Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ecars Welcome Pack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Does the ecars card work in the Republic and the North only, or also in the rest of the UK? If not in the rest of the UK, what do you do for a holiday over there? Or even further afield (France, NL, Belgium, Germany, etc.)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Does the ecars card work in the Republic and the North only, or also in the rest of the UK? If not in the rest of the UK, what do you do for a holiday over there? Or even further afield (France, NL, Belgium, Germany, etc.)?

Look at zap map for uk : a lot of providers... all need to be paid!!
    slave1 wrote: »
    When you're at a charging post you can phone ECars and they will remotely give you access, there should be a unique charger number on the side, this is what they told me when I enquired because I'm buying a used car from the UK, they told me it could be a few weeks until I get the card but they are open 24/7 and there's no issue with phoning up for free remote access (to the ESB chargpoints)

Yep they told me that and I also had to use that system when I was on the test run as the garage card was cracked!!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

kceire wrote: »
    Just got a call today. Seemly the Nissan system crashed last night. They can't process new car sales at all. There telling people they should have t sorted by tomorrow.

Something to do with Esb networks working near their HQ where the data servers are.

KC, I just checked, its first of March, not April!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

I don't think the ecars card works outside of Ireland.

I downloaded an app from www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road , checked out their locations on www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway , and had no bother whatsoever driving from Rochdale to Holyhead.

It does cost £6 per 30 mins though. And that is 30 minutes... the charger stops after 30 minutes, which may not be 80%!

It couldn't be simpler, just download the app, give them your credit card details on the app, and away you go, no need for cards to be delivered etc.

Check out www.zap-map.com/live/ , for locations of chargers across the uk.

I used ecotricity, but there are other companies across the uk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KC, I just checked, its first of March, not April!

:D

• Advertisement

Fiesta wrote: »
    It does cost £6 per 30 mins though. And that is 30 minutes... the charger stops after 30 minutes, which may not be 80%!.

How much a kWh?

The 30 mins is a good idea as it will help stopping them being hogged

How much a kWh?

I've no idea, I used it twice, the first time I wasn't far from turtle mode, range was 0, and the battery percentage was ---, and got to 76% when the machine stopped, and the second time was 84% I think.

30 mins....and it stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »

Lots of planning and sourcing cards weeks in advance. The EU need to step in and allow for some all encompassing method, although not really much use for the UK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

When you're at a charging post you can phone ECars and they will remotely give you access, there should be a unique charger number on the side, this is what they told me when I enquired because I'm buying a used car from the UK, they told me it could be a few weeks until I get the card but they are open 24/7 and there's no issue with phoning up for free remote access (to the ESB chargpoints)

Use the local number 01 258 3799 and not the locall 1890 number listed on the chargers.
    As others have said use a different rfid car to try first and only ring in an emergency i.e. cable won't disconnect or to report a fault.

Fiesta wrote: »
    I've no idea, I used it twice, the first time I wasn't far from turtle mode, range was 0, and the battery percentage was ---, and got to 76% when the machine stopped, and the second time was 84% I think.

30 mins....and it stops.

Thanks, the first data is valuable, so what size is the battery and will will get Big Blue to crunch the numbers!!

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    Lots of planning and sourcing cards weeks in advance. The EU need to step in and allow for some all encompassing method, although not really much use for the UK :D

I had to smile at this, given the stroke that 3 and Meteor have pulled with the data roaming in EU today....

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/adrian-weckler-this-giant-loophole-is-making-a-joke-of-eus-roaming-law-35491608.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I have 10 different cards for the UK alone.... at one point London alone had 37 systems.

The big problem I've had is remembering which card I use when starting the charge.

I spent half an hour on the phone to chargemaster because my cable was locked to the chargepoint at at sainsbury's in wandsworth.
    The issue was it took so long for the card error to clear I kept trying cards and the one I started the the charge with eventually turned out to be the ecotricity card.

Thanks, the first data is valuable, so what size is the battery and will will get Big Blue to crunch the numbers!!

Mines a 24kW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I emailed ecars lastnight to tell them I was buying in UK. They said I needed to submit utility bill and proof of purchase. I submitted utility bill and said I would submit POP once I had the car. I also asked for 2 cards. Just got email to say application has been approved and 2 RFID cards would be in the post :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

goz83 wrote: »
    I emailed ecars lastnight to tell them I was buying in UK. They said I needed to submit utility bill and proof of purchase. I submitted utility bill and said I would submit POP once I had the car. I also asked for 2 cards. Just got email to say application has been approved and 2 RFID cards would be in the post :)

You don't need POP, an email confirming your deposit will be enough, that worked for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You don't need POP, an email confirming your deposit will be enough, that worked for me...

I didn't even need that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think they might be copping on to the fact that alot of people are in the same boat (so to speak!) and requiring proof of purchase is just a pointless waste of everyones time.

Its not like they have thousands of people banging on their door for cards and while its free they have nothing to lose by handing them out.

When they have charging for charging they will just disable any non-paying cards anyway so its all the one.

Advertisement