Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hope so. Am hoping the delay was he already had the day booked off and that they decided to let him return before they sack him, and that we want negotiations with Jose underway before we make it official.

I hope. Please.

I find it hard to see unfortunately.

Its far to quiet in the media for my liking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

IMO Andy Mitten's articles have been extremely poor for a long time now.

For me, he's just another irrelevant wannabe ITK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Pro. F wrote: »
    What has his age got to do with anything?

It's funny because people have short memories and said Fergie lost his marbles in his last few seasons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Blatter wrote: »
    IMO Andy Mitten's articles have been extremely poor for a long time now.

For me, he's just another irrelevant wannabe ITK.

He was saying he never heard anything about the two matches for LVG to save his job, which was proven correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »

So Van Gaal's crappiness might inadvertently save us from Giggs? I choose to believe that Van Gaal sabotaged the team to save us from Giggs. Short term loss for long term gain.

He's like Batman at the end of The Dark Knight. He needs to portrayed as the baddie but he's a hero really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What has his age got to do with anything?
    I reckon his ideas are old and with regards football management he is past it.. I don't mean his age I mean lvg ideas are old and past it

I think tomorrow will be d-day.

He will leave by mutual consent and Giggsy will be installed as caretaker manager for the cup game.

Nope, not a chance I don't think. He's here for a while yet.

He was saying he never heard anything about the two matches for LVG to save his job, which was proven correct.

I never heard anything either.

Looks like we were both correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'll take a punt on lvg still been in the job this time next week if im right that dont make me anymore credible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I've never understood this specious argument regarding Mourinho.

Yes he ****ed up his last stint at Chelsea (while still winning a title remember), but why does that period mean he is now tainted property? No manager has 100% success rate, every top manager at some point will have a rough patch and getting sacked from one job has never been evidence that the manager could not succeed elsewhere.

He has won trophy after trophy at every club he has managed but a crap year at Chelsea means he would now be a failure at United, the logic simply doesn't follow. Good managers, even great managers sometimes get sacked, its part of the game.

Of course, if your logic had been followed we would never have appointed the multiple sackee Louis Van Gaal, so perhaps there is merit in the theory.

Mourinho has fallen foul of two player revolts at his last two clubs, imo. Whether that is all his doing or not, it's hard to say. That **** happens though, happened to Clough at Leeds before he created his best ever team.

Mourinho is still a top tier manager capable of greatness and the climate at United right now is one that would be amenable to a manager like him. We'd be crazy to not go he'll for leather for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I reckon his ideas are old and with regards football management he is past it.. I don't mean his age I mean lvg ideas are old and past it

Older people are generally more stubborn or so they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mourinho has fallen foul of two player revolts at his last two clubs, imo.

And one of those clubs was Real Madrid, who are already on their 3rd manager since Mourinho left 2.5 years ago. That club is nasty and I find it hard judge any manager for what happens in their time there.

Its easy to forget but before Madrid and whatever the hell happened behind the scenes at Chelsea, one of Mourinhos USP's was his man management and the fact that he got players playing out of their skins for him. Remember the video of the Inter Milan player crying and hugging Jose after it was announced he was leaving?

Mourinho has a history of getting players on board with his vision, that he has had a rough patch lately does not necessarily mean he won't recreate his successes in the future.

Of course the interesting thing and something that shouldn't be forgotten is that for all the player revolts, Mourinho won titles at both those clubs. League titles. United would do well to recognise that dynasty be damned, they need a title shot and they need it bad, this club is currently on the precipice of a Liverpool style drought. Taking a risk on a Giggs instead of a Mourinho would be an utter dereliction of duty with that in mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lot of places running with the story that LVG offered to resign again on Sunday but Woodward talked him out of it. Jamie Jackson saying Woody asked him to speak about it with his family and there is a meeting to discuss it again tomorrow.

For whatever reason, Woody very obviously does not want Jose :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You said he was an old man and now you thank Nalz's post saying that old people are more stubborn. Seems like you do think his age is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

One of the worst football journalists around. I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that man writes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lot of places running with the story that LVG offered to resign again on Sunday but Woodward talked him out of it. Jamie Jackson saying Woody asked him to speak about it with his family and there is a meeting to discuss it again tomorrow.

For whatever reason, Woody very obviously does not want Jose :/

It is Woody's appointment, it will look quite bad for him if LVG goes.

Granted its even looking worse now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Fails the logic test tbh

"Oh **** it looks like I done ****ed up by appointing Louis and hailing him as a genius, I know! the best way out of this is to let the situation continue rather then take decisive action!" Success!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Wouldn't give these stories any credibility tbh, who would have the knowledge of the situation to leak it, either Woody, LVG himself or one of LVG's trusted back room staff. Its an easy enough story to write as he had planned to have 2 days with his family, so that becomes he was asked to talk it over with his family.

Edit: Didn't really want to click into that article but glad i did, they are using the Vine of Fergie talking in the stands and saying "did fergie call time on van gals Old trafford career" what a retarded piece of journalism. Oh and there is no way he said "He's Gone", no way, not a hope, I'm absolutely certain of that.

Headshot wrote: »
    It is Woody's appointment, it will look quite bad for him if LVG goes.

Granted its even looking worse now

How do you know that LVG was Woody's appointment?

The seeming lack of interest in Mourinho could just be that Bobby Charlton's opinion is being respected by the club. I'd be happy if that was the case.

• Advertisement

You said he was an old man and now you thank Nalz's post saying that old people are more stubborn. Seems like you do think his age is an issue.

Jesus do you go picking arguments with everyone here? What does it matter to you?

I thanked his post so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Jesus do you go picking arguments with everyone here? What does it matter to you?

Would you rather an echo chamber where everyone agreed with everything you said? Sounds boring tbh.

I think your comments about Van Gaal's age are churlish. He's 64 ffs, it's a non issue. When people act like anybody past their 50s is at a mental deficit that annoys me, so I challenged it.

If you want to express your opinions without them being discussed then you should start a blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If LVG has offered to step down then it really should be excepted.If he realises his methods arent working or he cant get the best from the squad then I dont see the point of getting him to stay.
    Once someone comes to a decision like that it probably best to part ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Are there any decent man utd fan podcasts about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You'd think he'd at least try and change things formation and tactics wise before offering to resign. If he's starting to acknowledge his methods are not working and is considering giving up, then he has little to lose by at least trying to play actual football for what little is left of his United and managerial career.

This one can be pretty decent I think.

http://redcastpod.podomatic.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

glued wrote: »
    One of the worst football journalists around. I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that man writes.

The Sun is a complete and utter rag, so I'd would pay no attention to them.

A Good few others have it too though. Seems to be some sort of showdown tomorrow which is Shi* or get off the pot time.

I think your comments about Van Gaal's age are churlish. He's 64 ffs, it's a non issue. When people act like anybody past their 50s is at a mental deficit that annoys me, so I challenged it.

If you want to express your opinions without them being discussed then you should start a blog.

I meant his tactics and philosophy are old and past it... I stated that and you came back looking for something to stir it.

I'll do what I want pro f good lad... Considering we have to read your daily arguing here and a lot of the time it seems like arguing not debate. Hop off that high horse.

Now if you have an issue with what I say you have three options

Pm me
    Block me

Your choice

BTW no offence meant but I have more important things to do than spend my night off arguing on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I like United We Stand and Red Rants. Both are quite good, but from different perspectives.

UWS is with the guys who sell the fanzine, so here you hear from people who actually go to the games, home and away.

Red Rants is two guys, Paul and Ed, talking about the matches and the club in general. Ed is the guy who has the website unitedrant.co.uk, which you might know.

I would recommend that you give these a listen to see if you like them.

I remain positive that lvg will be sacked this week he is hurting club image now with that tripe football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

United Rantcast is excellent. It's one of the best football podcasts imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Have a feeling an announcement will be made that he has stepped down sometime in the morning or early afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I would imagine Van Gaal to be an honourable man and offered his resignation because he saw it as the decent thing to do.
    Now, I don't normally do conjecture, but this is how I see it..... LVG spoke to Woodward and offered his resignation. Woodward told him to think it over while he's in Holland for the weekend and meanwhile Woodward would speak to the players to get their opinions.
    The two will meet again today and a decision made.
    If he leaves, I hope its with head held high. Great manager, but it hasn't worked here. All he can do is give it his best shot and pray. Like every other manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would imagine Van Gaal to be an honourable man and offered his resignation because he saw it as the decent thing to do.
    Now, I don't normally do conjecture, but this is how I see it..... LVG spoke to Woodward and offered his resignation. Woodward told him to think it over while he's in Holland for the weekend and meanwhile Woodward would speak to the players to get their opinions.The two will meet again today and a decision made. If he leaves, I hope its with head held high. Great manager, but it hasn't worked here. All he can do is give it his best shot and pray. Like every other manager.

I'm with you until the bolded bit. Anybody with even a little knowledge of psychology and corporate structure knows you don't ask employees questions about their bosses performance without completely undermining him. If it ever gets to that stage, you have already decided to sack him because after those sort of questions, his job becomes untenable.

If he actually did canvass the players, there is no chance he asked LVG to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You'd think he'd at least try and change things formation and tactics wise before offering to resign.
    He has changed players, formations and tactics plenty of times. Unfortunately the problems run much deeper than just shuffling players around on the tactics board, which is another reason Giggs should not be an option as a replacement.
    Now, I don't normally do conjecture, but this is how I see it..... LVG spoke to Woodward and offered his resignation. Woodward told him to think it over while he's in Holland for the weekend and meanwhile Woodward would speak to the players to get their opinions.

If true I would find that very worrying, I would expect a competent CEO to be a lot more decisive than that. Its been clear for a long long time that Van Gaal isn't cutting it, so what the hell does Woodward need to speak to the players about? We have been in crisis for months does he not already have an opinion on the matter? Its his call, he needs to stop dithering and make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm with you until the bolded bit. .

Ya I would agree with you both also. Hopefully the right decision is made today anyway.

Somehow though as I've thought all along that he ain't going anywhere quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Porto he moved on to pastures new after bringing them to the top of Europe.

Chelsea, instant success but in a circus environment with a billionaire Russian pulling the strings.

Inter, won everything he could possibly win with them and moved on.

Madrid, absolute circus and that he lasted as long as he did says more for him than it being a shortish tenure.

Chelsea, yes the whole Eva thing was very distasteful and at any club the results they had would have likely ment he got his marching orders but its still Romans toy.

I'm by no means saying it would definitely be any different if he did go to United but people cannot say with absolute certainty that it wouldn't be different.

He covets the United job and I feel that if he was given it that he would do everything he could to stay there.

Things seem to have got worse the last 4 or 5 years though, the eye gouging, comments about Wenger, Pelegrini etc.

Put it this way, he isn't going to change so I can see why the board have significant doubts.

He's great when things are going for him but the nasty side comes out eventually because it's innate.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/691888428225552385

De Telegraaf: LVG back in England, meeting today, crucial hours at Man United. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/de-telegraaf-crucial-lvg-hours-meeting-being-held-at-man-united-o …

They don't claim to know what the outcome is.
    De Telegraaf explain that these are crucial hours for Van Gaal and his Manchester United future, with the manager set to have a meeting with the club today. The Dutch newspaper say that, at the time of writing, they were unaware of what time the meeting was and they don't profess to already know the outcome.
    It's explained that whilst Edward Woodward is still confident in Van Gaal, the situation is becoming increasingly pressured because of results, atmosphere, and the clamour of the British media for a change to be made quickly.

Hopefully today we put an end to this, it is not going to get any better by keeping LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The talk seems to be that he doesn't want to sack LVG now because of the turmoil it would create mid-season (yep, things are going great now!).

The obvious conclusion from this is that Mourinho isn't in contention for the job. If he was, it would be very smart to get him in now.

1. New manager bump - we might get it and help with results over the next few games.
    2. Mourinho may improve the current situation.
    3. While this window is dead in the water now, giving Mourinho 5 months or so with the squad to decide who he wants to keep or sell, and work on the targets he decides on for the summer window - so unlike the Moyes and LVG starts, we might actually have a workable transfer plan before the summer starts.

• Advertisement

The talk seems to be that he doesn't want to sack LVG now because of the turmoil it would create mid-season (yep, things are going great now!).

The obvious conclusion from this is that Mourinho isn't in contention for the job. If he was, it would be very smart to get him in now.

1. New manager bump - we might get it and help with results over the next few games.
    2. Mourinho may improve the current situation.
    3. While this window is dead in the water now, giving Mourinho 5 months or so with the squad to decide who he wants to keep or sell, and work on the targets he decides on for the summer window - so unlike the Moyes and LVG starts, we might actually have a workable transfer plan before the summer starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I won't be holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I find it hard to believe Van Gaal offered to resign. Surely you resign or you don't. Why would a proud, high-achieving manager like him resign and what message would it send to the club. 'I'll go if you want me to because I'm not good enough'. Doesn't sound like a strong manager that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

K-9 wrote: »
    Things seem to have got worse the last 4 or 5 years though, the eye gouging, comments about Wenger, Pelegrini etc.

Put it this way, he isn't going to change so I can see why the board have significant doubts.

He's great when things are going for him but the nasty side comes out eventually because it's innate.

Perhaps you are right, the question is though, would the unsavoury elements matter (if he was to get the job and if he acted the maggot) if he brought success back to the club?

For me, probably not.

The man is a winner and that's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Perhaps you are right, the question is though, would the unsavoury elements matter (if he was to get the job and if he acted the maggot) if he brought success back to the club?

For me, probably not.

The man is a winner and that's good enough for me.

It would require another £300m investment before that could happen, then it'd all go sour and the cycle continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really hope Woodward grows a set and makes the decision that should have been made along time ago.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I find it hard to believe Van Gaal offered to resign. Surely you resign or you don't. Why would a proud, high-achieving manager like him resign and what message would it send to the club. 'I'll go if you want me to because I'm not good enough'. Doesn't sound like a strong manager that.

It is a strong manager that can see that things are not going to improve, when the team is not responding to his methods and know the team needs to change the manger for different ideas.
    Van Gaal can see he is not getting the response he is looking for, it is a strong person who can say they are the problem.
    We need Woodward to be strong now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

I see a mutual consent in the near future

BBC saying no offer to resign was made at the weekend and that Woodward is in London on club business.

And so United limp onwards towards abject mediocrity. slow clap for the "leadership" at United. Bet adidas and chevrolet can't wait to be paying fortunes to a mid-table PL side, not competing in europe, next season.

BBC saying no offer to resign was made at the weekend and that Woodward is in London on club business.

And so United limp onwards towards abject mediocrity. slow clap for the "leadership" at United. Bet adidas and chevrolet can't wait to be paying fortunes to a mid-table PL side, not competing in europe, next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement