Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

. We're in danger of turning into ****ing Liverpool as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'm not sure where to start with this post.

It isn't an argument at all, so how it can be a lazy one I have no idea.

Scaremongering is not wanting Giggs to be in the hot seat....not sure I can agree with that either.

Relegation form, yep we are right now.

Endure Giggs for a few games if thats what it takes.

Have to brake that into two parts, "endure him for a few games" It is the end of December, there is half (right now over half) the games left to be played in the league. It is not a few games.

"If thats what it takes", how in the name of God can you be anyway confident that, that is what it will take!? What have you seen from Giggs to give you such confidence?

I didn't quite the whole post for obvious reasons, your post outlines why you don't want Giggs as caretaker or if you read between the lines why LVG shouldnt get the boot.

Imo your using the fear of Giggs to justify keeping LVG around.

Endure him as caretaker for a few games which I should have made clearer.

I'm not confident, but something has to change and LVG isn't getting anything from these players so at this point I don't see how things could be worse under Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What can I say.

Speechless after today. He is as good as gone be it I like it or not.

I have been in the keep him till May camp, but I be destroyed in argument about him too.

We beat Chelsea 1-0, goal by unlikely player and LVG turns into Fergie part 2, let me dream its Christmas :)

You know I normally consider myself pretty optimistic, but you make me look like a nihilist. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

"We're turning into Liverpool" is quickly becoming "its our year" for the United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

beno619 wrote: »
    I didn't quite the whole post for obvious reasons, your post outlines why you don't want Giggs as caretaker or if you read between the lines why LVG shouldnt get the boot.

Imo your using the fear of Giggs to justify keeping LVG around.

Endure him as caretaker for a few games which I should have made clearer.

I'm not confident, but something has to change and LVG isn't getting anything from these players so at this point I don't see how things could be worse under Giggs.

What obvious reasons?

My post outlines why I don't want Giggs, full stop. You didn't mention caretaker then, only now. Nothing to do with why LVG shouldn't get the boot either. I have already made my thoughts pretty clear in the posts made this evening regarding my current opinion on Van Gaal and his position.

Using fear of Giggs to justify Van Gaal staying in the job just doesn't exist. I am fearful of Giggs taking over, that has nothing to do with Van Gaal, again, made clear in posts this evening.

Endure him as a caretaker is something you should have said if thats what you meant, however you didn't, you are saying caretaker now.

Something has to change yes, it doesn't matter if it wouldn't get any worse under Giggs, we have no way to know that, however how would it get better is a much more important question. Is there anything to show he can do any better?

If Van Gaal is sacked he will have been a major part of two failed coaching teams, his cameo as manager would have hardly inspired anything other then fear of him getting the job before going off and cutting his teeth elsewhere.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    "We're turning into Liverpool" is quickly becoming "its our year" for the United fans.

Na, we have a lot more going for us then Liverpool, I don't see how we are in any immediate danger of that happening.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Na, we have a lot more going for us then Liverpool, I don't see how we are in any immediate danger of that happening.

Hiring Mark Hughes as has been mentioned would be a good start

Hiring Mark Hughes as has been mentioned would be a good start

Hiring David Moyes was a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nah,United have a lot more going for them than Liverpool.
    Things are at a very low point for United but still in a better position overall than Pool.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Nah,United have a lot more going for them than Liverpool.
    Things are at a very low point for United but still in a better position overall than Pool.

Than pool are now. Than pool were 6 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

No, "it's our year" would be "it's our year" for Utd fans.

"We're turning into Liverpool" doesn't really translate to other teams. Maybe if the club can't repay the Glazer debt and the club implodes completely it could be "We're turning into Leeds" and anyone could use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lets buy Long, Mane and Mahrez.

Than pool are now. Than pool were 6 years ago?

Why would I be talking about 6 years ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

As bad as it seems, we're only 9 points off top. Bizarre season

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Chanting the name of a rival club's legend a couple of weeks after his departure from that club is fairly shameless. It's even worse than simply chanting for your own manager to be fired. I saw a few mentions of fans chanting for Jose in OT during the Norwich match but presumed it was massively exaggerated. I'm shocked to see the away fans chanting it today. Hard to tell how many were doing it but it seemed like a sizeable minority

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We've missed out on Champions League qualification once in the last 20 years + or so. Liverpool have played in the CL once in the last 6 season.

We won the league title in 2013. Liverpool haven't won it in 25 years.

And this is before mentioning the fact we have MUCH higher revenue streams, a bigger and better stadium and a larger fanbase. LOL at the comparisons between the two clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

What obvious reasons?

My post outlines why I don't want Giggs, full stop. You didn't mention caretaker then, only now. Nothing to do with why LVG shouldn't get the boot either. I have already made my thoughts pretty clear in the posts made this evening regarding my current opinion on Van Gaal and his position.

Using fear of Giggs to justify Van Gaal staying in the job just doesn't exist. I am fearful of Giggs taking over, that has nothing to do with Van Gaal, again, made clear in posts this evening.

Endure him as a caretaker is something you should have said if thats what you meant, however you didn't, you are saying caretaker now.

Something has to change yes, it doesn't matter if it wouldn't get any worse under Giggs, we have no way to know that, however how would it get better is a much more important question. Is there anything to show he can do any better?

If Van Gaal is sacked he will have been a major part of two failed coaching teams, his cameo as manager would have hardly inspired anything other then fear of him getting the job before going off and cutting his teeth elsewhere.

The obvious reason was that it was a long post so there was no need to qoute the whole thing.

Ive already acknowledged I should have made it clear I meant Giggs as caretaker. "For a few games" should have been easy enough to interpret.

There is nothing to show Giggs can do any better but hanging on to Moyes too long didn't help so I believe LVG should go regardless of who the possible replacements available are.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why would I be talking about 6 years ago ?

Well at that stage Liverpool were a big club falling into a hole due to mismanagement and poor managerial appointments compounded that. Could easily happen at United. The next appointment is HUGE.

And the whole we can attract any manager isn't the point really. Liverpool got Klopp so they can too. The issue is that any manager coming in has to deal with an unbalanced and poor enough squad, the same as at Anfield. Makes the job incredibly hard and another failed appointment will only compound that.

Compare the job the new United manager will have compared to Pep at City... its an incredible difference.

Blatter wrote: »
    We've missed out on Champions League qualification once in the last 20 years + or so. Liverpool have played in the CL once in the last 6 season.

We won the league title in 2013. Liverpool haven't won it in 25 years.

And this is before mentioning the fact we have MUCH higher revenue streams, a bigger and better stadium and a larger fanbase. LOL at the comparisons between the two clubs.

You sound like a Liverpool fan in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Chanting the name of a rival club's legend a couple of weeks after his departure from that club is fairly shameless. It's even worse than simply chanting for your own manager to be fired. I saw a few mentions of fans chanting for Jose in OT during the Norwich match but presumed it was massively exaggerated. I'm shocked to see the away fans chanting it today. Hard to tell how many were doing it but it seemed like a sizeable minority

I'm sure they could identify a few of the culprits from CCTV.

Revoke their season tickets, make an example of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If/when LVG is sacked, of course it will take some time to figure out a new manager.

Giggs will most definitely be caretaker manager again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Was talking to someone that went to the game earlier and he said most of the fans sang van Gaal's name before the game. At the end the fans were still singing; strong sense amongst the match goers that the team needs support. Chanting against van Gaal or the players isn't going to achieve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well we have reduced our goal difference to Arsenal :P

You sound like a Liverpool fan in 1993.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of what Liverpool fans were saying in 93.

But I do know the big difference between now and then. The biggest reason as to why Liverpool went on the slide wasn't due to poor squad management and poor managerial appointments - it was the failure to keep up to date with the money side of things (not being competitive with sponsorships etc.) while United were going from strength to strength on that side of things. I'm sure I don't need to show you the general correlation between how much money you spend and success, it's well documentated.

IMO, United are simply too big to go the way of Liverpool. Just like you won't be seeing Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona going that way in the future. They will go through blips (like we are at the moment) - but they will never go the way Liverpool have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Things are bad when Tom Cleverley is doing better then us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Were u there or did u see them? If you were well I'll take your word for it but I wasn't there nor did i see them apart from the dodgey looking guy holding up the p45 but id assume from the noise level of it that it was the home support doing it??

Yhh they will always be a few that do and say things but I generally feel the united support especially the away support has class. When I heard mourinhos name been chanted I could also here the fans busting into a few verses of George best song followed by Cantona but then again I suppose that's not sensational enough to talk about on a forum.

Well at that stage Liverpool were a big club falling into a hole due to mismanagement and poor managerial appointments compounded that. Could easily happen at United. The next appointment is HUGE.

And the whole we can attract any manager isn't the point really. Liverpool got Klopp so they can too. The issue is that any manager coming in has to deal with an unbalanced and poor enough squad, the same as at Anfield. Makes the job incredibly hard and another failed appointment will only compound that.

Compare the job the new United manager will have compared to Pep at City... its an incredible difference.

As I said United are still a better prospect than Liverpool.I dont know why you are bringing up Liverpool's circumstances 6 years ago or that Pool signed Kloop or City and Pep.

Pool have had a quarter of a century of poor appointments and there was huge mismanagement, in contrast United have a huge money making machine,massive stadium and money to spend Liverpool simply don't have any of that.Both clubs are coming from 2 very different positions.

I have said United are at a low point but I dont think anyone could realistically say United aren't in a better position than Pool,lay out all the Pro's and Con's of both clubs to a neutral and I think its fairly obvious who are in a healthier position .Of course the next appointment is huge that is stating the obvious.

You posted""We're turning into Liverpool" is quickly becoming "its our year" for the United fans" which doesnt make any sense but I presume it was just a dig at United.That is understandable from a rival fan and especially Pool fan's.

Im fairly sure that was Norwich fans,I haven't heard from anyone at today's game so no idea if United fans were chanting Jose's name but I doubt it.United's away support is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Things are bad when Tom Cleverley is doing better then us.

Not really, Pro F told you he was world class years ago...why didn't you listen then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know the funny thing is if the club got Jose in now, he could go on to win this crazy crazy league

Im firmly in the Jose camp at this stage, I do worry about the future if he comes but the now will be fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Mourinho arrived I think he would quickly move to bring in a centre back, full back and wide player.

He wouldn't spend time worrying about how they fit in long term, just the impact they could have until the end of the season.

If United make some smart moves now they could catch up quick thanks to how so many teams are struggling to put a strong run together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

DM_7 wrote: »
    If Mourinho arrived I think he would quickly move to bring in a centre back, full back and wide player.

He wouldn't spend time worrying about how they fit in long term, just the impact they could have until the end of the season.

If United

I have seen people complain Jose loves splashing cash on big players as if it's a negative. Would be interested to see if he renews his interest in Pogba and Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM_7 wrote: »

If United

He wanted Stones in the summer - and apparently Stones wanted a move to United, which United were hoping to do next summer; could see United making a push for him in January, but at the same time I couldn't see Everton having any interest in selling him.

Signing a player from an English club in January would be very tough - the money in the english game makes it nigh on impossible to bully a club into a sale.

Varane would probably be another player United would want but he is playing consistently for Madrid this season so I can't see them selling nor Varane having any interest in moving to United.

United need to correct the mistakes of the summer, but it will be very difficult in the January window. I think we will likely have to struggle on til the summer and hope we can get the 5 or 6 players we are probably going to need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I have seen people complain Jose loves splashing cash on big players as if it's a negative. Would be interested to see if he renews his interest in Pogba and Griezmann.

I am sure he would have big ideas for the summer window but could make helpful less sensational signings now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if Garay and Moutinho could be January targets if Mourinho came in, both Mendes clients.

Garay to partner Smalling and Moutinho to play centre mid with Schneiderlin and Herrera. Schneiderlin taking the defensive role, Herrera the Lampard role and Moutinho the central playing linking it. With Mendes involved - and talk Moutinho wants out of Monaco and Garazy wanting out of Russia, they could be relatively easy deals for the club to complete and improve the side a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Van Gaal for President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Jose now and Ronaldo in the summer... i can see the headlines already.

Findin it unnerving how all the usual journalists seem to have gone to ground. Like...no one is saying anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Findin it unnerving how all the usual journalists seem to have gone to ground. Like...no one is saying anything.

Calm before the storm??? Lvg practically wrote his own termination articles this evening with the interview and presser afterwards?? How can a man thats not confident of keeping his job keep a team of footballers in line?

Today was their day to fight for him if they were going to and it didn't look like they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

On match of the day now.

I take it they are waiting to get good information this time, I don't think they want to leave any doubt they are jumping the gun etc, as I said if I don't hear by about 11pm he is gone I think he will be there for the Chelsea game, of course they could sack him in the morning but I don't see why they would delay it tbh.

They could be saying nothing because quite simply there is nothing to say right now and they have been burned a little recently by being fed and mass reporting clearly inaccurate information.

He said himself he thinks he shall be in charge for the Chelsea game, but we will have to wait and see.

Again, the club are going to be very careful the way the press are briefed with this situation after the criticism they took over the Moyes fiasco.

I suspect there'll be a statement tomorrow morning/afternoon and that will be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Giggs to take charge of Chelsea game then Jose In.

Id be surprised if hes still there on monday

Again, the club are going to be very careful the way the press are briefed with this situation after the criticism they took over the Moyes fiasco.

I suspect there'll be a statement tomorrow morning/afternoon and that will be that.

I certainly hope they have learned from the Moyes dismissal, handled it disgracefully.

Agreed, some of his decision making is truly bizarre. Taking off Mata against Wolfsburg for Powell of all people who hadn't played in over a year really takes the biscuit. Pereira, who has made a few appearances for United this season (and scored in one too) remained on the bench. Baffling.

Mata was wrecked and wolfsburg continued to pass the ball out from the back, we were chasing the game and needed to press hard, our options from the bench were reduced. Powell pressed hard and nearly created a goal scoring oppurtunity straight after his introduction winning the ball back and trying to play a through ball that was cut out.

To me I can see the reasons for the sub and if he set up the goal people would be waxing lyrical about it and more then likely the same people who are giving out about it.

• Advertisement

Not even that, but the usual ****stirer ITKs are very quiet. Now Indykillas or the likes being banded round. Just silence from every direction.

Hope you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mata was wrecked and wolfsburg continued to pass the ball out from the back, we were chasing the game and needed to press hard, our options from the bench were reduced. Powell pressed hard and nearly created a goal scoring oppurtunity straight after his introduction winning the ball back and trying to play a through ball that was cut out.

To me I can see the reasons for the sub and if he set up the goal people would be waxing lyrical about it and more then likely the same people who are giving out about it.

Yeah they must be crazy, I mean the life of your entire CL campaign and previous season on the line and he brought on a guy with 3 league appearances for United in the past 6 years for a UEFA cup, CL, World Cup and Euros winner. I thought it was genius too. I mean it's not like Perreira or Young deserved to go on ahead of him, Van Gaal got it spot on imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I dont think anything will happen until after the Chelsea game to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I also have the feeling he will be there for the Chelsea game... One last stand at home and a win might buy him time. After Chelsea we have what in the course of normality that is some winnable fixtures. That could be his game plan and last throw of the dice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement