Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

internal politics is the problem here and a lack of balls from Woodward. here is how i see it -

Woodward doesnt want Giggs as this is giving power back to Fergie and his" boys". or he just doesnt think Giggs is the right man, he would be correct on that.

the rest of them are opposed to Jose. nobody else is available.

the end result, is 3 months of dithering and s*ite results or "turmoil" as its being called and Woodward basically not having the balls to make a decision.

BBC saying no offer to resign was made at the weekend and that Woodward is in London on club business.

so going off how reliable they normally are, LVG is going nowhere.

and he wont be going anywhere, until the club financially takes a hit. it really is disgraceful at this stage, how the club is being run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so going off how reliable they normally are, LVG is going nowhere.

and he wont be going anywhere, until the club financially takes a hit. it really is disgraceful at this stage, how the club is being run.

Think it is Nurse this report is coming from and as far as I know he has no inside sources at United - he simply asks them for official comment and presents it. So United making it their official position that LVG didn't offer to resign is not surprising, thus nor is Nurse reporting it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/691888428225552385

De Telegraaf: LVG back in England, meeting today, crucial hours at Man United.

De Telegraaf have been very good since LVG took over to the extent I reckon they have someone inside the club feeding them stories. So if they're saying there's a meeting today, then I think there probably is. Be interesting.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    De Telegraaf have been very good since LVG took over to the extent I reckon they have someone inside the club feeding them stories. So if they're saying there's a meeting today, then I think there probably is. Be interesting.

With De Telegraaf - the general feeling is that their info comes from LVGs camp directly, rather than anyone more club affiliated. they were the ones most on the ball with all LVG from before he was even hired.

at this stage, the press are completely toying with everybody. one reliable source says there is a meeting, another says Woodward is in London on commercial business.

sure, maybe once he gets us a new "official cat food provider" or has been briefed about the latest disney movie, he will get around to sorting out the football problems.....any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Feck sake.

Looks like we will have to adopt the mediocrity tag of we go again

Its actually quite sad to see the state of United now. There are no good excuses for it - just bumbling management at various levels.

There simply isn't another club in the world that would allow itself to remain in such a terrible position without action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

at the match on Saturday, shocking. van gaal needs to go asap. We are going no where with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Think it is Nurse this report is coming from and as far as I know he has no inside sources at United - he simply asks them for official comment and presents it. So United making it their official position that LVG didn't offer to resign is not surprising, thus nor is Nurse reporting it.

It's not Nurse, it's Simon Stone. I'd lend a lot more credence to what Stone says.

the redcafe poll on Jose as next manager, has only 53% supporting him which is surprising.

now a key factor is the poll was opened 6 weeks ago and majority of people would have voted in first day or two, so alot of lads would still have been supporting LVG back then and completely against notion of anybody coming in.

would love to add a poll here and gauge opinion...there definitely is some opposition to him, but im not sure how much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

the redcafe poll on Jose as next manager, has only 53% supporting him which is surprising.

now a key factor is the poll was opened 6 weeks ago and majority of people would have voted in first day or two, so alot of lads would still have been supporting LVG back then and completely against notion of anybody coming in.

would love to add a poll here and gauge opinion...there definitely is some opposition to him, but im not sure how much.

The % has been increasing over the last week or so. It was 50.2% before the weekend Not sure if it's a set poll or if people can change their votes. In fairness someone like Mourinho is always going to split fans. If or when he starts winning trophys that is when people will start to support him more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a man in LVG camp for so long,seeing all these statistics, about us, is really bringing home that this can't go on.

Only month/6weeks ago I felt it was best for him to stay till May and see where we were.

Now in Hindsight I was wrong, it's gone rock bottom. The team look like they don't use the Football in training or something, even against Liverpool while they were awful, we were just so slack and pedestrian.

We have still got a very good nucleus of players and only few short of being really good.

A squad with De Gea, Mata, Herrera, Morgan, Bastion, Martial, Rooney and Memphis should still be excellent options and envy of many clubs.

We need a new idea, vision and structure in place and I'm afraid say LVG time has come.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Here's a simple poll but maybe a mod should add one to the thread?

Poll Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I really don't get the negative view of Jose. At the end of the day he is a proven winner.

Do his teams play dull football, well on the whole yes, but I wouldn't call Barcelona at the height of Pep as exciting except for a few briefs splashes in a game.

In regards to his lack of class, seriously we idolise Cantona, a guy that attacked a fan in the crowd. We loved Keane, a guy that admitted to going out to injure fellow professionals. We love Rio, a guy that 'forgot' to give a drugs test. SAF wasn't exactly timid in getting his views across and plenty of times clearly tried to influenced the refs both before and during games.

This is a club that let the press now it was sacking Moyes before even having the class to tell him.

Wenger has loads of class, but only 2 FA cups in ten years.

We need to win, we need to start winning trophies soon. We cannot afford to wait around to see if Giggs has what it takes, to see if Pochitino has the cut for the top jobs. We took on LVG because he was the best available. Now Jose is available, and he is clearly the best of what left.

Will he need money to rebuild, well of course but then so will any manager as we have too many players simply not up to standard. Either they raise their level of we need to get better players. Jose has a history of getting the very best of out the players he has.

Its not even a question of whether we want Jose or not. Do we want to pass up the chance to get one of the best and allow him to go to one of our rivals (be in EPL or Europe) and take a chance on an unknown or do we go with a proven (in as much as any appointment is proven).

The next manager needs EPL and European experience. He needs to have experience of winning. He needs to have experience of big players and big expectations. He needs experience of dealing with pressure.

They should, IMO, have gone with Jose when SAF left. It would have driven Utd on to some additional trophies and can anybody say he would have left us in a worse state then we currently are in? We are in very real danger of become a 'history' club, and look at what that has done to Liverpool. You need to constantly win to keep up the legend, players don't care what you did 5 years ago.

One point that was made on NT last night, Utd are going to struggle to get top players if they don't have a clear strategy for the next few years. If you are Bale or whomever, are you really going to come to a club like Utd with LVG at best staying till end of next year? City will probably get Pep and have an investment plan for the next three years, we might have Giggs!

A really cannot see why Woodward is holding out on this. It is clear that LVG is not, and will not work. I would be really worried about the future of the club if Woodward is so slow to make a decision. He should have make it after Stoke, but bottled it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lukekul wrote: »
    Here's a simple poll but maybe a mod should add one to the thread?

Poll Here

My reluctance to add one would be down to the fact that we can't limit it to just United fans, so whatever results you get are going to be massively, massively skewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is there any point replacing him now if a replacement isn't ready? Would you give it to Giggs until season end?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

My reluctance to add one would be down to the fact that we can't limit it to just United fans, so whatever results you get are going to be massively, massively skewed.

True, hadn't thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

giggs until end of season with Fergie giving him a helping hand in the background

Is there any point replacing him now if a replacement isn't ready? Would you give it to Giggs until season end?

Mourinho is ready.

And yes, I'd give it to Giggs. LVG clearly doesn't think he can turn it around, so how can the players have faith in his methods?

LVG simply has to go, whomever the replacement is.

At least with either Giggs or Mourinho, there could be genuine hope for recovery. With LVG there is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bangkok wrote: »
    giggs until end of season with Fergie giving him a helping hand in the background

Jose is sitting there, and you think the best option is Giggs. Because he can run fast and played for us for years?

We are in the middle of a serious crisis, we are 5 points off CL place and on a terrible run of form.

The players have shown no abilities on the pitch. Basic mistakes, lack of any drive or skills, and Giggs is the coach. Depay is having a nightmare, a position that Giggs is supposed to know inside out and yet he failed to get anything out of him.

Januzai has been poor yet Giggs has been his coach for 2 years.

If we were tipping along nicely then yes, give Giggs a few months. But the house is burning down around you and you think the best course of action is the guy with a bucket rather than the fire brigade.

He might turn out to be great, he might not, but we simply do not know and it seems crazy and negligent in the extreme to roll the dice like that.

true that, though if you add public view on the results, it can help.

can guarantee you though, if you added a poll for LVG to stay or go, youd have every opposition fan in the land saying he should stay.

id hazard a guess now, that 95% plus of United fans want him gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'm sure I read somewhere that Giggs would be reluctant to take the position as an interim again. That it's either full time or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

astradave wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Giggs would be reluctant to take the position as an interim again. That it's either full time or not at all.

I read that too and don't blame him either. They either want him as manager or they don't (they clearly don't or he'd be in by now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd rather give the job to an inanimate carbon rod than Giggs, but considering the absolute state Van Gaal has made of things there is every point in replacing him now, not least because he is a dead man walking and the players know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »

If they are going down that route then give him til the end of the season and let him prove he deserves it.

He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the biggest job in world football and a guaranteed payoff it it doesn't work out for him.

I'd rather give the job to an inanimate carbon rod than Giggs, but considering the absolute state Van Gaal has made of things there is every point in replacing him now, not least because he is a dead man walking and the players know it.

Wonder if Ferguson is being talked into taking over for the remainder of the season

Top 3 posts over in another place

BBC LVG did not offer to resign, Woody in london

Guardian[Jamie Jackson] Ed Woodward persuaded Van Gaal to discuss his future with his family, Van Gaal to have meeting with the executive vice-chairman on Tuesday

Howard Nurse on Twitter: LVG is staying for now after offering to resign"

Nobody knows anything all throwing ****e in different directions hoping for a bullseye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

And what about an animated carbon rod?

Top 3 posts over in another place

BBC LVG did not offer to resign, Woody in london

Guardian[Jamie Jackson] Ed Woodward persuaded Van Gaal to discuss his future with his family, Van Gaal to have meeting with the executive vice-chairman on Tuesday

Howard Nurse on Twitter: LVG is staying for now after offering to resign"

Nobody knows anything all throwing ****e in different directions hoping for a bullseye

ya, id be swaying towards there being nothing happening and itys business as usual.

LVG taking training and planning for Friday, Woodward in London and no plans to sack him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Coat22 wrote: »
    Wonder if Ferguson is being talked into taking over for the remainder of the season

No matter what we can't go down that road, it doesn't do anybody any good to stay stuck in the past like that. Fergie is gone, he should stay gone.

This is all a crazy situation when viewed from the outside. We have a manager who has clearly and utterly failed at his job but we won't act upon it. We have one of the worlds most successful managers available and who wants the job but we won't take him, instead we talk about putting the intern in charge or bringing back the guy who retired 3 years ago. Its the very height of dsyfunctional to the point where you could only believe it as the script of a sitcom.

B0-80S0IgAAFuKe.png:large

we have as many tyre companies on board now as we do world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good old Epson Printers saved us in Summer by all accounts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Outta date that list, Nike our kit sponsor ?

No matter what we can't go down that road, it doesn't do anybody any good to stay stuck in the past like that. Fergie is gone, he should stay gone.

This is all a crazy situation when viewed from the outside. We have a manager who has clearly and utterly failed at his job but we won't act upon it. We have one of the worlds most successful managers available and who wants the job but we won't take him, instead we talk about putting the intern in charge or bringing back the guy who retired 3 years ago. Its the very height of dsyfunctional to the point where you could only believe it as the script of a sitcom.

I agree - not suggesting it - there's not a hope they'll go down that road as they've done it before with Busby and they won't want to be seeing as repeating the mistakes of the past.

Mourinhio obviously not in the picture so I think everyone should forget that one.

Outta date that list, Nike our kit sponsor ?

probably is, weve signed a couple of more since the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

B0-80S0IgAAFuKe.png:large

we have as many tyre companies on board now as we do world class players.

Who are the three world class players? I can only think of De Gea.

probably is, weve signed a couple of more since the summer.

Why do the number of sponsors bother you? If a company wants to throw money at United let them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I find it hard to believe Van Gaal offered to resign. Surely you resign or you don't. Why would a proud, high-achieving manager like him resign and what message would it send to the club. 'I'll go if you want me to because I'm not good enough'. Doesn't sound like a strong manager that.

I think it's very much possible, something he has said himself previously, something he has done previously. Whatever about his brashness to the press, you get the impression he is pretty honorable, and while he might not change his tactics or style, he's not oblivious to what is going on around him.

It appears to be accepted as "something that happened" that he handed in his resignation after the Norwich defeat which was rejected.

I think in some respects and situations a resignation can be utterly respectful. It takes an incredibly strong manager to resign and say "I'm not good enough" imo, instead of waiting to be sacked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

U3Fm8nz.jpg

Random thought of the day.

If Van Gaal does go, Giggs should be sent packing also. He has been part of the coaching and management staff of two highly unsuccessful reigns. Twice he has appeared to shy away and distance himself from a perceived sinking ship. While clearly not to blame for the past two managerial reigns, he has been part of them.

For most clubs, when a manager is sacked, his assistants and coaches go with him. While I appreciate the player has legendary status at the club, I don't think that's an excuse for him to be kept on.

Thoughts?

Random thought of the day.

If Van Gaal does go, Giggs should be sent packing also. He has been part of the coaching and management staff of two highly unsuccessful reigns. Twice he has appeared to shy away and distance himself from a perceived sinking ship. While clearly not to blame for the past two managerial reigns, he has been part of them.

For most clubs, when a manager is sacked, his assistants and coaches go with him. While I appreciate the player has legendary status at the club, I don't think that's an excuse for him to be kept on.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

A sign of the times. The club has a global noodle partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If we're here debating on whether the manager will do the right thing and not the decision makers in the club then we surely are on a slippy slope. Taking the last 2 months out of it he should have gone in Dec for substandard performances on the field. Players had noticeably given up on him and performances reflected that.

Board should have acted then. Would Barca, Madrid, Munich shur even Liverpool had the balls to make a decision themselves. We need to lose this thinking that there's another Ferguson out there cos there isn't. If this was Ferguson starting out now he'd never get the time he got back then. It's pretty much a 3 or 4 year term for most managers nowadays so accept this isn't working and make a decision. It's only making us more of a laughing stock.

Jose wouldn't be my favourite cos I just don't like his antics but if it has to be him then so be it. It's fairly apparent at this stage that the board would sooner lose every match from now till the end of the season rather than appoint Jose now. Whether that means there's an agreement in place for another man (Pep) to come in I don't know. I truly hope there is a plan though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If a manager offers to resign multiple times confidence in himself turning things around is gone. We are on a downward spiral, some kind of change is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd give it to Giggs, or Samuel Luckhust makes a good point for Warren Joyce, to be given the job until the end of the season. Realistically we're going nowhere with Van Gaal in charge right now anyways.

I'd give it to Giggs, or Samuel Luckhust makes a good point for Warren Joyce, to be given the job until the end of the season. Realistically we're going nowhere with Van Gaal in charge right now anyways.

But there is still a possibility to obtain CL football.

I'd fear that possibility will turn into nearly impossible, with Giggs in charge.

I guess it's very much **** or get of the pot for Woodward, if he fires Van Gaal, he needs to take Mourinho. If he doesn't fire Van Gaal, he needs to sort his **** out and get to the end of the season, securing CL football to then step aside.

Only way he sways the fans back is an outrageous run of form that wins the league, or goes close.

What's frustrating is that even that is still possible, such inconsistency with the elite clubs. Even a run of six straight wins, could change our fortunes drastically. That shouldn't be a big ask for a United squad or manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The only viable options being floated are leaving LVG in charge, putting Giggs in, or getting Mourinho. I don't want any of those. It's hard not to just fall into a state of abject misery.

My only option is to keep fleeing to 'Pep in the summer' fantasy land. Even though he has yet to prove that he can rebuild a failing team. It's all I've got. And it's not going to happen, is it? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

We're Man United, arguably one of the top 4 biggest football clubs in the world along with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

We should not be appointing a man who has zero managerial experience, or a reserve team coach whose only experience is at Hull and Royal Antwerp.

It's got to be Guardiola, Mourinho or Ancelotti. It's not co-incidence that the 3 outstanding managers in world football have one of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona on their CVs.

That's the standard of manager we should be after. Obviously Ancelotti is not available now. We've procrastinated so long that Guardiola is likely to go to our biggest rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Why does an interim manager automatically mean Giggs? Chelsea have brought in Benitez and Hiddink (twice) with the clear understanding that it would be short term.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement