Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Woodward, always ultimately Woodward, Van Gaal is a poor second in that contest :) You can't help but be amused by it though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

I think LVG might have been behind the rise of Islamic State too.

Obviously not as IS would stop attacking if he was involved :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It looks like we will have to just hope the results can be turned around as he looks to be here until May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It looks like we will have to just hope the results can be turned around as he looks to be here until May.

ya. If the club was planning to get rid of him, he would of gone already

its such really poor managing of the whole issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Headshot wrote: »
    ya. If the club was planning to get rid of him, he would of gone already

its such really poor managing of the whole issue

Its baffling to be honest of all the conspiracy theories from the media as to why he is still in a job not one makes you go ohhh yehhhh thats the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its baffling to be honest of all the conspiracy theories from the media as to why he is still in a job not one makes you go ohhh yehhhh thats the reason.

It can only be that there's a manager lined up who's not available yet. Nothing else makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It can only be that there's a manager lined up who's not available yet. Nothing else makes sense.

I'm pretty sure we couldn't be much worse without a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If the plan is to wait for Pep and in the end he goes to City after writing this season off persevering with the orange duke of Boredom you have to consider Woodwards position at the club

Pulling in sponsors can't excuse how badly things have gone on the football side under his control for the past 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    He was one of the key players for Utd in Fergusons early success. I don't know about him handing things or not but it certainly didn't affect his on field performances.

I wasn't happy at all when he left and thought it was a mistake. I don't know what crap he took with him either. If you want to go down that road then what about Beckham? I presume you were even happier to see him sold with th circus he had created with his wife. That one Fergie got spot on IMO.

Beckham didn't have an arrogance about him, great free kicks, who could forget his goal from beyond the half way line.
    Got a boot to the head from Fergie, went to Real Madrid. Legend.
    He probably drove Sporty Spice mad given she is a Liverpool fan. Posh Spice probably never had her to Old Trafford.
    Beckham the person has always been a very nice person, there was never an arrogance about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

**** them Nissin noodles are rank. We need a new global noodle partner.

Thats fair enough but out of all the managers apart from pep maybe are any of the rest of em worth loosing out in champions league qualification for.

At the rate we going we will have to win the europa league to qualify and we do not have a big enough squad for that so our league form will only get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »
    That's a bit weird logic to be fair from you. You seem to hold a grudge against club legends like Ince and Schmeichel for their leaving and the manner of it, yet don't show any bitterness to a player who was the most expensive player in the leagues history and who stuck around for one season!(which in itself I find utterly bizzare and unusual for such a high profile signing)

club legends shouldnt be signing for Liverpool and City in my opinion. people dont have to agree with it, but its fairly basic opinion to have, one that many will share.

Schmeichel can be forgiven and seems to have came out and said he hated it/regretted it, but Ince.....different story.

no, i happen to like Di Maria, i think he is a world class player and i think we could have handled it better, much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Another way of looking at the pep situation is this... Does pep want to manage a team not in the cl? Not a ****ing hope he does...

Giggs til summer makes more sense than van gaal at this stage at least giggs might have us playing attacking football

Would he? We were certainly not treated to any good attacking football in his 4 game stint, he has been part of two coaching set ups that have not played very attractive football hasn't he

Would he manage to find a balance between the defence and attack I wonder, there is not a hope in hell he is a better bet then Van Gaal as uninspiring as that thought is.

Its either they are sure they have someone tied up for the summer, that there is nobody at the level required available (or wanted) or they believe Van Gaal can pull out of this tailspin.

I dunno which it is tbh, one thing I am pretty sure in my own mind about at least is, Giggs is not the answer, short term, medium term or longer term. If he doesn't back himself to go and succeed why would I!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Thats fair enough but out of all the managers apart from pep maybe are any of the rest of em worth loosing out in champions league qualification for.

At the rate we going we will have to win the europa league to qualify and we do not have a big enough squad for that so our league form will only get worse.

Well what managers are out there, unattached, who would guarantee CL qualification from United's current position with 15 games left? There aren't any. Nobody can guarantee that, and all the best managers bar Mourinho are unavailable right this minute anyway.

At this stage I'd prefer to think that the club have their eye on next season and beyond, rather than panicking and trying to patch holes this late in the season. If Mourihno was in the picture, the time to act would have been a month ago and it didn't happen.

There has to be a plan in place. If the summer comes and reveals that there isn't / wasn't, I'll blow my top.

• Advertisement

Well what managers are out there, unattached, who would guarantee CL qualification from United's current position with 15 games left? There aren't any. Nobody can guarantee that, and all the best managers bar Mourinho are unavailable right this minute anyway.

At this stage I'd prefer to think that the club have their eye on next season and beyond, rather than panicking and trying to patch holes this late in the season. If Mourihno was in the picture, the time to act would have been a month ago and it didn't happen.

There has to be a plan in place. If the summer comes and reveals that there isn't / wasn't, I'll blow my top.

If Van Gaal is still there next season, the words 'Manchester United' will have us feeling mentally unwell, given the thought of how depressing the football is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not necessarily I would say. I'm not sure they've decided who the next manager will be at all.

There's a few reports that Giggs would refuse to take over as interim if LVG gets sacked, and will only step in if given the job full time. That is something that Sherwood did with Tottenham and it earned him an 18 month contract at the time, so it is a legitimate tactic that Giggs could use.

If United were to appoint an interim manager that wasn't Giggs it would indicate that there's conflict between Giggs and the club and it would all look quite messy. It might be a situation that the club would like to avoid, which could explain why they think it's best that LVG carries on for now.

The above is obviously just a theory that may be way off. But things have been at such a low ebb over the last couple of months, it makes perfect sense to at least install an interim manager in order to just try something different which could lift the mood as the players look lifeless and performances are awful. The possible Giggs conundrum may explain why it hasn't happened.

Would he? We were certainly not treated to any good attacking football in his 4 game stint, he has been part of two coaching set ups that have not played very attractive football hasn't he

Would he manage to find a balance between the defence and attack I wonder, there is not a hope in hell he is a better bet then Van Gaal as uninspiring as that thought is.

Its either they are sure they have someone tied up for the summer, that there is nobody at the level required available (or wanted) or they believe Van Gaal can pull out of this tailspin.

I dunno which it is tbh, one thing I am pretty sure in my own mind about at least is, Giggs is not the answer, short term, medium term or longer term. If he doesn't back himself to go and succeed why would I!

I was reading a Paul Ince interview. He spoke sense:
    "Absolutely no chance. Giggsy's my mate and he enjoyed last year, he loved it."And now under Van Gaal he's learning. But I said to Giggsy, 'you gotta go to a club to get experience'.
    "Go manage a League One side or League Two side or because you're Ryan Giggs you might get a Championship team.
    "You can't just throw him into Man Utd, one of the biggest clubs in the world and say 'there ya go Giggsy.' He's not ready for that.
    "Why would you put Giggs in a situation where if he doesn't succeed you have to sack him?
    "Learn from Van Gaal and then go out and find your own feet. Then come back and say 'I've done five or six years.' That's how I see the road for Giggsy."

Only people who don't like United would want him made permanent manager.
    I see some Barcelona fans are mocking Real Madrid over the Zidane appointment and getting a draw against Real Betis.

Blatter wrote: »
    Not necessarily I would say. I'm not sure they've decided who the next manager will be at all.

There's a few reports that Giggs would refuse to take over as interim if LVG gets sacked, and will only step in if given the job full time. That is something that Sherwood did with Tottenham and it earned him an 18 month contract at the time, so it is a legitimate tactic that Giggs could use.

If United were to appoint an interim manager that wasn't Giggs it would indicate that there's conflict between Giggs and the club and it would all look quite messy. It might be a situation that the club would like to avoid, which could explain why they think it's best that LVG carries on for now.

The above is obviously just a theory that may be way off. But things have been at such a low ebb over the last couple of months, it makes perfect sense to at least install an interim manager in order to just try something different which could lift the mood as the players look lifeless and performances are awful. The possible Giggs conundrum may explain why it hasn't happened.

The above makes a scary kind of sense that my optimistically slanted mind won't allow me to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

u18s lost today to City.

11 defeats in a row now, or is it 12.

Iv lost count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    "Learn from Van Gaal and then go out and find your own feet. Then come back and say 'I've done five or six years.' That's how I see the road for Giggsy."

This is most likely what "Giggy's" plan has been from day one, even though some have gone out of their way to paint him as the pantomime villain "plotting against incumbent managers".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    u18s lost today to City.

Iv lost count

Jesus. I'll hold my hand up and say I wouldn't follow the underage teams much but a dozen losses in a row? Very worrying.

Jesus. I'll hold my hand up and say I wouldn't follow the underage teams much but a dozen losses in a row? Very worrying.

I think it's a bit exagerated the underage thing compaired to city blah blah.. Our u21 team is doing great they only 3 points off top with 3 games in hand and that is made up of alot of u18 players that have been promoted ahead of schedule.

Even the likes of BJ he has literally been promoted from under 18.

Im not saying that its not gone back but some people would have you think it's doomsday as far as they concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

11 losses in the league. They have won once in the last 13 games, a FA Youth Cup game against QPR. They couldn't even win that one in in normal time. 2-1 AET. Got hammered in the next round by chelsea last week. You can see that all confidence has drained from the team.

The u21's on the other hand have 1 loss in the last 11 matches, they play some super football too and are a credit to Warren Joyce. If there is an Interim coming in till the end of the season, his name should be in the reckoning anyways IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Just on Giggs, what is he actually doing? He's supposed to be analysing the teams we play and working out how to exploit their weaknesses. No sign of that on the pitch. So does that mean that LVG is completely ignoring whatever tactics Giggs suggests, or that Giggs is bad at his job?

They lost to City's academy, which is a lot better then ours in many ways and they also played with 10 for 70+ minutes.......Was actually a slightly better performance then in recent games apparently, and away from home it wasn't exactly a shock however its not a great crop tbh, as per the recruitment policy of the schoolboys over the last decade or so really.

Poor youth recruitment is no recipe for success, but the most important thing is how they are learning to play rather then results at that age. The under 21's are doing a lot better also tbf

KH25 wrote: »
    Just on Giggs, what is he actually doing? He's supposed to be analysing the teams we play and working out how to exploit their weaknesses. No sign of that on the pitch. So does that mean that LVG is completely ignoring whatever tactics Giggs suggests, or that Giggs is bad at his job?

I dont think that's giggs roll. That's the video analysis dude that lvg brought in with him.

Giggs is an apprentice he is learning his trade. He has goals to manage united now people might disagree on how He gets there or how he learns his trade but he has not done one thing wrong to get some of the blame he receives from fans.

He is on a management team he is not the leader of the team he is the junior member of the team.

I think we all agree that he needs to do something to get experience be it with another club or to take over the u21s but if the club turn around to giggs and say we want you on the coaching staff we want you to learn from the first team coach and we will pay you handsomely while you do it sure who would say no??

I dont think that's giggs roll. That's the video analysis dude that lvg brought in with him.

Giggs is an apprentice he is learning his trade. He has goals to manage united now people might disagree on how He gets there or how he learns his trade but he has not done one thing wrong to get some of the blame he receives from fans.

He is on a management team he is not the leader of the team he is the junior member of the team.

I think we all agree that he needs to do something to get experience be it with another club or to take over the u21s but if the club turn around to giggs and say we want you on the coaching staff we want you to learn from the first team coach and we will pay you handsomely while you do it sure who would say no??

I could be wrong but I could have sworn I read that his role was to analyse the opponents. The only reason I'm saying that is if it's true why are we seeing such a one dimensional game plan? There seems to be very little in the way of exploiting teams weakest points etc. I would assume Giggs wants more emphasis on attack. I suppose it's more so a curiosity than a go at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

u18s lost today to City.

Iv lost count

it doesn't really matter to be honest, the club wouldn't be too worried. If even 1 class player came out of that team it would be worth it

I could be wrong but I could have sworn I read that his role was to analyse the opponents. The only reason I'm saying that is if it's true why are we seeing such a one dimensional game plan? There seems to be very little in the way of exploiting teams weakest points etc. I would assume Giggs wants more emphasis on attack. I suppose it's more so a curiosity than a go at him.

I think last year lvg made a point of saying that giggs told them all what each club ment to United as in the Liverpool's and city's and arsenal but I don't think his official role is analysis of opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yiz are both kinda right.. Marcel Bout does the scouting and makes the reports and then Giggs does a team talk to the team about the opposition from the reports. I'll try find something on it.

Edit: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Sep/ryan-giggs-revealed-to-have-role-in-presenting-opposition-information-to-the-players.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,383 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From what i can gather - GIggs basically manages the opposition in training. He is to study the opposition and set up the second 11 in training to mimic the opposition, for the first 11 to train/practice against.

I think he is also the main link between the first team managerial staff and the youth teams; with talk he is very annoyed at the treatment/lack of game time some of those players have got - Wilson in particular.

bangkok wrote: »
    it doesn't really matter to be honest, the club wouldn't be too worried. If even 1 class player came out of that team it would be worth it

Cant be good for their development if their constantly losing and moral is low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

We don't know what he has done. You're assuming he's done nothing wrong but his actions on the sideline haven't helped his reputation. Especially when he acted like a rat deserting a sinking ship at the end of the Norwich game. We don't know what his role is behind the scenes but United haven't gotten any better during his reign with van Gaal.

Do you think Giggs would see himself as a junior member? The guy has a lot more of a role than you would think. I think the fans are annoyed at Giggs because the club was seen to be forcing him upon van Gaal. The thought of Giggs being groomed as van Gaal's successor makes a lot of people nervous and there are a lot of rumours surrounding Giggs too that reflect very poorly on him. I think there would be a extremely low number of match going fans that would be happy to see Giggs appointed as United manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Press conference should be interesting, wait for Louis to go on a big rant, get angry with a few journalists, and some of our deluded fans jumping back on the bandwagon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm only basing it on the times I see dugout during games, but Giggs and LVG get on as well as any manager/assistant combo, especially recently.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Press conference should be interesting, wait for Louis to go on a big rant, get angry with a few journalists, and some of our deluded fans jumping back on the bandwagon.

I find a lot of the press conferences entertaining. LVG is definitely a character. I just wish the football was as entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cant be good for their development if their constantly losing and moral is low.

majority of those players will be gone from the club in the next 2 years. Its the good ones that have the strong mentality, inner belief, character, drive that will go onto better things and that's what the club will be looking for.

u18s lost today to City.

Iv lost count

How are the u21s doing?

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    We don't know what he has done. You're assuming he's done nothing wrong but his actions on the sideline haven't helped his reputation. Especially when he acted like a rat deserting a sinking ship at the end of the Norwich game. We don't know what his role is behind the scenes but United haven't gotten any better during his reign with van Gaal.

Do you think Giggs would see himself as a junior member? The guy has a lot more of a role than you would think. I think the fans are annoyed at Giggs because the club was seen to be forcing him upon van Gaal. The thought of Giggs being groomed as van Gaal's successor makes a lot of people nervous and there are a lot of rumours surrounding Giggs too that reflect very poorly on him. I think there would be a extremely low number of match going fans that would be happy to see Giggs appointed as United manager.

Your right I don't know what's going on behind the scenes same as none of us do but its alot better to give him the benefit of the doubt that its not his fault that the team are playing static or that they have no fire in them playing against so called lower teams. That's the managers job tactics and manamanagement.

And same to you that you dont know why giggs was on the touchline that day, he hasn't said nor has lvg it could just of been a case of lvg told him ok you go see if you can fire them up. Lvg hasn't showed any signs of been hostile to giggs been on the touchline.

And again I don't know how giggs sees himself but of the first team coaching staff on the bench he has the lesser experience of them all so it dont matter what he thinks he is still learning his trade.

And I get that match going fans aren't happy if he takes over i would too. But I certainly wouldn't be blaming giggs because of how the team is playing now or anything.

All we know for certain is that giggs has been told to work under the first team coach to learn from him, LVG and fergie have said he has the ability to be the next united manager and he has said he would like to manage united but the club have not said he is next in line not once.

So it is all assuming because at the end of the day we are all just fans on a meaningless message board that haven't a clue what the club are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I normally love his press conferences, his charisma and self assuredness exuded from the screen.

But, he looked a beaten man in the post match press conference last Saturday, I think he knows the game is up one way or another, I think he knows he is in a glorified caretaker role until the end of the season and I reckon his press conference will reflect that, I'd say he'll be pretty subdued.

We're in a dreadful position if we have a manager who offered to go and has lost motivation but we're not in a position (for a variety of reasons) to not implement a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I find a lot of the press conferences entertaining. LVG is definitely a character. I just wish the football was as entertaining.

I find them cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I normally love his press conferences, his charisma and self assuredness exuded from the screen.

But, he looked a beaten man in the post match press conference last Saturday, I think he knows the game is up one way or another, I think he knows he is in a glorified caretaker role until the end of the season and I reckon his press conference will reflect that, I'd say he'll be pretty subdued.

We're in a dreadful position if we have a manager who offered to go and has lost motivation but we're not in a position (for a variety of reasons) to not implement a change.

How are the u21s doing?

Very good. Team plays with flair.

Solid midfield and a flair attack. Good at the back aswell.

Think they are 2nd with a good few games inhand. 6 points ahead of 3rd with 4 games in hand on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How are the u21s doing?

Under 21s are doing well, have had about 55 shots in last 3 games too.

• Advertisement

Under 21s are doing well, have had about 55 shots in last 3 games too.

What are these 'shots' you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What are these 'shots' you speak of?

I heard it's where you have an attempt at scoring a goal......or so the legend goes.

ttZ8rQv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Surely Pereira should start tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I find them cringeworthy and embarrassing.

While he has a tendancy to sometimes get riled over something not worthy, the only consistent cringe worthy and embarrassing features in his conferences is the standard of questioning he receives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hococop wrote: »
    Surely Pereira should start tomorrow

I can imagine he will be very frustrated. Its one thing for a young lad to sit and wait his turn, but when we have been as poor as we have you would expect that turn to come a lot quicker. And of course we all remember the last young player left scratching on the bench while poor players were played out of position ahead of him.

On the other hand, when he sees what happened Januazj, Powell and Varela this season maybe he is dodging a bullet by not playing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement