-12-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I rang an estate agent about a property a few days ago. The receptionist told me the agent in charge of that property was in a meeting but would call me back. 4 days later, nothing.

If i was selling a property id be pretty annoyed if my estate agent was ignoring potential buyers.

Should i put a letter in the post box for the property to let them know they may want to reassess who they use to sell the property, or is that a little bit anal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It definitely would be premature. They may not have got the correct message for a number of reasons.
    Don't judge until you have had a few interactions. Ring again to speak with the agent, if not available, ask for mobile. For you, its needs to be a direct relationship.
    You be proactive, but also analyse the actions of the agent at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I rang an estate agent about a property a few days ago. The receptionist told me the agent in charge of that property was in a meeting but would call me back. 4 days later, nothing.

If i was selling a property id be pretty annoyed if my estate agent was ignoring potential buyers.
    Should i put a letter in the post box for the property to let them know they may want to reassess who they use to sell the property, or is that a little bit anal?

A lot of estate agents close for 2 weeks over Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

I went through loads of these agents early this year while hunting for a house. It got to the point that I started eliminating potential properties that were listed under a specific agency (well known). I bought a house from agent that was extremely busy, knowledgeable, straight forward and always returned calls and messages. So the good news is there are exceptions. I would have no problem dropping a letter in the owners mailbox if I was sure the actual owner was getting the mail (house not empty or not occupied by tenants).

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If you are really interested in the property, then ring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

If that happened 5 times I'd be worried. Just call again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Did you only ring the once? In fairness the receptionist may have forgotten to pass on the message - lots of possible explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Other than you are interested in buying the property, what business is it of yours how efficient the estate agent is? Or is it a selfless act on your part to ensure the seller maximises their sales price?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

No little about it, its very very anal.

Just call again and be less quick to judge and condemn people who are not perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If I was an estate agent I suspect I would see a direct correlation between the number of times someone contacts me and their interest in a property.
    If someone rang once as in this case then not again I would see it as someone just window shopping.

I appreciate in this case the Secretary said the agent would call but generally speaking I could understand a policy of letting people show the level of their interest. If not, you'd probably spend an hour a day chasing people who aren't really keen.

Finally, we've all thought about this wwaayyyy more than the Secretary or estate agent have. They likely just forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It's Xmas. We all switch off for a bit. Spring is peak viewing market so call again in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Other than you are interested in buying the property, what business is it of yours how efficient the estate agent is? Or is it a selfless act on your part to ensure the seller maximises their sales price?:rolleyes:

Him wanting to buy the property is reason enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

I've had two serious complaints with nama over the last number of months over something similar.

The second time it got so bad that I actually went to my local politician. He managed to delay "the tender process" but the outcome wasn't much different.

Both incidents were over commercial properties. Both times I had rang / emailed in excess of 10 times and either not had calls returned or got the complete run around.

The sad reality is lots of agents have lots of friends they are still doing lots of favours for them.

There is no transparency in that industry. Complete joke. Ripe for disruption going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good point. You do have to watch for EA with other agendas. Especially with property that needs upgrading. Some knock it down to a builder friend, quick sale often. Second commission six months later from the builder.

Found that happening on one deal. Walked away immediately. Not worth getting involved.
    Just one of many things to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Have found the same with some auctioneers. Don't know why it happens. Had one time where I was on about a place several times and they told me it was sold but noticed some time later it seemed to be still for sale so I asked a local and they told me that it wasn't sold at all I had asked to be told if anything fell through to get back to me on it but nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Dellnum

The reason this happens OP is because the EAs get enough interested people to offer good prices on a property, prices that will be accepted by the vendor so once they have enough interest they don't bother chasing anyone else. It makes their job a whole lot easier if the interested people phone them and then when they have a couple of bidders they exclude anyone else who rings up. If you are interested in a property you have to do the chasing.

Advertisement