Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Lets hope for a brighter 2015 and beyond! Man Utd will never die!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Best Christmas present would be back to back wins in the league.

New thread, nearly a new year, lets hope its a better year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Merry Christmas ye shower of pups!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was posting a reply and lost it in the last thread. Thank you Lord :p

It was about the media and Van Gaal.

To make it much shorter, we will see after two games who was right and who was wrong and if an apology is due.

Andy Mitten says he heard nothing about two games and then a possible sacking and he can't see Van Gaal being sacked when Woodward said that Van Gaal is a genius earlier this month, as Ed would undermine his own position.

• Sign me up for another found of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

January predictions.

Manager: LVG
    League position: 4th
    Players in: 1 maybe
    Players out: feeling Young to west ham will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    January predictions.

Manager: LVG
    League position: 4th
    Players in: 1 maybe
    Players out: feeling Young to west ham will happen.
    Don't see how he could sell young unless rumours of him fall out with him too are true.

If he sells Young it is yet another terrible squad management decision from him.

We need to add to the squad, not further reduce it - it is paper thin as it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Manchester United and Spurs want me, says Newcastle's Ayoze Perez

Direct quotes from the player. Dont know much about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Welbeck is no good
    Anderson is still fat...
    Cleverly is the andrea pirlo of Manchester
    love Nani
    hate Nani
    Mike Phelan's shorts are class.....
    Berbatov would be a class player if we used him properly

Five cantonas
    four cantonas
    three cantonas
    two cantonas
    and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This thread is the corner being turned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Van Gaal out.

Santa in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Happy Christmas ya alll and a verry happy new thread.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads were talking about Nani on the other thread -

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-news-how-robin-van-persie-javier-hernandez-and-nani-have-scored-the-same-amount-as-a6784231.html

according to that article, Nani, Hernandez and RVP have scored the same amount of league goals this season, as the entire United team combined - 22.

they have 30 between them in all comps, 64 games played and all we keep hearing is how injury proned they are. the 5 main players who left us in the summer have played almost 100 games between them so far.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas ya alll and a verry happy new thread.........
    Merry Christmas ould buddy

This wee lady wishes you a very merry Christmas
    RachelRiley.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-news-how-robin-van-persie-javier-hernandez-and-nani-have-scored-the-same-amount-as-a6784231.html

according to that article, Nani, Hernandez and RVP have scored the same amount of league goals this season, as the entire United team combined - 22.

they have 30 between them in all comps.

Jeez above that's a pretty damning stat alright
    But lets be honest about it, they wouldn't have gotten that many in this team
    And there wasn't widespread outcry about the 3 of them being sold...
    We made a few bob off them and hopefully there younger replacements Martial and Memphis will flourish during 2016 and we're all saying who were nani, hernandez and van persie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brinty wrote: »
    Welbeck is no good
    Anderson is still fat...
    Cleverly is the andrea pirlo of Manchester
    love Nani
    hate Nani
    Mike Phelan's shorts are class.....
    Berbatov would be a class player if we used him properly

Five cantonas
    four cantonas
    three cantonas
    two cantonas
    and a partridge in a pear tree...

It's like you're not even trying. :P

12 Is a hard one
    11 FA Cups
    10 Year since Roy Keane
    9 Years since Scholes' goal
    8 League goal difference
    7 Eric Cantona
    6 Injuries for Stoke match
    5 Record transfers
    4 League Cups
    3 Champions Leagues
    2 Weeks to save Van Gaal's job
    And the most league titles in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Merry Christmas ye bunch of mad bastards! X

my problem with the press conference yesterday is that is was bullish, but meaningless.

It is all well and good showing fight in front of the media - but until his mentiality towards United and football changes, it will count for nothing. It is on the pitch where we need to see Van Gaal show confidence, and very little in the 18months of his managing of United point to that being likely. Certainly nothing this season points to LVG realising he needs to change the pace of the United side and give the players more freedom.

Until the style United play changes, we will remain a side very easy to defend against. I could set a team up to get a draw with United tomorrow. Keep the defence back, one midfielder to slow the man on the ball, and then the united player will play it safely and slowly backwards, allowing plenty of time for the rest of the team to create two banks of four. Allow United to play from side to side because they won't try to create space with positional switching and there will be little to no threat in behind. As long as you don't get caught out with a knock down in the box from a cross it is unlikely United will create anything at all.

United need far more movement in the final third, everything is so static and positionally restrained. We need to move the ball far quicker, players spend too long on the ball - which is down to the lack of movement. We need players making runs to pull defenders away and make space - and then we need midfield runners to attack that space, which simply doesn't happen.

I can't see LVG having the desire to make the changes that are required to make United a threat - his assumption seems to be that the opposition will come rushing out to hunt the ball and we can then exploit the space - but it simply isn't going to happen because the opposition don't need to hunt the ball down. They can simply wait til we play an inevitable bad pass or a 50/50 cross and then break from there.

brinty wrote: »
    Jeez above that's a pretty damning stat alright
    But lets be honest about it, they wouldn't have gotten that many in this team
    And there wasn't widespread outcry about the 3 of them being sold...
    We made a few bob off them and hopefully there younger replacements Martial and Memphis will flourish during 2016 and we're all saying who were nani, hernandez and van persie....

Say Martial and Memphis do flourish. they would be excellent first team players. But I'd certainly prefer to see Nani playing on the right instead of Mata or Lingard (so still a spot for Memphis) and Hernandez or RVP would be better coming off the bench or rotating into the starting line up for Martial or Rooney than the NOT A SINGLE STRIKER we have now.

When people were ok with these players being moved on in the summer it was with the assumption that younger players would get the nod or replacements were going to be brought in.

In the summer most were saying we needed to add quality to the attack, from an offensive point of view we let go of the following:

Nani, Di Maria, Januzaj, Hernandez, Falcao, RVP.

We only brought in two attacking players.

And then we let Wilson go too.

So from a side that needed more attacking talent, we have lost 7 offensive players and brought in two.

We then suffer through poor form and injuries to our attacking players and can do feck all about it because the squad is so small and lacking in quality. Massive mistakes were made during the summer.

It's like you're not even trying. :P

12 Is a hard one
    11 FA Cups
    10 Year since Roy Keane
    9 Years since Scholes' goal
    8 League goal difference
    7 Eric Cantona
    6 Injuries for Stoke match
    5 Record transfers
    4 League Cups
    3 Champions Leagues
    2 Weeks to save Van Gaal's job
    And the most league titles in England.

12 phillip nevilles
    11 giggys
    10 sparky hughes
    9 brian mcclairs
    8 special juan's
    7 eric's
    6 jaap stams
    5 lee sharpes
    4 stevie bruce's
    3 denis irwins
    2 gary Neville and
    a big red nosed Danish man.....

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Manchester United and Spurs want me, says Newcastle's Ayoze Perez

Direct quotes from the player. Dont know much about him.

Good technique, good running with the ball and works hard. You'd have to question Perez's ability to get on the end of chances, but that's probably not the most important thing for the 10 at United right now. His other attributes certainly look like what's needed in LVG's system.

Say Martial and Memphis do flourish. they would be excellent first team players. But I'd certainly prefer to see Nani playing on the right instead of Mata or Lingard (so still a spot for Memphis) and Hernandez or RVP would be better coming off the bench or rotating into the starting line up for Martial or Rooney than the NOT A SINGLE STRIKER we have now.

When people were ok with these players being moved on in the summer it was with the assumption that younger players would get the nod or replacements were going to be brought in.

In the summer most were saying we needed to add quality to the attack, from an offensive point of view we let go of the following:

Nani, Di Maria, Januzaj, Hernandez, Falcao, RVP.

We only brought in two attacking players.

And then we let Wilson go too.

So from a side that needed more attacking talent, we have lost 7 offensive players and brought in two.

We then suffer through poor form and injuries to our attacking players and can do feck all about it because the squad is so small and lacking in quality. Massive mistakes were made during the summer.

All fair points mitch but I think most people wanted central midfield and defence sorted first which by en large happened before all these injuries occured...

Only once we started shipping players out did the need for attacking players come to the forefront and we royally screwed up on it...

Now here's hoping if LVG is still in charge that he has a couple of targets identified and they can come in and have an impact straight away or he will be out of a job..

This might be a slightly singular opinion but I think LVG has done well to reduce a very bloated squad which he took over to clear money out for wages. Now obviously he hasn't gotten in the targets he wanted after freeing up that wage bracket but who knows what tomorrow holds...

Maybe Santa will be bringing us a very late Christmas present in June of a neymar or bale who could help bring the team further forward..

I think that's giving a lot of people far too much credit. There were those who were talking as if they assumed that the squad positions being vacated would be properly refilled, but there were also a hell of a lot of people just blithely praising LVG for "getting rid of dead wood" and "trimming the squad" and so on. It's still going on. It's an automatic and unthinking response to anybody pointing out how badly the manager messed up his squad building.

Wake up to losts of posts and a new thread and I see TheDoc was owning the thread nice actually reading some intelligent opinions in here.

@TheDoc have you a list of podcast you listen to?

Would any kind soul link me the Andy Mitten interview please.

I'd run through brick walls for Louis after the last 2 days and I'm expecting the players to burst thier balls on saturday.

Happy Christmas Fúckers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

they have 30 between them in all comps, 64 games played and all we keep hearing is how injury proned they are. the 5 main players who left us in the summer have played almost 100 games between them so far.

I don't think your stats are right, according to whoscored.com the three of them have 38 goals between them, from 20 games each. (Chico has 21 games)

Add Di Maria to the stats and its 51 goals.

ETA: League goals and total goals, thats probably the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wake up to losts of posts and a new thread and I see TheDoc was owning the thread nice actually reading some intelligent opinions in here.

@TheDoc have you a list of podcast you listen to?

Would any kind soul link me the Andy Mitten interview please.

I'd run through brick walls for Louis after the last 2 days and I'm expecting the players to burst thier balls on saturday.

Happy Christmas Fúckers :D

Owning is an excessive descriptive. I don't think I was having debates and was just thinking outload. Van Gaal won me back yesterday. Really want him to turn it around and succeed. But I'd definitly gone the other side after Norwich and I fully understand the pressure is on for him. (and why)

The general pods I listen to throughout the week are

Guardians Football Weekly and Football Weekly Extra (Monday + Thursday)
    Sunday Supplement (Airs on Sky Sunday morning but I listen to pod on Monday)
    Football Fives (Wednesday, done by Daniel Storey from F365, Ryan Keating from Opta, and two other regulars)
    Graham Hunters Big Interview( no set release date, hour long interviews with some big names in football, it's brilliant)

I then dip in through some other stuff depending on the topic at hand. Nothing really of the beating track I don't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think that's giving a lot of people far too much credit. There were those who were talking as if they assumed that the squad positions being vacated would be properly refilled, but there were also a hell of a lot of people just blithely praising LVG for "getting rid of dead wood" and "trimming the squad" and so on. It's still going on. It's an automatic and unthinking response to anybody pointing out how badly the manager messed up his squad building.

There was also portion of us who understood that Van Gaal likes to work with smaller squads and therefore had some expectation we would be working with smaller numbers.

That specific portion of the issue, has probably looked to be a big problem now alright and arguably an incorrect thing to do. I think Van Gaal underestimated the toles of the PL. Jose did it last year with Chelsea but away with it big time.

In terms of an actual big loss, Di Maria is the obvious one, that I think most can get over due to his attitude and how he didn't want to be here in the first place. Really could have been an entirely different story if he wasn't, is a class player,but as one friend likes to label him " a ****ing pussy"

my problem with the press conference yesterday is that is was bullish, but meaningless.

I think it did have a meaning, and its worked; he's managed to guilt people into not talking about his own shortcomings, instead creating discussions on the nature of football journalism, while at the same time making people feel sorry for him. Over on the subreddit, its crazy how militant people are getting about the coverage of the PC, especially in The Sun. It doesn't even matter, for instance, that The Sun just responded by outlining why they are discussing his job security, he's created a mentality that somehow the media are wrong for questioning a struggling manager.

In a way, I admire it, but it will all come crumbling down around him if we can't beat Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Happy Christmas. I hate each and every one of you c_nts.

;)

• Advertisement

I think it did have a meaning, and its worked; he's managed to guilt people into not talking about his own shortcomings, instead creating discussions on the nature of football journalism, while at the same time making people feel sorry for him. Over on the subreddit, its crazy how militant people are getting about the coverage of the PC, especially in The Sun. It doesn't even matter, for instance, that The Sun just responded by outlining why they are discussing his job security, he's created a mentality that somehow the media are wrong for questioning a struggling manager.

In a way, I admire it, but it will all come crumbling down around him if we can't beat Stoke.

I don't actually believe any of this. It matters a lot that the papers now actively start pointing that United are performing rubbish and that the results are crap. Nobody is debating the medias role, they already know what the media is like, what they are now talking about is an under pressure Van Gaal.

I find the reactions in here strange, the rest of the football world is breaking their balls laughing at that press conference, the media lapped it up and will run it into the ground, but in here people happily claim it was great and everything is going to be alright. There is a real disconnect there.

I find the reactions in here strange, the rest of the football world is breaking their balls laughing at that press conference, the media lapped it up and will run it into the ground, but in here people happily claim it was great and everything is going to be alright. There is a real disconnect there.

Reddit is the same. I agree with the idea it was a bad move, but try saying that on Reddit and you'll be downvoted into oblivion :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

RVP is finished, getting rid was the correct decision.

Nani is Nani. World beater on his day but ultimately extremely frustrating. Getting rid was the correct decision.

Hernandez is doing very well in Germany but I never fancied the lad starting. Would have been a great option off the bench if he was kept. I think it was the correct decision to get rid - his general play isn't good enough. If there had of been an extra attacker purchased I don't think we would have missed him.

LVG has done a decent job IMO. We were excellent in the big games last season. I think his big mistake was trusting Rooney this season, the man has been a disaster. He has looked below par the last couple of seasons but he looks absolutely shot now. I think he is finished. The years of neglect in the summer towards his fitness is finally paying off. I hope we can turn it around under LVG as it would be very sad for him to get sacked in his last job before retirement. I think his days are numbered though and I would love Jose to come in. I think he would win a title with us or at the very least be very close.

Nothing wrong with his press conference either IMO. He did the right thing. **** the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Reddit is the same. I agree with the idea it was a bad move, but try saying that on Reddit and you'll be downvoted into oblivion :/

We need a "no thanks" button on here hmmm.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Owning is an excessive descriptive. I don't think I was having debates and was just thinking outload. Van Gaal won me back yesterday. Really want him to turn it around and succeed. But I'd definitly gone the other side after Norwich and I fully understand the pressure is on for him. (and why)

The general pods I listen to throughout the week are

Guardians Football Weekly and Football Weekly Extra (Monday + Thursday)
    Sunday Supplement (Airs on Sky Sunday morning but I listen to pod on Monday)
    Football Fives (Wednesday, done by Daniel Storey from F365, Ryan Keating from Opta, and two other regulars)
    Graham Hunters Big Interview( no set release date, hour long interviews with some big names in football, it's brilliant)

I then dip in through some other stuff depending on the topic at hand. Nothing really of the beating track I don't think

Well whatever we call it, I certainly found it insightfull I've a lot of distain for the media and how they operate.

Thanks very much for them, I never listen to much of anything bar newstalk now and again but looking to change that in the new year.

Happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've heard more opposition fans agree with what he did in the PC than laugh at it. A few mates I expected to rip him apart said he was dead right. Even a few lads on here I would have expected to put the boot in were the same.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I'm not seeing all these people laughing their arses off at him.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    There was also portion of us who understood that Van Gaal likes to work with smaller squads and therefore had some expectation we would be working with smaller numbers.

That specific portion of the issue, has probably looked to be a big problem now alright and arguably an incorrect thing to do. I think Van Gaal underestimated the toles of the PL. Jose did it last year with Chelsea but away with it big time.

The difference wasn't that you understood Van Gaal's justification, it was no secret and it was easy to understand. The difference was that you accepted it and thought it was sensible. Those of us who doubted that it was a good idea are being proven correct.

Wake up to losts of posts and a new thread and I see TheDoc was owning the thread nice actually reading some intelligent opinions in here

W7L5i.gif

I don't actually believe any of this. It matters a lot that the papers now actively start pointing that United are performing rubbish and that the results are crap. Nobody is debating the medias role, they already know what the media is like, what they are now talking about is an under pressure Van Gaal.

The rest of the world aren't remotely as important as the United fans, team and board. That type of bombast might well have helped him get a bit more patience from the fans. It's certainly gone down well in here.

I'm not saying that the press conference was a great move - I doubt there are any good moves for dealing with the press when you are getting shít performances and results - but if it helps get some more fans on his side then it will have been a fine outcome. If it also causes opposition fans to mock him then nothing of significance will have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    W7L5i.gif

What is this, a GIF for ants?

I find it bizzare that some people had enough of Van Gaal after the Norwich result and are now back on board because of a press conference.

Talk is cheap. Anyone can talk the talk but they need to walk the walk.

The naysayers have been accused by some of being fickle fans yet I cant think of anything more fickle than deciding it was time the manager went because of the results and performances and then change your mind a few days later, with no football played, because of a press conference, where it is perceived he gave it to the press.

• Advertisement

W7L5i.gif

Well said Maximus

Adox WTF like....

W7L5i.gif

She definitely wouldn't make the five a side team ;)

The rest of the world aren't remotely as important as the United fans, team and board. That type of bombast might well have helped him get a bit more patience from the fans. It's certainly gone down well in here.

I'm not saying that the press conference was a great move - I doubt there are any good moves for dealing with the press when you are getting shít performances and results - but if it helps get some more fans on his side then it will have been a fine outcome. If it also causes opposition fans to mock him then nothing of significance will have changed.

I don't are about opposition fans either, but what about the silent majority who didn't even watch the full press conference but will see those headlines and be led accordingly?

Even if you think it totally irrelevant what effect the media can have, why give them the ammo anyway?

........ Those of us who doubted that it was a good idea are being proven correct.

+1

Happy Christmas lads

I don't are about opposition fans either, but what about the silent majority who didn't even watch the full press conference but will see those headlines and be led accordingly?

Even if you think it totally irrelevant what effect the media can have, why give them the ammo anyway?

Yeah it's true, I don't know which way this might push the majority of the easily led fans - whether they'd be likely to think LVG was justified and want to support him against the vid bad press or whether they're likely to just swallow how the press reports it.

With regards to giving the media ammo, I think he has just changed the nature of their ammo. They already had more than enough to shoot at him, now they're using this new stuff that he chose. Whether that is a good or bad thing, as I say, I can't figure out.

W7L5i.gif

Ya I did think after I may have come across a little harsh in the way I worded my post.

Then you go and post that and my fears are allayed.

I see the professor must have also taken umbrage to my post too as he was quick to the thanks button. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't understand the arrogance in his presser yesterday. The man has done nothing in English football to warrant such. He's the one who's delivered this pathetic football and then throws the toys out of the pram when he called up on it, wtf like.

Anyway hopefully it's the beginning of the end for Louis.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Can't understand the arrogance in his presser yesterday. The man has done nothing in English football to warrant such. He's the one who's delivered this pathetic football and then throws the toys out of the pram when he called up on it, wtf like.

Anyway hopefully it's the beginning of the end for Louis.

When was he called up on the football he has played by the press?

He was talking about the speculation on his job and how he always gets misquoted in the press to suit whatever agendas they have.

Its funny people can watch the press conderence and miss the main points

Ya I did think after I may have come across a little harsh in the way I worded my post.

Then you go and post that and my fears are allayed.

I see the professor must have also taken umbrage to my post too as he was quick to the thanks button. :pac:

Of course I took umbrage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement