Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ecars Welcome Pack

• 24-12-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Well My "Welcome Pack" Arrived today it contained a Charger Access Card and thats it,nada nothing else Even though the front of the pack states All you need to know about charging your electric car

I am technical but for someone who knows very little about charging etc its very poor

Heres pics of exactly what I recieved

mylesm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

i got mine yesterday. it contained a list of stations which wont work with the card but can be accessed by the ESB support centre.

Charger should be installed early in 2016 and car expected in mid january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

RGS wrote: »
    i got mine yesterday. it contained a list of stations which wont work with the card but can be accessed by the ESB support centre.

Charger should be installed early in 2016 and car expected in mid january.

The Front of the pack States all you need to know about charging your Electric car and then theres absolutely nothing about how to charge a car contained in it

If you go to the E-cars website I'm nearly sure there is a guide on the different types of chargers.

The dealer usually goes through this anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

If you go to the E-cars website I'm nearly sure there is a guide on the different types of chargers.

The dealer usually goes through this anyway.

Agreed. however the front of the pack does call it
    "ECAR CHARGING GUIDE" all you need to know about charging your electric car.
    Provides no info.
    Did the internet searches before i committed to buying but the pack is devoid of info.

The sales person should show you the fast charger , the most difficult thing at first is connecting and disconnecting the big plug. The standard street chargers are a doddle. And if the sales person shows you how to use the home charge point V their own standard charge point then this isn't any different than using a public charge point other than you have to scan your card.

The Big DC fast charger plugs can be a bit awkward until you get used to them.

• Advertisement

The sales person should show you the fast charger , the most difficult thing at first is connecting and disconnecting the big plug. The standard street chargers are a doddle. And if the sales person shows you how to use the home charge point V their own standard charge point then this isn't any different than using a public charge point other than you have to scan your card.

The Big DC fast charger plugs can be a bit awkward until you get used to them.
    Mad Lad I think you are missing the point I can use the chargers I had a leaf out for the 2 day test I was just pointing out sloppy service by Ecars to send out a pack that states all you need to know to charge your electric car and then absolutely nothing in it except a card its just not good enough in my opinion

After all it is called a Welcome Pack so It should contain info relevant to the charger network and maybe a welcome to the world of EV Driving etc but nothing but a card its pretty poor and really I would have expected more as We are the early adopters and will probably champion EV Driving

TBH I just took the cards out and shredded the rest, wasn't interested in reading the BS.

But I get your point............finally ! :D

TBH I just took the cards out and shredded the rest, wasn't interested in reading the BS.

But I get your point............finally ! :D

The Cards did you get more than one

Yeah got two,

One piece of advice, always keep the card in the car. I keep it in the sunglasses holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Yeah got two

Hmm. Only one came to us, last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Fastpud

only one to me as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

They started sending out only one card last January.

Which is another pain in the ass and symptom of eCars management not thinking things through.

What if you lost your card? Don't go anywhere until you get a replacement?
    What if it's christmas and you won't get the replacement until mid january?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Please post your query's to the esb ecars facebook page, maybe if enough of us do it will cause some public embarrassment and get this sorted.

https://www.facebook.com/ESBecars/

I can't imagine losing my card, the only way this would happen is if I don't put it back in the car each time I use it. I keep in the sunglasses holder. Haven't lost it yet.

I'd say I have a greater chance to loose the spare card to be honest.

I can't imagine losing my card, the only way this would happen is if I don't put it back in the car each time I use it. I keep in the sunglasses holder. Haven't lost it yet.

I'd say I have a greater chance to loose the spare card to be honest.

I lost one card down a drain next to a chargepoint. It slipped out of my pocket.

s*** happens...

cros13 wrote: »
    I lost one card down a drain next to a chargepoint. It slipped out of my pocket.

s*** happens...

Plus if you had 2 each driver could carry one in their wallet if 2 people shared the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

http://www.myfob.ie/
    I might pop into these guys after the new year and see about a fob, it would be much better on my keys than fumbling in my wallet at a charge point when I already have my keys in my hand.

mylesm wrote: »
    Plus if you had 2 each driver could carry one in their wallet if 2 people shared the car

Until you leave your wallet behind, far less chance of loosing the card if you always keep it in the car then whoever uses the car will always have a card.

Until you leave your wallet behind, far less chance of loosing the card if you always keep it in the car then whoever uses the car will always have a card.

true but really a spare card which means 2 should be supplied in the so called welcome pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

mylesm wrote: »
    Think you will find the cards are not the same.If you connect with card A and the wife turns up with card B the cable will not release?

• Advertisement

reboot wrote: »
    Think you will find the cards are not the same.If you connect with card A and the wife turns up with card B the cable will not release?

Correct. Only the same card can unlock the charger.

I tried this with my two cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Correct. Only the same card can unlock the charger.

I tried this with my two cards.

But (depending on charger) any card will do - not just the charge card. Several reports on Facebook of people using ID cards, bank cards, travel cards etc. They work on at least some chargers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

reboot wrote: »

They aren't the same but should be linked to the same account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just realised that I have no card and am collecting the car tomorrow:eek:

I have a granny cable but thats not much fun....
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just realised that I have no card and am collecting the car tomorrow:eek:

I have a granny cable but thats not much fun....
    Thanks

Bring your contactless bank card. They work too seemly :)

Otherwise, I'm sure the dealer will give you a lend of one until yours arrives.

kceire wrote: »
    Bring your contactless bank card. They work too seemly :)

Otherwise, I'm sure the dealer will give you a lend of one until yours arrives.

Good thinking batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Or a Leap card :D

Any RFID enabled card does the trick so I've heard...

Thanks, just called the e cars, my application has been received, I am on the list: Leap with a Leaf:D

Thanks, just called the e cars, my application has been received, I am on the list: Leap with a Leaf:D

Just got a call today. Seemly the Nissan system crashed last night. They can't process new car sales at all. There telling people they should have t sorted by tomorrow.

Something to do with Esb networks working near their HQ where the data servers are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When you're at a charging post you can phone ECars and they will remotely give you access, there should be a unique charger number on the side, this is what they told me when I enquired because I'm buying a used car from the UK, they told me it could be a few weeks until I get the card but they are open 24/7 and there's no issue with phoning up for free remote access (to the ESB chargpoints)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Does the ecars card work in the Republic and the North only, or also in the rest of the UK? If not in the rest of the UK, what do you do for a holiday over there? Or even further afield (France, NL, Belgium, Germany, etc.)?

unkel wrote: »
    Does the ecars card work in the Republic and the North only, or also in the rest of the UK? If not in the rest of the UK, what do you do for a holiday over there? Or even further afield (France, NL, Belgium, Germany, etc.)?

Look at zap map for uk : a lot of providers... all need to be paid!!
    slave1 wrote: »
    When you're at a charging post you can phone ECars and they will remotely give you access, there should be a unique charger number on the side, this is what they told me when I enquired because I'm buying a used car from the UK, they told me it could be a few weeks until I get the card but they are open 24/7 and there's no issue with phoning up for free remote access (to the ESB chargpoints)

Yep they told me that and I also had to use that system when I was on the test run as the garage card was cracked!!

kceire wrote: »
    Just got a call today. Seemly the Nissan system crashed last night. They can't process new car sales at all. There telling people they should have t sorted by tomorrow.

Something to do with Esb networks working near their HQ where the data servers are.

KC, I just checked, its first of March, not April!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

I don't think the ecars card works outside of Ireland.

I downloaded an app from www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road , checked out their locations on www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway , and had no bother whatsoever driving from Rochdale to Holyhead.

It does cost £6 per 30 mins though. And that is 30 minutes... the charger stops after 30 minutes, which may not be 80%!

It couldn't be simpler, just download the app, give them your credit card details on the app, and away you go, no need for cards to be delivered etc.

Check out www.zap-map.com/live/ , for locations of chargers across the uk.

I used ecotricity, but there are other companies across the uk.

KC, I just checked, its first of March, not April!

:D

• Advertisement

Fiesta wrote: »
    It does cost £6 per 30 mins though. And that is 30 minutes... the charger stops after 30 minutes, which may not be 80%!.

How much a kWh?

The 30 mins is a good idea as it will help stopping them being hogged

How much a kWh?

I've no idea, I used it twice, the first time I wasn't far from turtle mode, range was 0, and the battery percentage was ---, and got to 76% when the machine stopped, and the second time was 84% I think.

30 mins....and it stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »

Lots of planning and sourcing cards weeks in advance. The EU need to step in and allow for some all encompassing method, although not really much use for the UK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Use the local number 01 258 3799 and not the locall 1890 number listed on the chargers.
    As others have said use a different rfid car to try first and only ring in an emergency i.e. cable won't disconnect or to report a fault.

Fiesta wrote: »
    I've no idea, I used it twice, the first time I wasn't far from turtle mode, range was 0, and the battery percentage was ---, and got to 76% when the machine stopped, and the second time was 84% I think.

30 mins....and it stops.

Thanks, the first data is valuable, so what size is the battery and will will get Big Blue to crunch the numbers!!

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    Lots of planning and sourcing cards weeks in advance. The EU need to step in and allow for some all encompassing method, although not really much use for the UK :D

I had to smile at this, given the stroke that 3 and Meteor have pulled with the data roaming in EU today....

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/adrian-weckler-this-giant-loophole-is-making-a-joke-of-eus-roaming-law-35491608.html

I have 10 different cards for the UK alone.... at one point London alone had 37 systems.

The big problem I've had is remembering which card I use when starting the charge.

I spent half an hour on the phone to chargemaster because my cable was locked to the chargepoint at at sainsbury's in wandsworth.
    The issue was it took so long for the card error to clear I kept trying cards and the one I started the the charge with eventually turned out to be the ecotricity card.

Thanks, the first data is valuable, so what size is the battery and will will get Big Blue to crunch the numbers!!

Mines a 24kW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I emailed ecars lastnight to tell them I was buying in UK. They said I needed to submit utility bill and proof of purchase. I submitted utility bill and said I would submit POP once I had the car. I also asked for 2 cards. Just got email to say application has been approved and 2 RFID cards would be in the post :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

goz83 wrote: »
    I emailed ecars lastnight to tell them I was buying in UK. They said I needed to submit utility bill and proof of purchase. I submitted utility bill and said I would submit POP once I had the car. I also asked for 2 cards. Just got email to say application has been approved and 2 RFID cards would be in the post :)

You don't need POP, an email confirming your deposit will be enough, that worked for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You don't need POP, an email confirming your deposit will be enough, that worked for me...

I didn't even need that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think they might be copping on to the fact that alot of people are in the same boat (so to speak!) and requiring proof of purchase is just a pointless waste of everyones time.

Its not like they have thousands of people banging on their door for cards and while its free they have nothing to lose by handing them out.

When they have charging for charging they will just disable any non-paying cards anyway so its all the one.

Advertisement