Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wiz569 wrote: »
    I was married with two kids at that stage :(

Hello Al Bundy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Tell you what lads, you're doing a fair job of making me feel young. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was still a teenager...was it live on Sky or was it just live on 5live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It was incredible at the time, utd suspended him on the spot. Effectively giving away the premiership title that year if I remember correctly. Was that the year final game Upton Park ? Seeing the way Utd handled it and then seeing the way Liverpool handled both Suarez incidents always rankled a bit. Loved throwing into an argument to stir it up. The team from 94-96 was my favourite utd group I think. Probably underachieved in Europe but jaysus they had guts and character by the bucket load. Some serious footballers who could roll up their sleeves and you know they'd go toe to toe with anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Headshot wrote: »
    Hello Al Bundy

My wife asking me why did I spit my tea across the room.

It was incredible at the time, utd suspended him on the spot. Effectively giving away the premiership title that year if I remember correctly. Was that the year final game Upton Park ? Seeing the way Utd handled it and then seeing the way Liverpool handled both Suarez incidents always rankled a bit. Loved throwing into an argument to stir it up. The team from 94-96 was my favourite utd group I think. Probably underachieved in Europe but jaysus they had guts and character by the bucket load. Some serious footballers who could roll up their sleeves and you know they'd go toe to toe with anyone

Didn't scholes come into team and play up top more or less with Hughes got a few goals iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was still a teenager...was it live on Sky or was it just live on 5live?

I don't remember. I know us kids has seen the incident the next morning. It was pre-internet days so I don't know if we'd been watching the match, or if it was shown on the news, or if we just saw photos in the paper and then highlights later and they've just melded in my memory.

• SSN reporting Woodward had discussions with senior players today...

jayo26 wrote: »
    Didn't scholes come into team and play up top more or less with Hughes got a few goals iirc.

Started out as a striker if I remember right. Was a couple of seasons before he was moved into the middle. Keane was right back the early stages if I remember right too 😨 Mclair, Ince and Robson were the midfield then. Ince was brilliant for a few years around that time. Probably would have been talked about more fondly had he not transferred to Liverpool. Kanchelskis was class on the wings too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It wasn't live.

I remember hearing about it on the news then tuning into BBC 1 with the oul lad to catch the match highlights.

I'd never seen anything as bonkers before and it cemented Cantona as a legend in my mind.

I also remember his comeback game too, scored the equaliser against the Scouse from the penalty spot.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

That was an amazing time to be a United fan. As you say, so many fantastic characters in that team...tough as nails and plenty of skill and passion to go with it. Was there a more thrilling sight at the time than Kanchelskis bombing down the wing as defenders were left gasping behind him.
    Cantona, Giggs, Keane, Hughes, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Irwin, Schmeichel...I'm actually laughing at how ridiculously talented that team was!

I'm another one who was listening to Five Live and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was brutal to lose Eric for the rest of the season, no question it cost us the title.

There was a great book which came out soon after from much-respected United writer Richard Kurt, called 'As The Reds Go Marching On'. It was basically a match by match diary of the season and the ups and downs that went with it all the way to that agonising final day at Upton Park. For anyone looking for a real trip down memory lane it's well worth picking a copy up.

As for the current situation? What a disgraceful mess. Sooner he's gone the better. After that I don't care who comes in, it will be an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    SSN reporting Woodward had discussions with senior players today...

Saw that alright. Probably seeing if any of them would be interested in getting adidas tattoos on their foreheads. Seriously though, you'd have to wonder what is going on at the club. It's only a matter of time before the appalling football and poor results start directly affecting revenue. I'm sure most of our sponsors have clauses in the deals stipulating that they pay us less if we don't get champions league football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I was 8 when that Palace fan got in the way of Cantona's godly boot. Remember attempting it in the school yard the next day, was made to write lines by Mrs. Ivers (zero craic out of her).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

73336e534549df6d78635f8ba6275a47.jpg

Quandary wrote: »
    Saw that alright. Probably seeing if any of them would be interested in getting adidas tattoos on their foreheads. Seriously though, you'd have to wonder what is going on at the club. It's only a matter of time before the appalling football and poor results start directly affecting revenue. I'm sure most of our sponsors have clauses in the deals stipulating that they pay us less if we don't get champions league football.

I had CNN on earlier while world sport was on. They were talking about the rumours that Adidas are going to end their sponsorship early with the IAAF over cheating in athletics.
    They mentioned that Adidas seem to want to get actively involved in the sports they sponsor, and mentioned how the head of Adidas was not happy with the style of football that United are playing.

Started out as a striker if I remember right. Was a couple of seasons before he was moved into the middle. Keane was right back the early stages if I remember right too 😨 Mclair, Ince and Robson were the midfield then. Ince was brilliant for a few years around that time. Probably would have been talked about more fondly had he not transferred to Liverpool. Kanchelskis was class on the wings too

Loved Ince but he was at his best with united he never looked same with inter or pool. I loved playing Westham with Ince in the side you were always guaranteed fireworks.

Couldn't stand the Guvner crap with Ince, when Keane was the true governor on the pitch.

Couldn't stand the Guvner crap with Ince, when Keane was the true governor on the pitch.

Dont jump on me but I actually dont think Keane stood out as much until Ince left, I didn't like the guvnor8 number plates and all on his car either but he was a boss in midfield.

• Advertisement

• RobertKK wrote: »
    I had CNN on earlier while world sport was on. They were talking about the rumours that Adidas are going to end their sponsorship early with the IAAF over cheating in athletics.
    They mentioned that Adidas seem to want to get actively involved in the sports they sponsor, and mentioned how the head of Adidas was not happy with the style of football that United are playing.
    Well that's certainly going to put pressure on Woodward

I remember Ince being pictured with the jersey on and then there was a hitch in the transfer. Took a it of time to sort it out before the transfer went through but the West Ham fans never forgave him for it. Gave him loads every game he played after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ince was a huge player in this time at Utd and always seems a little undervalued by a lot of Utd supporters.

God help us all if the senior players have to tell the board how to do their job properly. It's probably true :(

adox wrote: »
    Ince was a huge player in this time at Utd and always seems a little undervalued by a lot of Utd supporters.

Was an incredible player in and around that time. Playing for Liverpool took the gloss off him with me anyway. Remember him scoring the equaliser for Liverpool in the 2-2 draw against Utd in the league and celebrating like he'd denied Utd from winning the league on his own certainly didn't do himself any favours. Irwin got sent off in that game I think by David Ellary and was suspended for the FA cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Feels like Ed is trying to distance himself now from LvG with this stuff, as in he's trying to say to the fans "look I'm not happy about things either - and I'm trying to do something". It should've been very easy to do this without leaking to the press if his intention was otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »

maybe, but his actions after he left the club were disgraceful.

get the impression also by the way fergie f*cked him out, that to put it mildly, he wasnt a nice person.

get the impression also by the way fergie f*cked him out, that to put it mildly, he wasnt a nice person.

This is why I try to ignore players off the pitch because by and large if we didn't we wouodnt have many favourite players.

I'm not saying that to have a dig at you but it takes a certain type of person to be successful on the pitch, Keane was the same a legend on the pitch but could be downright nasty woth his comments as was Ferguson a legend of a manager but some of the stuff he said about players of rival clubs and stuff afterwards was uncalled for.

They have to be cocky or think they are above others or be a bit nasty to have that competitive streak its what made them great.

He's still a legend for the club for what he gave to it, no matter what followed.
    Just like Schmeichel.

Fergie ****ing someone out doesn't automatically mean he wasn't a nice person and I'm sure Fergie would never let that rule his decision to keep someone or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David Mays first goal for United is 21 years old today so too.

A simple story, but next day in school, few of us were out back, playing soccer. The messer of the class had horrendous fake United jersey with Cantona on back. Hence he pretends to get sent off, and uses a tree out back to Kung fu, only for the Principal, a Christian Brother, to see it all. He got few smacks all way back into school. At time we were petrified, but looking back one funniest things I remember from school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I thought today was going to be the day for LvG to leave. Disappointing. Feels now like he'll hang around until the Summer. Given that I don't think top 4 is realistic. 4 more months of turgid football it is then...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I thought today was going to be the day for LvG to leave. Disappointing. Feels now like he'll hang around until the Summer. Given that I don't think top 4 is realistic. 4 more months of turgid football it is then...

Id give it until tomorrow morning before id say that, if he was due to go home for. His daughters birthday they not gonna have the talk with him today so if anything is gonna happen it will be tomorrow before training if woodward gonna push him or after training if lvg is gonna jump himself after talking to players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I remember as a kid dying to see United play team of stars and as father Ted was saying tough as nails.. Any United fan who doesn't remember that 94 team onwards you dunno what you missed fantastic team and a pleasure to watch..

Terrible seeing the rot that lvg has brought to our great club..

Jose should have gotten the job not moves and tbh lvg is an old man now his philosophy is ****e talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I remember as a kid dying to see United play team of stars and as father Ted was saying tough as nails.. Any United fan who doesn't remember that 94 team onwards you dunno what you missed fantastic team and a pleasure to watch..

Jose should have gotten the job not moves and tbh lvg is an old man now his philosophy is ****e talk

Jose plays dull robotic football and look at the heights he took chelsea to this year

I reckon pep inherited gold at barca and gold at bayern he is untested and if he can't buy success or get players to the Pl then he will fail in premiership..

Mourinho is the real deal proven in all aspects we would be mad not to sign him up

For all of you calling for pep your wrong imo he is not the best management option for our club

magnumbud wrote: »
    Jose plays dull robotic football and look at the heights he took chelsea to this year

The team revolted cos he sacked that one hazard was apparently giving the pork sword to...

Not his fault he is a savage manager and holistic game works I have seen his teams play boring and exciting he is what this club needs he has the tools needed

Imagine what he could do without uncle roman sticking his beak in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I was 8 when that Palace fan got in the way of Cantona's godly boot. Remember attempting it in the school yard the next day, was made to write lines by Mrs. Ivers (zero craic out of her).

I would have been seven (maths?).

Surprised to hear it wasn't live. Have vivid memories of it and could have swore it was on TV. My Grandad had sky before our family, me and my dad and my cousin and uncle would all be in the house watching all the live matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

TheDoc wrote: »

Surprised to hear it wasn't televised . Have vivid memories of it and could have swore it was on TV. My Grandad had sky before our family, me and my dad and his cousin and uncle would all be in the house watching all the live matches.

Definitely wasn't live. I listened live on the radio. Myself & brother agreeing the commentators were exaggerating for excitements sake. Then we watched MOTD later on. Good God��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Do some posters in here think united should be already in talks with Pep/Jose/other, while LVG is still manager ?

If yes, I'd suggest United would have a bit more class than that

If no, then that means there must be an interim manager while the week the next man, so Giggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

TheDoc wrote: »

Surprised to hear it wasn't live. Have vivid memories of it and could have swore it was on TV. My Grandad had sky before our family, me and my dad and my cousin and uncle would all be in the house watching all the live matches.

Convinced I watched that game live on Sky too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It freaks me how many people just seem to focus on the last 6 months of his career and utterly ignore the rest of it in a bid to diss Jose. Thats both in terms of the football he plays and what he did with Chelsea in the league.

I remember Ince being pictured with the jersey on and then there was a hitch in the transfer. Took a it of time to sort it out before the transfer went through but the West Ham fans never forgave him for it. Gave him loads every game he played after that.

And booed his son about 20 years later !!

Do some posters in here think united should be already in talks with Pep/Jose/other, while LVG is still manager ?

If no, then that means there must be an interim manager while the week the next man, so Giggs

United should be, it is not about class, it is about being run properly and organised.

Look at Bayern, they had Ancelotti ready if Pep wasn't staying.

United should be, it is not about class, it is about being run properly and organised.

Look at Bayern, they had Ancelotti ready if Pep wasn't staying.

I thought Pep just informed Bayern of his decision , before he told the media

It would be naive in the extreme by the club, if they were considering removing Van Gaal from his position, to not enquire about replacements beforehand.

I would call it negligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've never understood this specious argument regarding Mourinho.

Yes he ****ed up his last stint at Chelsea (while still winning a title remember), but why does that period mean he is now tainted property? No manager has 100% success rate, every top manager at some point will have a rough patch and getting sacked from one job has never been evidence that the manager could not succeed elsewhere.

He has won trophy after trophy at every club he has managed but a crap year at Chelsea means he would now be a failure at United, the logic simply doesn't follow. Good managers, even great managers sometimes get sacked, its part of the game.

Of course, if your logic had been followed we would never have appointed the multiple sackee Louis Van Gaal, so perhaps there is merit in the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I think tomorrow will be d-day.

He will leave by mutual consent and Giggsy will be installed as caretaker manager for the cup game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think tomorrow will be d-day.

He will leave by mutual consent and Giggsy will be installed as caretaker manager for the cup game.

Hope so. Am hoping the delay was he already had the day booked off and that they decided to let him return before they sack him, and that we want negotiations with Jose underway before we make it official.

I hope. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What has his age got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

Andy Mitten:
    United had a clear plan that Ryan Giggs would take over from Van Gaal, ideally after three years, with a youthful team of fine players in place. Such a situation now seems implausible. There's talk of the Dutchman stepping down, but that's news to those who know him best. Or is he waiting to be sacked to get a better pay-off?
    Only last week, the manager was active in United's transfer policy and vetoed a move for one player who wanted to join the club. Van Gaal also talked like a man with a long-term plan for developing structures that can be built on for young players within the club.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2793981/manchester-united-fans-have-had-enough-of-louis-van-gaal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement