Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/pep-guardiola-manchester-united-manager-bayern-munich-barcelona

Contains quotes from Pep confidential.

So he said he could see himself coaching at Bayern Munich and he did itm he has said the same about United.
    Txiki Begiristain, the director of football at Manchester City had tried to get him to Man City but he overlooked them.
    Man City are not legendary or venerated like United, just saying.

100‰ joining city no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That quote came about when United were still in a great position, I'm sure Pep would have been happy to take over from Fergie

The situation is considerably different now and golden boy won't want to tarnish his record, he'll go to City win a couple of league titles like he's done at Bayern and move on possibly into managing Spain or there were rumours of Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

jayo26 wrote: »
    100‰ joining city

That's simply not true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Paul Ince the player and Paul Ince the person, A lot didn't like the person.

Most likely. For myself I couldn't give a toss about the person really, because I don't know the person. I've no problem with people making judgements or having opinions but at the end of the day we don't know these people. People hate Ince for his arrogance but for all we know he could be a fantastic friend to those who know him, we have no idea so its a little foolish to denigrate him based on various comments.

For me its all about what he does, Ince performed for us big time so I'll respect that. Take Van Gaal for instance, I think a lot of his actions since joining the club are the actions of a jackass but if he was performing as a manager I wouldn't really give a ****e.
    I was about 5 to 6 years older than that.
    I always thought he felt he was better Keane and a bit too sure of himself. That Fergie was happy to sell him on.
    I remember being happy when he left.
    I have absolutely no problem with a top level player being arrogant, all the very best players should have total belief in themselves. Besides, why wouldn't a powerful senior player in his prime like Ince not believe he was better than the newcomer in Roy Keane? I would be more disappointed if he didn't think he was better, we don't need no shrinking violets in these teams.
    Coat22 wrote: »
    Well I was in my 20's. Delighted when we signed him as we needed someone like him in the middle but then Keane came through at Forrest and Ferguson and everyone else (apart maybe from Ince) could see he was an upgrade on Ince.

You're not the first to say something like this, is it really such a slight on Ince to not be as good as perhaps the best midfielder ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Only reason that LVG hasn't yet been relieved of duties is there's an agreement in place with someone who can't slot in now. That's what I believe although I am a bit of a spooler bill.

• Advertisement

That's simply not true though.

It is I said it :)

ahh im just been a doomsdayer in regards to pep Its easier then been disappointed.

Who knows maybe he will it would make sense as to why lvg is still in a job but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well, whatever is going on, it is all a bit strange.

Manger looking to resign on more than one occasion by all accounts and told to stay. Another manager desperately wanting the job, and no sign United want him, another who wants to become a manager and no sign United want him either.
    Meanwhile another manager says he is leaving his current club in the summer and all we can say is no one has a clue what is going on, apart from a select few people like Woodward, Pep, some at City and the rest are all just guessing.

But it sure isn't doing Van Gaal any favours.

Well, whatever is going on, it is all a bit strange.

Manger looking to resign on more than one occasion by all accounts and told to stay. Another manager desperately wanting the job, and no sign United want him, another who wants to become a manager and no sign United want him either.
    Meanwhile another manager says he is leaving his current club in the summer and all we can say is no one has a clue what is going on, apart from a select few people like Woodward, Pep, some at City and the rest are all just guessing.

But it sure isn't doing Van Gaal any favours.

I dont believe the lvg offered to resign stories at all it dont seem like it would make any sense.

A guy from de telegraph on sky news earlier saying the reason he is been kept on is because he is doing amazing work behind the scenes and glaziers see this, it would make alot more sense but then if that's the case why don't they move. Him to and advisors or directors roll and let someone capable an age the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It can't be Giggs or Jose for me anyway.

Most likely. For myself I couldn't give a toss about the person really, because I don't know the person. I've no problem with people making judgements or having opinions but at the end of the day we don't know these people. People hate Ince for his arrogance but for all we know he could be a fantastic friend to those who know him, we have no idea so its a little foolish to denigrate him based on various comments.

For me its all about what he does, Ince performed for us big time so I'll respect that. Take Van Gaal for instance, I think a lot of his actions since joining the club are the actions of a jackass but if he was performing as a manager I wouldn't really give a ****e.

I have absolutely no problem with a top level player being arrogant, all the very best players should have total belief in themselves. Besides, why wouldn't a powerful senior player in his prime like Ince not believe he was better than the newcomer in Roy Keane? I would be more disappointed if he didn't think he was better, we don't need no shrinking violets in these teams.

You're not the first to say something like this, is it really such a slight on Ince to not be as good as perhaps the best midfielder ever?

I don't think Ince could handle it that he was not the Guvner with Keane being superior.
    He was doing a TC23 with his image and the name the Guvner. I was happy when he left and took that crap with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't think Ince could handle it that he was not the Guvner with Keane being superior.
    He was doing a TC23 with his image and the name the Guvner. I was happy when he left and took that crap with him.

He was one of the key players for Utd in Fergusons early success. I don't know about him handing things or not but it certainly didn't affect his on field performances.

I wasn't happy at all when he left and thought it was a mistake. I don't know what crap he took with him either. If you want to go down that road then what about Beckham? I presume you were even happier to see him sold with th circus he had created with his wife. That one Fergie got spot on IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

with regards to Pep - as much as I would like United to get him in, all the briefing from the club is that they simply aren't going for him, because they believe he is off to City, and its been nailed on for that for a while now - they don't want to get involved in a fight they have already lost. All the contacts the fanszines have (UWS and RedIssue - I don't know about Red News) indicate there is no contact with Pep either.

It could, obviously, be the case that the club are actually conducting a bid for him in private, in secret and are its only know to a select few who have indicated and briefed to all others that nothing is happening. Though, Woodward himself has been a great source, directly, of such stories so him not blabbing it to a journo friend would be surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The last episode was called: Charlie beats United.

Ass Kickers United ;)

tumblr_l9g3aqcGqL1qe0qyho1_500.gif

Though you must not be watching the new series at the moment, its on the 4th episode of season 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He handled it where it mattered, on the field, his performances never dipped for us.

Besides, who says he couldn't handle Keane being superior, where has that come from? Was Keane better? Keane may have gone on to be the greater player but in 1994/95 he was still a relative newcomer to the club, wheras Ince was a huge figure and at the time the first black England captain. So why do you say he couldn't handle Keane being superior, whats that based on?

Fergie had his reasons for moving Ince on I'm sure but it wasn't because Ince couldn't handle Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Just read a Very interesting piece by Kevin Palmer.. doesn't paint Woody in good colour. .. basically saying it was a big mistake by Glaziers putting an Accountant with huge marketing skills in top position and having control over footy matters .. signings of players and appointing Managers... called him a football novice.
    Also refers to his reluctance to axe VG as it would reflect badly on his judgment up hire him. Woody is on a bit of a sticky wicket with the present scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Though, Woodward himself has been a great source, directly, of such stories so him not blabbing it to a journo friend would be surprising.

Did Woodward blab about going for Van Gaal when Moyes was in charge?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pro. F wrote: »
    Did Woodward blab about going for Van Gaal when Moyes was still in charge?

When the denials of the meeting with Pep went round a few days ago, people were posting a nearly identically worded article where we denied meeting with LVG when Moyes was half out the door.

Whether we have or haven't met with Pep or anyone else, the offical line should 100% be "We aren't talking to anyone else, LVG is our manager". Thats professionalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

secman wrote: »
    Just read a Very interesting piece by Kevin Palmer.. doesn't paint Woody in good colour. .. basically saying it was a big mistake by Glaziers putting an Accountant with huge marketing skills in top position and having control over footy matters .. signings of players and appointing Managers... called him a football novice.
    Also refers to his reluctance to axe VG as it would reflect badly on his judgment up hire him. Woody is on a bit of a sticky wicket with the present scenario.

I know of another accountant who was also in charge of operations and marketing that did alright at Manchester United.....seemed to run things well with Fergie.

The truth of the matter is no one knows why he's not been axed, it might be the glaziers who want him there it might not my point is we know **** all. Everybody and anybody has an opinion, I've seen about 10 this week alone. If they are all right...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Depressing to see how much more exciting the likes of Everton, Stoke and teams like that are to watch compared to us.

Their players look so much more aggressive, pacey, with so much more movement and fluidity it's startling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Sir Alex sitting in the Etihad.

He probably had enough of the BS at Old Trafford and wanted to watch a real game of football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Depressing to see how much more exciting the likes of Everton, Stoke and teams like that are to watch compared to us.

Their players look so much more aggressive, pacey, with so much more movement and fluidity it's startling.

Take some solace from "my" belief that we too could be aggressive/pacey/fluid one day soon if LVG leaves and is replaced by the right man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

I know of another accountant who was also in charge of operations and marketing that did alright at Manchester United.....seemed to run things well with Fergie.

The truth of the matter is no one knows why he's not been axed, it might be the glaziers who want him there it might not my point is we know **** all. Everybody and anybody has an opinion, I've seen about 10 this week alone. If they are all right...............

But that one did well....unlike this one.....

astradave wrote: »
    Ass Kickers United ;)

tumblr_l9g3aqcGqL1qe0qyho1_500.gif

Though you must not be watching the new series at the moment, its on the 4th episode of season 11

I only started watching it recently after I got netflix and had watched other series, only on season 2, and I hope it is like United and that I have a lot to look forward to...
    The Phil Jones episode is in season 2 - Charlie gets crippled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pro. F wrote: »
    Iirc Ferguson says he didn't want to sell him, but Kancheskis wanted to move for financial reasons.

He didn't want Hughes to go either, this fabled getting rid of the big names for the young lads coming through has been built up to be a lot more then it was. From memory the only one he actually ok'd to leave was Ince and that was because he was going foreign.

Kanchelskis was allowed to go for financial reasons, and Fergie says in one of his books, a threat from shady characters and when stuff like that comes in to play its not worth the hassle.

Hughes was gone before he even knew, he got a phonecall on holiday telling him Hughes had left.

Thankfully the lads coming through to fill the position were up for the job!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Coat22 wrote: »
    Well I was in my 20's. Delighted when we signed him as we needed someone like him in the middle but then Keane came through at Forrest and Ferguson and everyone else (apart maybe from Ince) could see he was an upgrade on Ince.

Keane and himself had a fantastic partnership and with the ever ailing Robbo coming to the end it was a scary time when Ince was allowed to leave. They were brilliant together, truly terrifying for the opposition and though you could see that Keane was going to go on and be the major force in the midfield for years to come it does also strike me that Ince is really, really underrated by an awful lot of United fans, admittedly the ones who may have been young enough when he was at the club I suppose.

United were not the best at paying wages at that time still and the lure of the Lira seemed to turn his head, one hell of a player for us though. Despite what happened when he left the club and returned to England to play for that lot.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Would love to see how many goals a season City get from crosses from wide positions.

Good delivery into the box is a huge part of their game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So true. Our players look like 60 year old pensioners. So much for trying harder than any team in the league. Pretty much every team in the league is more fun to watch.

Di Maria absolutely ripping it up in France now, past 20 goals + assists already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Di Maria absolutely ripping it up in France now, past 20 goals + assists already.

Woeful league in fairness. Sure he did the same with us, like 10 assists and a few goals in basically half a season.

• Advertisement

Would love to see how many goals a season City get from crosses from wide positions.

Good delivery into the box is a huge part of their game.

Will be less with Kevin de Bruyne out injured. Such a good player, pity we didn''t go in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I know its a dodgy site but how is this even allowed to be discussed. Lack of defenders and this guy is showing that he has the ability to fill in when needed.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/490610/Manchester-United-Transfer-News-Guillermo-Varela-Genoa-loan-Louis-van-Gaal-delays-switch

Good luck to him, he was worried about burglars in Manchester.
    Much worse with terrorism in Paris...

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Woeful league in fairness. Sure he did the same with us, like 10 assists and a few goals in basically half a season.

True. Huge pity we couldn't have handled him much better than we did. We weren't his first choice but jeez we could have at least got another couple of seasons our of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

True. Huge pity we couldn't have handled him much better than we did. We weren't his first choice but jeez we could have at least got another couple of seasons our of him.

After the Leicester game I thought he was going to be a monster for us.

Pity it didn't work out but sure these things happen, at least we recouped most of the fee for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

He's a wonderful player but realised very quickly that although he loved the money he hated living in Manchester. That, and the fact that LVG didn't exactly play him to his strengths didn't help either. LVG is very good at not playing players in their best positions though so it's not surprising.

The club have a brilliant stadium, vast amounts of money to spend and despite the mediocrity of the past 3 years since Fergie stepped down they still have a very very good reputation and are still regarded as a footballing giant.

Imagine how we would be doing if we had a good manager.

The thoughts of LVG staying until the summer while we let champions league football slip further and further away is more than a little depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Sir Alex sitting in the Etihad.

He probably had enough of the BS at Old Trafford and wanted to watch a real game of football

Maybe he felt he wanted some alone time. Could sit quietly surrounded by the 20000 empty seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

To call Ligue 1 a pub league would be a compliment.

Why are we lamenting a player who refused to show up for pre season and more or less forced a move away from the club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Couldn't be arsed about Di Maria. Giving his bull**** heart symbol to the crowd and then sulking like a baby a few months later. Good luck to him. Hope he's nicely wrapped in cotton wool over there.

Why are we lamenting a player who refused to show up for pre season and more or less forced a move away from the club...

i dont hold the same bitterness towards him that you and several others do. he was a world class player, that LVG in my belief, treated very badly.

you can argue he never wanted to sign for us, but he did and LVG could have handled him better, like alot of other players too both past and current.

• Advertisement

i dont hold the same bitterness towards him that you and several others do. he was a world class player, that LVG in my belief, treated very badly.

you can argue he never wanted to sign for us, but he did and LVG could have handled him better, like alot of other players too both past and current.

LVG's treatment of him doesn't excuse his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Do any of ye think Woody could persuade one of these Chinese clubs to fork out good money for Fellaini ?

Do any of ye think Woody could persuade one of these Chinese clubs to fork out good money for Fellaini ?

#WellDongFellaini

Here we go again.

Newsflash!! The club needs to add players to the squad, not sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I image it goes like this..

Woody: So you want this big afro head here?
    Chinese: Sure, how much you asking for?
    Woody: 20 mil
    Chinese: :pac:

Fair depressing when the clubs own TV channel have guests on that think anything but a defeat against Derby is a good result. Bloody terrible state of affairs.

That's a bit weird logic to be fair from you. You seem to hold a grudge against club legends like Ince and Schmeichel for their leaving and the manner of it, yet don't show any bitterness to a player who was the most expensive player in the leagues history and who stuck around for one season!(which in itself I find utterly bizzare and unusual for such a high profile signing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think LVG might have been behind the rise of Islamic State too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think LVG might have been behind the rise of Islamic State too.

Not sure about that...ISIS know how to attack and get a few shots off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

adox wrote: »
    That's a bit weird logic to be fair from you. You seem to hold against club legends like Ince and Schmeichel for their leaving and the manner of it, yet don't show any bitterness to a player who was the most expensive player in the leagues history and who stuck around for one season!(which in itself I find utterly bizzare and unusual for such a high profile signing)

It's perfectly consistent logic from him to be fair. If he got an undercooked sausage and chips at Old Trafford he'd be blaming either LVG or Woodward at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement