Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you home for Christmas? How are you finding it?

• 24-12-2015 11:56am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am back for three weeks - and will be moving home in March-ish. It's absolutely a constant whirlwind of emotions.

I stayed in my friend's apartment in Rathmines and I found myself falling in love with the place entirely.

When I got on my flight back I had a huge welling up of "this is the last time I do this flight without coming back for good". Ignoring the fact I'll be back to the US for work, but when I am back for work, Dublin will be my home.

I am living out of suitcase and staying in my mothers, mother in law's, and a friends place. So cant wait to be back with my own place!!

All presents were sent from Amazon.co.uk so finally getting to wrap them.

I keep saying "Happy Holidays" not "Happy Christmas".

I dont mind the weather at all!

I am loving breaking the news to people I am coming back!! Most good friends I've told before but it's so nice to do it in real life too.

I know xmas can be hard sometimes too, so sending <3 to all fellow immigrants!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yeah, back for a while. Not much changes in a small town. No one seems to have aged. I really need the time away to be able to switch off totally from work(no worrying, no checking work email at home), shows how much stress I was under at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

em I'm struggling big time my extended family keep me at an arms length & I feel like I'm in the way friends have their own new traditions in the marriages/first babies think it will be my last Christmas in Ireland for a while.

I want to enjoy it but feel like an outsider in every situation......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's my first xmas in ireland in over five years and I'm loathing it. Compared to it being a chilled day that I've become accustomed to abroad everyone I know is having minor breakdowns over stupid things that don't matter.

If I'm still living here next year, which is looking increasingly unlikely I think I'd rather fly away for the xmas break than ensure the drama.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Not this year. Staying at home in the UK and having a peaceful, low-key Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ponster wrote: »
    Not this year. Staying at home in the UK and having a peaceful, low-key Christmas :)

Enjoying the break, though heading back on Sunday.

Interesting having nights out with friends and family - it's as if we never left which makes moving back in July that bit easier.

A few surprises that life throws at you made it somewhat challenging, but overall great so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Loving it, Cork is looking well, there's a buzz around the place that's been steadily increasing the last few years.
    Really going to have a tough decision in about 4/5 years about coming back full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

I left on the 12th December and came to Florida. Love it such a nicer lifestyle. People leave you be and everyone is so happy here. Your sure of sunshine and it's much nicer to wake up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Not home but enjoying the fact this is the last 'fake' christmas. I've not had a 'real' xmas in over 4 years so while we were eating our pizza dinner (had sushi for lunch:rolleyes:), we were talking about great it'll be next year to have Mammy's dinner and be in front of the fire with a real xmas tree.

What I wouldn't give for a sandwich with left over turkey and ham, washed down with a can of coke and followed by 15 Roses right now... but knowing it's coming next year is a massive comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Home in Dublin from Shanghai, I've been there only 3 weeks :p but am out there for 6-12 months with work. Usually I live in England. Am already feeling the difference between how I usually feel when home at Christmas from England, ie this time I'm constantly thinking about how I'll be back in China in the blink of an eye (it feels like) :(

I'm hoping I'll be home by next summer, rather than the full 12 months. It's ok but I certainly don't have the same appetite for adventure as I would have 5-7 years ago. And the smog is disgusting. Interesting country though with lots to see and do.

It's nice in a way to go on trips/secondments like that and be 100% sure of where you want to settle down afterwards :) Rather than constantly thinking 'what if'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

How is everyone feeling after The Christmas? I am still in Dubland, for work.
    Have to say I am *loving* seeing everyone post-Christmas (ie no madness) and just *being* in Dublin. I walked down Dame St last night on the way to an event and the memories are everywhere. Some are cringeworthy, I joked about them when I met friends, but I just felt so much more <warning cheesy coming> alive and like real? I dunno. Happy to be here, happy to be coming home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was home for 2 weeks, couldn't get out the door with the constant rain :( It was nice catching up with people but I am happy to back where I am now. Can't ever see myself returning to live in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I opted out of an Irish Christmas in Ireland this year and delighted that I did. I was able to cherry-pick the best bits of "how Christmas used to be" without the commerical chaos that it's become in my (extended) family. I've still got my tree and other decorations up :cool: - it's great knowing that no-one here's in a rush to strip the house bare - and I've had more fun this year sharing "Irish" traditions with my French friends.

I was a bit weird though, listening to RTE and hearing about the floods and the rain when we had unseasonable glorious sunshine, so much so that I had to postpone my actual Christmas Dinner - just couldn't muster the enthusiasm for a proper roast when it was 20°C outside!

According to SonNo.1 (who's staying with Granny while he's in UCD) there's a rumour going around that they're all coming here next year ... :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I was out in Dublin come rain or shine, tis part of the charm!

I think there's a lot to be said for doing Xmas abroad. Personally, half the charm is the absolutely madness, but my OH would love to travel. Next year when we are settled here (the EXCITEMENT!) I will do Xmas here and then maybe pick somewhere else for New Years to travel to? Seems like a nice compromise. Also first year with own home hopefully so also doing Xmas night at home maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ah yeah. It's not really the family madness I mind, and I'd be delighted if they all came here (I've known for a while that my baby sister's been working on persuading my mother that it would be a good idea, and my other sister's "only" up the road in Germany so it'd probably be cheaper for her than getting flights for five of them. But myself and baby-sister are the kind who make our own party; other sister and The Mammy need shops, lots of shops, and there aren't any! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Flights booked! Home the 10th until the 6th, a combo of vacation and work! Can't wait

It's so lovely to come back home for Christmas. This is my first xmas after having moved back in March and I am already excited for it. Gonna buy an obnoxiously big tree. haha

Advertisement