Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skylake Build and buying advice

Options
  • 24-12-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi Lads and Lassies,

My old BTX dell 9200 is finally on the way out after years of good service.
    So I'm considering a skylake build to replace it..

1. What is your budget? ~€450

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Work-Software dev, vmware, light gaming- ARMA, CoD etc

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes - Monitor,DVD drive, HD's, SSD, KB and Mouse. Will stick to the old GTX 285 card I have with a view to replacing it with a GTX 950/960 in a few months.
    I'm not sure yet if I can re-use my old 500w BTX PSU more research required there(am not opposed to a bit of soldering if necessary)

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5a. Monitor is 27" 2560x1440

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, but value quietness.

8. How can you pay? CC/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? Within a month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Have build before, so hoping at all goes to plan.

I've been looking at new eggs IE portal, great prices but wondering if i'll get stung with tax, or can they dispatch from within EU?

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 - €69,99

GIGABYTE GA-H170-D3HP - €105,99

Intel Core i5-6600 - €211,99
    Subtotal: €387,97

Would just need to pick up a case more locally(room for 4x 3.5" drives) and possibly a PSU.

A similar build on amazon.co.uk is coming out about EUR 533,44
    This includes a BitFenix NOVA case and Corsair VS550 PSU

So I'm thinking I'd have to drop down to 8GB(2x4) ram and a i5 6500 to get closer to the budget.
    or even drop skylake and go for a ddr3 build?, a 4690 is more expensive than a 6500 though on amazon, so probably not much to be saved there.

Would love to hear your thoughts, case/psu recommendations etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd go Haswell on the budget, but you could fit a Skylake one if you really wanted.

If Haswell I'd just go i5 4460, there's no difference really to the more expensive 4670

Advertisement