Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer of Tenancy / Deceased Tenant (SDCC)

Options
  • 24-12-2015 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, admin feel free to move, I just need some advice.

Does anyone have experience in transferring of a tenancy after a named tenant passes away?

I've mailed the SDCC to get information from them on it, but just wanted to see if anyone here has had experience before.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I presume you mean a council tenancy? I didn't think that such transfers were allowed any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

As far as I know, the new tenant has to be added to the tenancy well before a tenant may pass away. I know of two people whose parents passed away and they had to move out of their home after decades. They had no claim to the house. This was in Fingal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Same story in SDCC as Lux encountered in Fingal........
    Unless the tenancy is changed to a joint tenancy during the life of the tenant- any surviving relatives living in the property vacate the property, and find alternate accommodation (and the property goes to the next person on the housing list).

Its standard practice. Once upon a time a council house could remain, intergenerationally, in the one family. Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Thanks a mil for the information. Appreciate it.

Same story in SDCC as Lux encountered in Fingal........
    Unless the tenancy is changed to a joint tenancy during the life of the tenant- any surviving relatives living in the property vacate the property, and find alternate accommodation (and the property goes to the next person on the housing list).

Its standard practice. Once upon a time a council house could remain, intergenerationally, in the one family. Not anymore.

Just an update on this. Was onto a Sinn Fein councillor. He reckons that i should apply for tenancy, but has a feeling council will reject. Perhaps because it will leave 2 people in 3 bed house.

I rang SDCC today, girl said i cant apply until my mam has passed away.

Think is I would like to buy the house through there new scheme.

Dont really know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just an update on this. Was onto a Sinn Fein councillor. He reckons that i should apply for tenancy, but has a feeling council will reject. Perhaps because it will leave 2 people in 3 bed house.

I rang SDCC today, girl said i cant apply until my mam has passed away.

Think is I would like to buy the house through there new scheme.

Dont really know what to do.

If you don't have a joint tenancy then you won't be able to do this. Instead the council will reallocate the property to a family of five or six, currently waiting for housing. Two people in a council property with three bedrooms is significantly underoccupied and given the current housing crisis I can't see them bending the rules for you.

Do you know if my mam (tenant) and myself are able to buy the house?

Seems a pity to leave the house after living there 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Best to ask the council if they will sell your mum the house first. Depending on her circumstances (I'll health etc) they may not sell her the house. As far as I'm aware you can't buy it as you are not a tenant.

Advertisement