Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What on earth are you even blathering about? Did you mean to quote somebody else? Where did I say there was a group that doesn't see the truth? I responded to various comments with comments of my own and don't recall talking to you at all, so what is your point here?

You were given plenty of counter arguments that show that the football side of the club is not being neglected and still comment after comment go on about how it is being neglected with no evidence other than the club is signing new sponsors. It's tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Canadel wrote: »
    Bastian? Has he been any better for Utd than Cambiasso (a free transfer) was for Leicester last season? Probably not.

Scwheinsteiger has been a lot better for United than Cambiasso was for Leicester and United have been a lot better than Leicester were last season when they had Cambiasso. So taken together, I would say that Schweinsteiger has been a much better signing than Cambiasso was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »
    You were given plenty of counter arguments that show that the football side of the club is not being neglected and still comment after comment go on about how it is being neglected with no evidence other than the club is signing new sponsors. It's tiresome.

You're absolutely full of it, I had 3 posts on the topic, all quoting and responding to other posters, before you came along with your non-sequitur smarmy jab. As usual you are arguing with what you think is happening than with what is actually being said, so jog on instead of lecturing about a conversation you weren't even involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Liam O wrote: »
    Right, so you didn't think ADM was a good signing at the time? One of the best players in the world? Falcao? One of the best strikers in the world pre-injury wasn't worth bringing in for a year loan to see if he could get back? Herrera and Shaw, both filled gaping holes in the squad weren't good signings? Blind, who has filled in very well in 3 positions and if anything has been underrated this season. Rojo, like Shaw has had a lot of injury problems, tough to be too hard on players when going through that. Memphis, one of the top prospects in the world for circa £20m? Not a good signing at the time?

People using a lot of hindsight...
    ADM was a god signing but he would want to have been the best player in the league to justify the price, and to be fair he was for about half a game. Falcao? Wasn't worth the risk when we had Welbeck ready to take on a more central role in the attack. It was quite clear after a game or two that he wasn't the same player, so the blame lies entirely with LVG and the scouts on that one. Herrera, as has been seen most clearly recently, is as much a luxury player as Mata, and just as limited in his role compared to the best in the league and Europe. Shaw is excellent, but again, like Schnedierlinn, was a fairly obvious signing. I don't think Van Gaal deserves any particular credit for it. Blind is extremely limited and not good enough to start, but may be ok as a squad option. Rojo the same. Memphis was never one of the top prospects in the world until he was linked with Utd, and is looking like another decent squad option for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Pro. F wrote: »
    Scwheinsteiger has been a lot better for United than Cambiasso was for Leicester and United have been a lot better than Leicester were last season when they had Cambiasso. So taken together, I would say that Schweinsteiger has been a much better signing than Cambiasso was.
    I don't think it's true at all to say that Schweinsteiger has been better for Utd than Cambiasso was for Leicester. Cambiasso was a very important player for that Leicester side, scoring 5 times in 31 appearances too. Schweinsteiger has essentially done nothing at Utd other than try to gain match fitness and pass the ball with precision parallel to the half way line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I would like to think that there's a definite plan in place but it won't kick in till the summer. This current form has thrown everything up in the air. I'd say there's an agreement in place at least I hope there is. Giggs not will to be interim boss so we'll limp along till the summer. All made up in my head I know but if it leads to pep I'll be happy in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think it's true at all to say that Schweinsteiger has been better for Utd than Cambiasso was for Leicester. Cambiasso was a very important player for that Leicester side, scoring 5 times in 31 appearances too. Schweinsteiger has essentially done nothing at Utd other than try to gain match fitness and pass the ball with precision parallel to the half way line.

If your judging goals scored as a correlation for both, then your totally missing the actual value and purpose of both being signed by the respective clubs.

Schweinsteiger brings immense calm and control, along with experience into a team that gone through a relatively high turnover quickly. He is a conduit on the field for the manager, with the intelligence to read the game and ideally, managing the players around him when changing circumstances arise, be it opposing tactical/personal changes, or tempos in the game.

zorro2566 wrote: »

Saw some links for that yesterday from other papers and stuff.

This is going to be essentially one of the biggest transfer sagas in modern times for the club, and it's likely there is going to be plenty of **** thrown at the wall over the coming months.

Going to be extremely messy. The uncertainty is definitly not going to help the squad itself trying to drag itself out of this mire.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger brings immense calm and control, along with experience into a team that gone through a relatively high turnover quickly. He is a conduit on the field for the manager, with the intelligence to read the game and ideally, managing the players around him when changing circumstances arise, be it opposing tactical/personal changes, or tempos in the game.

That sounds like a mission statement and a good reason for buying him, but not a reflection of what he has actually been doing.

The reality is that Schweinsteiger hasn't been great for us, to the point that had we not signed him we wouldn't really be any worse off. That doesn't mean it was a bad choice to buy him, and considering all our other player woes it isn't even surprising, but we didn't get the Schweinsteiger we wanted to get.

• Advertisement

I would like to think that there's a definite plan in place but it won't kick in till the summer. This current form has thrown everything up in the air. I'd say there's an agreement in place at least I hope there is. Giggs not will to be interim boss so we'll limp along till the summer. All made up in my head I know but if it leads to pep I'll be happy in the end

Yeah my current theory based on nothing but a hope, is that aslong as Van Gaal remains in place, is keeps me positive that Guardiola has made no decision, and has given positive inroads to Woodward.

I'd certainly hope that there is no real issue between Woodward and Fergie, as Fergie would be an incredible asset here in trying to convince Guardiola to come to OT. And even if there was, that Ferguson would appreciate what is best for the club, and help best he can at enticing Pep.

That sounds like a mission statement and a good reason for buying him, but not a reflection of what he has actually been doing.

The reality is that Schweinsteiger hasn't been great for us, to the point that had we not signed him we wouldn't really be any worse off. That doesn't mean it was a bad choice to buy him, and considering all our other player woes it isn't even surprising, but we didn't get the Schweinsteiger we wanted to get.

I don't agree with the statement that he has done nothing for United.

There was no real surprise in what we were signing. A controlled deep lying midfielder with a propensity to move forward when possible. But at his age in a new league, and seeing the team deploy 4-2-3-1, I don't think it was surprising to see him playing in a more reserved role.

Has he carried the team on his back, no, and he won't do that. But I've very much appreciated his calming and classy exuberance presented in numerous matches. He has been the conduit for instilling the controlling possession segment of Van Gaals tactics. That things arn't firing around him and ahead of him, I don't believe is his problem, and moreso the tactic itself, and the players themselves.

He could be doing more in an offensive capacity perhaps. I think when he plays alongside Schneiderlan(my personal favourite combination I've seen) he could be more adventurous at home and join into the attacks more and break into the box more often.

Continuing to see Blind, who I really like, I've pondered what a midfield combination of Schneiderlan and Blind would look like(if we had secured another CB in summer, or if/when Rojo comes back to full fitness). Maybe Blind in that 2 DM pair could provide more forward incision then we have being getting?

Probably irrelevant, as it would be too little too late in the season.

Being very important for Leicester in 14/15 proves very little about how good Cambiasso was actually playing. Put the current Schweinsteiger in that 14/15 Leicester side and he obviously would have been very important as well. And put last year's Cambiasso in this United team and he obviously would be much less important.

The proper way to judge how good the players have been is to compare their performances. Schweinsteiger's performances have been much better than Cambiasso's were. Yes Cambiasso scored 5 goals to Schweinsteiger's 1, but he played over twice as many minutes as Schweinsteiger has so far and goals are not that important a factor for judging central midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Looked lads, I'd love to be proven wrong with this but, Guardiola will be going to Coty.
    He takes over teams almost or at the top that need slight tweaking. He won't do a restoration project like will be required at United.
    This stuff is all click bait get people to our pages and we'll look great (like our claims of having 1 billion supporters worldwide)

What bothers me now is that LVG is still there (sadly I've rejected the czar of Aalkmaar) and doesn't look like he'll be leaving anytime soon because we're not interested in Jose.

If we're not interested in Jose the second best manager in the world and the best manager in the world (Guardiola) is unobtainable than who are we looking at.

Giggs - please god no..
    Ferguson - lets set the club back another decade
    Pochettino - why would he leave spurs for a team that needs a similar rebuilding project..

Sorry lads might be a bit doomy and gloomy today...

Try and cheer me up eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Looked lads, I'd love to be proven wrong with this but, Guardiola will be going to Coty.
    He takes over teams almost or at the top that need slight tweaking. He won't do a restoration project like will be required at United.
    This stuff is all click bait get people to our pages and we'll look great (like our claims of having 1 billion supporters worldwide)

What bothers me now is that LVG is still there (sadly I've rejected the czar of Aalkmaar) and doesn't look like he'll be leaving anytime soon because we're not interested in Jose.

If we're not interested in Jose the second best manager in the world and the best manager in the world (Guardiola) is unobtainable than who are we looking at.

Giggs - please god no..
    Pochettino - why would he leave spurs for a team that needs a similar rebuilding project..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Reading an "article" on MEN this morning got me wishing we still had Moyes at the helm and just goes to show how absolutely shocking we are for the last 18 months.

After the Olympiacos defeat they beat West Brom 3-0 away, were hammered by Liverpool and beat West Ham away before beating Olympiacos 3-0. The VG United wouldn't have a hope of securing these results, although they'd probably draw the Liverpool game (doubtful given the form they were in that season)

When you look at Moyes record, he lost 11 PL games, 2 each to Citeh (the champions), Liverpool (who should have been champions but for Stevie Me) and Everton and one each to Chelsea and Spurs along with the others. He got to the semi of the league cup (which he should have won) and did well against Bayern in the CL QF. VGs united are miles away from any of these achievements although VG has mastered what Moyes could not - he plays well against the better teams.

I always thought United was beyond Moyes capability and would have sacked him sooner than they did but when you look back after 2 years of Van Boring I wish we hadn't. I think we'd be title challengers by now, still winning away games 2 and 3 nil and competing in the CL.

Hindsight is a great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

brinty wrote: »

Giggs - please god no..

LVG is gone in the summer, i think that is 100% guaranteed, no matter what he achieves (which now, looks like top 4 and Fa cup is the limit).

i think Woodward knows he is going, but just wants to try ride out the season and hope we get top 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LVG is gone in the summer, i think that is 100% guaranteed, no matter what he achieves (which now, looks like top 4 and Fa cup is the limit).

i think Woodward knows he is going, but just wants to try ride out the season and hope we get top 4.

Would agree. I reckon that if he saw Jose or Giggs as viable alternatives, they'd already be in place, but that he/the board have decided that there's no one better right now so we'll soldier on till summer :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Coat22 wrote: »
    I always thought United was beyond Moyes capability and would have sacked him sooner than they did but when you look back after 2 years of Van Boring I wish we hadn't. I think we'd be title challengers by now, still winning away games 2 and 3 nil and competing in the CL.

Moyes is out of a job at the moment. It's not too late.

• Advertisement

Woodward signs a frustrated Dimitar Berbatov back from Greece, who spearheads our 4-2-3-1 and finally makes it click, scoring 24 league goals in the remainder of the season. Penny drops with Memphis who starts to annihilate defences and finishes the season at the top of the assists chart and with 15 league goals.

Van Gaal during a tight 0-0 throws his notepad and cracks Schweinsteiger in the head with it, as the two exchange expletives in German. Schweinsteiger persists in dominating the game which we win 4-0, and rekindles his late 20's form for the remainder of the season.

Van Gaal leads the team to an unprecedented run in that ends with a premier league title and FA Cup, before announcing his retirement at the unveiling of his predecessor Pep Guardiola.

Carslberg don't do season run ins.....

*At some point in the remainder of the season, Van Gaal gives Alan Pardew a stunner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Warren Joyce should be given the job over Giggs if it come to that.

Anyway its all doom and gloom. LVG hasnt gone yet so he wont be going anywhere until the summer at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sorry Brinty .....not here to cheer you up....looking out at p***ing rain as Utds season slowly fades away.

Unfortunately I agree with you that odds are Pep will go with City.Put yourself in his shoes watching a promo DVD prepared by likes of Man Utd,Man City,Chelsea and Arsenal (the sides supposedly courting him closely).

Even though we have 'the biggest support base in the world' as is often touted and valuable sponsorship deals tied in there are things City have that are not just part of Utd set up at mo.....as much as I hate to say it.They have being far more far sighted in using the Oil money to build a youth setup that makes Utds pale in comparison beside it.In time to come Utd might get a new sugardaddy!....Was an excellent piece on Football Focus a few months back on how all the City youth teams play same style etc etc aka Barca to integrate promising players into a style of play.We all know Arsene Wenger has that well sussed at Arsenal too.Lack of nos of players coming through at both Chelsea and Utd over last good few years would not impress Pep.

as someone has said in last few pages Pep likes to take over a team that just needs tweaking...and with the best will in the world .......Citys squad has a lot more depth to it than Utds at the moment.

Hopefully I am proved wrong too and Pep is a romantic type who lets Bobby Charlton wax lyrical to him about the good old days...and then signs on the dotted line.

Ps- I would happily take Pochetino if Pep wasn't available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Checks Headlines for an update:

" Louis van Gaal 'won't quit' Manchester United and has 'fantastic' relationship with owners "

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

as someone has said in last few pages Pep likes to take over a team that just needs tweaking...and with the best will in the world .......

I don't know if that's strictly true. The first thing he did when he took over Barca was try and punt three of their biggest names; Ronaldinho, Eto and Deco. That was more than simply tweaking the side, actually very similar to what Ferguson did in the mid 90's with Hughes, Kanchelskis (sp) and Ince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Reading an "article" on MEN this morning got me wishing we still had Moyes at the helm and just goes to show how absolutely shocking we are for the last 18 months.

After the Olympiacos defeat they beat West Brom 3-0 away, were hammered by Liverpool and beat West Ham away before beating Olympiacos 3-0. The VG United wouldn't have a hope of securing these results, although they'd probably draw the Liverpool game (doubtful given the form they were in that season)

When you look at Moyes record, he lost 11 PL games, 2 each to Citeh (the champions), Liverpool (who should have been champions but for Stevie Me) and Everton and one each to Chelsea and Spurs along with the others. He got to the semi of the league cup (which he should have won) and did well against Bayern in the CL QF. VGs united are miles away from any of these achievements although VG has mastered what Moyes could not - he plays well against the better teams.

Moyes is out of a job at the moment. It's not too late.

2j41rm9.gif

How dare you :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't know if that's strictly true. The first thing he did when he took over Barca was try and punt three of their biggest names; Ronaldinho, Eto and Deco. That was more than simply tweaking the side, actually very similar to what Ferguson did in the mid 90's with Hughes, Kanchelskis (sp) and Ince

in fairness, Ronaldinho was finished at Barca the season before pep even arrived and Deco was no longer a main player in the team. Etoo was the main striker in peps first team

bangkok wrote: »
    in fairness, Ronaldinho was finished at Barca the season before pep even arrived and Deco was no longer a main player in the team. Etoo was the main striker in peps first team

Deco and Ronaldinho were still relatively young though, Deco certainly didn't do too bad when he first went to Chelsea. Could draw parallels with the situations of both players to Rooneys current situation; past their peak, but remain hugely talented, have achieved huge success at the club, and would take a brave manager to punt them.

I know Eto ended up staying, but certainly Guadiola did initially try and punt him.

LiamoSail wrote: »

I think that clear out by Ferguson was overrated.

Ince was a poor mans Roy Keane. Once he had Keane he didn't need Ince even without the baggage he brought with him.

Hughes was 32 and had scored only 8 in 34 PL appearances. Time to go.

Kanchelskis. That one made me weep. Loved watching that lad but hey we had Giggs and Beckham coming through. Still would have kept him though.

Kanchelskis. That one made me weep. Loved watching that lad but hey we had Giggs and Beckham coming through. Still would have kept him though.

Iirc Ferguson says he didn't want to sell him, but Kancheskis wanted to move for financial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Van Gaal stays as long as Guardiola is an option.

If Guardiola was off the table, I think then Mourinho would be the next option. Also people are putting two and two together for Man City based on two people there who were at Barcelona. Pep seems to be his own man and I think when the talk about maybe a year off, it was pointing to United being the job that he wants.
    Also why Woodward won't accept the resignation of Van Gaal, Woodward doesn't want an interim manager, but if Guardiola is going to be our next manager, it needs to be finalised soon, so to ease pressure on Van Gaal and let the fans know that there is a plan in place, also the players would know they are playing for the next manager.
    I think the hostile atmosphere towards Van Gaal would go.

At the moment I tend to believe we will have Guardiola as our next manager.

• Advertisement

Ince was a poor mans Roy Keane. Once he had Keane he didn't need Ince even without the baggage he brought with him.

Paul Ince is almost criminally underrated around here. He was a fantastic player that played a huge part in Uniteds success at that time, the type of dominating figure that every successful team needs to have. Even if you have Keane its still a huge decision to let go a player like that, it only makes you weaker. What I wouldn't give to have a Paul Ince today, he would steamroll over some of the excuses we call midfielders these days.

Paul Ince is almost criminally underrated around here. He was a fantastic player that played a huge part in Uniteds success at that time, the type of dominating figure that every successful team needs to have. Even if you have Keane its still a huge decision to let go a player like that, it only makes you weaker. What I wouldn't give to have a Paul Ince today, he would steamroll over some of the excuses we call midfielders these days.

Paul Ince the player and Paul Ince the person, A lot didn't like the person.

Did Keane not replace Robson, and Scholes/Butt replace Ince a year or two later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think Van Gaal stays as long as Guardiola is an option.

If Guardiola was off the table, I think then Mourinho would be the next option. Also people are putting two and two together for Man City based on two people there who were at Barcelona. Pep seems to be his own man and I think when the talk about maybe a year off, it was pointing to United being the job that he wants.
    Also why Woodward won't accept the resignation of Van Gaal, Woodward doesn't want an interim manager, but if Guardiola is going to be our next manager, it needs to be finalised soon, so to ease pressure on Van Gaal and let the fans know that there is a plan in place, also the players would know they are playing for the next manager.
    I think the hostile atmosphere towards Van Gaal would go.

At the moment I tend to believe we will have Guardiola as our next manager.

It's definitely a theory that I can't shake from my mind, it does add up, but I'm not sure if its just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Paul Ince the player and Paul Ince the person, A lot didn't like the person.

this is it for me though i think most people who would be underrating him were only 10-12 years old when he was playing, alot even younger.

perhaps i am guilty of not rating him, because i hate him over what happened in 1999.

Julez wrote: »
    It's definitely a theory that I can't shake from my mind, it does add up, but I'm not sure if its just wishful thinking.

Guillem Ballague seems pretty certain he is going to City, for what that is worth.

Then there are claims that United want Giggs to be our Pep Guardiola.
    I wish this Giggs obsession would just end, so my wishful thinking is we are waiting on Guardiola...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Guillem Ballague seems pretty certain he is going to City, for what that is worth.

Very little tbh. Might as well ask the postman.

this is it for me though i think most people who would be underrating him were only 10-12 years old when he was playing, alot even younger.

perhaps i am guilty of not rating him, because i hate him over what happened in 1999.

I was about 5 to 6 years older than that.
    I always thought he felt he was better Keane and a bit too sure of himself. That Fergie was happy to sell him on.
    I remember being happy when he left.

Well I was in my 20's. Delighted when we signed him as we needed someone like him in the middle but then Keane came through at Forrest and Ferguson and everyone else (apart maybe from Ince) could see he was an upgrade on Ince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Very little tbh. Might as well ask the postman.

Sure didn't he deny that Pep was going to Bayern a couple of days before he announced it.. id listen to AIG before I'd listen to Ballague about Pep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

On Giggs too, there seems to be very short memories from the games he managed, I think we won a couple, but we looked pretty clueless from the other two of those games too if I remember correctly. A small sample size I suppose.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Iirc Ferguson says he didn't want to sell him, but Kancheskis wanted to move for financial reasons.

Some story about being offered a bag of cash in a car park one night by some connection of Kanchelskis or the Russian Mafia. Bit of a weird story - think Fergie was on the whiskey when he recalled it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

On Giggs too, there seems to be very short memories from the games he managed, I think we won a couple, but we looked pretty clueless from the other two of those games too if I remember correctly. A small sample size I suppose.

Sky were going through a wins per game percentage a couple of weeks ago with the last 4 managers.

They stressed the point that Giggsy had a better WPG ratio than LVG.

Fackin dipsticks.

2 wins, a draw and 1 loss. Picked his friends, said he couldn't sleep.

Moyes had a higher win %, ok know it was just 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

jayo26 wrote: »
    2j41rm9.gif

How dare you :):)

This place needs more IASIP gifs. Too much salty bitching going on lately.

Van Gaal team talk...

tZtTaZf.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Some story about being offered a bag of cash in a car park one night by some connection of Kanchelskis or the Russian Mafia. Bit of a weird story - think Fergie was on the whiskey when he recalled it

My memory is shady but I do believe it was kanchelskis handing over the bag only cash in exchange for getting family members returned and he was paying protection money for years after gambling debts.

J. Marston wrote: »
    This place needs more IASIP gifs. Too much salty bitching going on lately.

Van Gaal team talk...

tZtTaZf.gif

The last episode was called: Charlie beats United.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/pep-guardiola-manchester-united-manager-bayern-munich-barcelona

Contains quotes from Pep confidential.
    n Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola’s First Season at Bayern Munich, written by his close friend and journalist Marti Perarnau, the former Barcelona manager admits to being seduced when watching Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United in 2011, saying: “I like this atmosphere. I could see myself coaching here one day.”
    “Pep liked the setup at Säbener Strasse (Bayern’s training facility) despite the fact it was smaller than Barça’s training ground and had fewer technical facilities.
    “The Catalan was impressed and told [his personal assistant] Manuel Estiarte privately: ‘I like this place. I could see myself coaching here one day. Pep had said something very similar a few months before, at Manchester United. The day after beating Real Madrid in the Champions League semi-final, Guardiola and Estiarte travelled to Manchester to watch their next opponents in action.

“It was 4 May 2011, and the pair sat together in the stands of Old Trafford watching Sir Alex Ferguson’s team beat Schalke 4-1. Once again Pep had turned to his friend and said: ‘I like this atmosphere. I could see myself coaching here one day.’ Guardiola has always felt a deep admiration, almost veneration, for the legendary teams and players of Europe.”

So he said he could see himself coaching at Bayern Munich and he did itm he has said the same about United.
    Txiki Begiristain, the director of football at Manchester City had tried to get him to Man City but he overlooked them.
    Man City are not legendary or venerated like United, just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/pep-guardiola-manchester-united-manager-bayern-munich-barcelona

Contains quotes from Pep confidential.

So he said he could see himself coaching at Bayern Munich and he did itm he has said the same about United.
    Txiki Begiristain, the director of football at Manchester City had tried to get him to Man City but he overlooked them.
    Man City are not legendary or venerated like United, just saying.

*insert "so your telling me there's a chance" GIF here!

All we need now is future guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Maybe this is all a ruse.

The board don't want Jose.

They don't want Giggsy.

They are convinced they can get Pep in the summer.

So they leave things as they are.

It could be a masterstroke or we could end up with neither Jose or Pep and with masses of egg on our face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement