Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC - possibility to use existing parts?

Options
  • 24-12-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €500 - €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming only. I have an office PC for work.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes -
    Samsung 128GB SSD HDD
    WD 2TB Caviar Green HDD

I could even strip a Dell Optiplex 9020 if any of those parts would help? It's a SFF with a tiny power supply so that's why I need to get a new machine. It has -
    i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz
    4x 4GB of RAM (not sure about the speed)

5. Do you need a monitor? No. Have two, don;t know which is better?
    Dell U2412M
    Dell P2412H
    http://versus.com/en/dell-p2412h-vs-dell-ultrasharp-u2412m

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]
    1920 x 1200 is the max resolution of the Dell U2412M but aiming for 1080p

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No - box only

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Kildare & Dublin

I've never built one before but am very technical and work in IT so I'm happy to give it a go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Quick glance you need case, mobo, and power supply gpu. Should end up with a decent gaming rig.

60 case. Can go into more detail later
    60 psu can get a seasonic or be quiet for around this price
    80 mobo
    And rest can put on decent gpu. Say a r9 390 or GTX 970.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can re-use virtually everything but the case and power supply - I don't think the motherboard will work either, Dell have gone back to proprietary power supplies and boards in their newer machines.

The CPU, Ram, hard drives are all good.

So what you'd be looking for is just a case, power supply, graphics card and motherboard. Here's an example:

H97 Mobo
    430W PSU
    Corsair SPEC-01 Case
    GTX970 Strix

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks guys - really appreciate the input and I'm delighted that I can re-use the existing parts because it'll save me a fortune and allow me to get a great GPU. I figured the CPU was good but really wasn't sure about simply popping it onto another motherboard.

Stupid question I know but the CPU has a fan sitting on top of it. Is this generic and would it simply move onto the new motherboard along with the CPU, or is this something that I'd need to get separately?

It depends, the Dell one is possibly screwed into a backplate instead of the standard intel push-pin design.

It may be possible to reuse, sometimes the OEM screw-in design coolers have the backplate stuck to the back of the motherboard with double sided sticky pads though which means you'd have to buy more pads to switch it.

This is a basic cooler that would do the job OK, this is a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Just reading through some of the reviews for the GTX970 Strix and thinking that this might actually be overkill for what I need? There's a lot of talk about about 4K resolution with this card and all I am looking for is 1080p. Fallout 4 is top of my list of games to play.

So, would a GTX960 Strix be more appropriate (and save a lot of dosh!)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Just reading through some of the reviews for the GTX970 Strix and thinking that this might actually be overkill for what I need? There's a lot of talk about about 4K resolution with this card and all I am looking for is 1080p. Fallout 4 is top of my list of games to play.

So, would a GTX960 Strix be more appropriate (and save a lot of dosh!)?

970 good for watching 4k movies maybe. Wouldn't bank on one for 4k gaming. Think next gen cards are more aimed at 4k/ vr.

A 970 for me is more 1080p ultra graphics, good fps gaming.

Should note, I'm just not a fan of the 960. Value /performance.

The GTX970 is not particularly good for 4K gaming, but it's excellent for 1080P gaming.

The GTX960 is an OK card but it can't run the latest games at ultra settings at 1080p.

If you plan having it a few years, the GTX970 is the far better buy if the funds allow which they appear to.

Advertisement