Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

Maybe LVGs missus is leaking all the stories as she wants to move to portugal I mean its perfectly plausable right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Do people who find what LVG sais embarrasing find this embarrasing?

Difference is he was probably top of the league giving that and playing good football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

against Southampton??he didnt say that, did he??

honestly, no way could he say that.....it was one of the worst performances from a United team in years.

No he was talking in general about how sometimes you play bad and win, sometimes you play well and lose. The question was about his mood after Southampton but he didn't refer to Southampton in his answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have you even read any of the posts on this topic today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

against Southampton??he didnt say that, did he??

honestly, no way could he say that.....it was one of the worst performances from a United team in years.

Yhh sorry I miss read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no i find it inspirational, to the point, factual and sensible. theres a world of a difference in how Fergie dealt with the media and how LVG dealt with the media in the last few months.

if the City or Liverpool manager was carrying on like LVG, we'd find it the most amusing thing going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Loved the one youtube recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPwnwP0Wlg

Arranging for him to be banned during the press conf hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

you say this, as if 4-4-2 is a bad thing, whats wrong with 4-4-2?

Meant more that with 4-4-2 we would be forfeiting the defensive solidity the two DM's have provided and probably getting over run, if Derby were so inclined.

In general though I think 4-4-2 is out of the current cycle(it will come back), when the current trend is playing against a majority of teams operating with three players in or around the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have a semi chub on right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Meant more that with 4-4-2 we would be forfeiting the defensive solidity the two DM's have provided and probably getting over run, if Derby were so inclined.

In general though I think 4-4-2 is out of the current cycle(it will come back), when the current trend is playing against a majority of teams operating with three players in or around the middle.

Yep 4 4 2 is really holding Leicester back :)

• Advertisement

If Derby were so inclined!

Is this what a quarter of a billion gets you? A team that can't handle Derby County unless we pack the defense?

Its ****ing Derby, we shouldn't be giving two sweet ****s what their inclination is!

But thats the situation we find ourselves in. Thanks Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One up front is just the current fad. Nothing wrong with 442 and it will eventually come back into fashion. The most important thing for a team on the pitch is to stay in contact with each other, i.e. Move up and down the pitch together, staying compact from back to front and in touch with each other, rather than any formation IMO.
    The speed of that movement is equally important and Utd under Van Gaal are like a tortoise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »
    One up front is just the current fad. Nothing wrong with 442 and it will eventually come back into fashion. The most important thing for a team on the pitch is to stay in contact with each other, i.e. Move up and down the pitch together, staying compact from back to front and in touch with each other, rather than any formation IMO.
    The speed of that movement is equally important and Utd under Van Gaal are like a tortoise.

Teams are aiming to exploit it by taking defenders out of the team and putting in midfielders.

Good to see a club like Leicester take teams on though and attacking, over running the weaker defences.

Sad that United lack ambition, intent in that way.

This defensive solidity is a major reason why out football is absolute dirt.

4-4-2 is generally much better to watch than any other formation, if done right, with the right players- pace, width, at least 1 box to box midfielder and two goal scorers.

You can compensate for being over run by having one striker drop deep on to the holding midfielder when you dont have possession.

If Derby were so inclined!

Is this what a quarter of a billion gets you? A team that can't handle Derby County unless we pack the defense?

Its ****ing Derby, we shouldn't be giving two sweet ****s what their inclination is!

But thats the situation we find ourselves in. Thanks Louis.

Boro, Sheffield United caused us major problems already this year at home, no reason why Derby won't do the same.

The like of Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford while a level above them, are no world beaters either and have rattled us big time.

Boro, Sheffield United caused us major problems already this year at home, no reason why Derby won't do the same.

The like of Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford while a level above them, are no world beaters either and have rattled us big time.

Indeed, and its a huge indictment of this club right now.

Must be a first, only four days left in transfer window and no1 talks about even a hint of a signing ha. Least of the worries id say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think most clubs are the same. No signing of any interest across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

probably see a mini scramble the last night but other then that it might as well be the middle of October. I know we all get excited to a point about getting in new faces but this is the first time when we are in dire need of reinforcements instead of just improving the quality of the squad and not a dickie. The only thing that gives me hope is that the Martial thing came from left field so maybe we could have something similar lined up and it hasn't broken but I'm not holding my breath. All I know is we don't get bodies in on loan or otherwise we could be very well ****ed for 4th... Can't wait till be are forced to play Varela,Jones, McNair and CBJ accross the back 4 in a few games time.. great times.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think most clubs are the same. No signing of any interest across the board.

But any of the clubs with something to play for and in need of strengthen look like they will. By all means arsenal and city are pretty well sorted it looks like chelsea will make a few or are trying anyway.

Spurs reinforced their defence, Liverpool are still trying these teams are who we are directly competing with for champs league this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The whole transfer window system is a joke anyway. Teams should have to have a squad in place prior to the start of the regular season (this gives leeway to the early Cl rounds etc) and this should include the manager.

There should be a limit to how many you can have in the squad (I think that exists already) but another player (like a returning loanee) can only be brought in if a player gets injured and that loanee then takes that spot for the rest of the season.

It is supposed to be a team we support, like a collection of individuals that can be chopped and changed based on how much money you have (money of course will still play the decisive role, but the destabilising effect of January transfer rumours will be removed).

Same should be true of the manager. You pick one for the season and you had better make the choice correctly coz you are basically stuck with him, unless they retire for the rest of the season (or die I suppose).

It would in an instant get rid of all the tidious talk of managers getting fired etc

I agree about the transfer window situation there should be one window in the summer end of.

As regards sticking with the manager. How do you propose that works ? If a manager wants to leave etc.. or is found in breach of contract ? or misses the performance targets required in his contract ? You can't force clubs to continually employee people no more so then any company. Or the same said about a manager who wants to walk to a better job, everyone is entitled to want to do that all be it how the contract between the two parties ends is the only ever present sticking point but that is why compensation exists..... pie in the sky stuff...

So what about players? Is the same not true for them?

You pick a manager for the season, if they aren't working out then you go with the coach or another player or whatever, but basically someone already at the club. Choose wisely. How is it any different than how they control a player.

If the manager isn't living up the the requirements, well the club should have done a better interview process, and he can be removed or let stay in charge, but if removed they can't just bring, for example Klopp in. Liverpool and Utd went with Rodgers and LVG and they should have to stand by their decision.

It is not to punish clubs, but to bring the sense of team back into it. There is no point fans calling for the managers head, unless in our case we actually believe Giggs is better. The press don't waste time writing rubbish and we can get to talking about the actual game

You pick a manager for the season, if they aren't working out then you go with the coach or another player or whatever, but basically someone already at the club. Choose wisely. How is it any different than how they control a player.

If the manager isn't living up the the requirements, well the club should have done a better interview process, and he can be removed or let stay in charge, but if removed they can't just bring, for example Klopp in. Liverpool and Utd went with Rodgers and LVG and they should have to stand by their decision.

It is not to punish clubs, but to bring the sense of team back into it. There is no point fans calling for the managers head, unless in our case we actually believe Giggs is better. The press don't waste time writing rubbish and we can get to talking about the actual game

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what about players? Is the same not true for them?

United finish 7th this season for example. In April we pay off LVG and promote Giggs. Just for example. If we do that LVG is gone. if we **** up like that we won't be paying off De Gea, or Smalling, or any of the playing staff. You cannot compare like for like. Different roles within the game. The transfer window is designed to regulate the moment and transfer and registration of players between clubs, not managers, goalkeeping coaches, tea lady etc... Would you begrudge LVG getting another opportunity somewhere if he wanted one ?

Leroy42 wrote: »

Picking someone already there ? You presume that someone there would want the job, you presume that the other coaches would not be out on their ear as well.... pie in the sky stuff. It would punish the clubs. Interview process ? nonsense. LVG is the prefect example. Great career of success with big clubs, experienced, great CV. You cant blame United for the appointment... as I said before his CV got him the gig quite rightly but his failure to deliver will be what costs him it. The club shouldn't be punished for that, no club should be and that is all that would happen. Look at Mourinho.. again.. won it all but he imploded. CHelsea should not be allowed to appoint Hiddink ? you serious ? achieves nothing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He could get us knocked out of the cup tomorrow and still be in the job, we're stuck with him until summer it looks like

Whether that's a master plan to get Pep remains to be seen, but if that doesn't materialise I think Woody should be following Van Gaal out the door

a player can be dropped from the team at any time, even from the squad, but the contract stills exists and the player must continue to be paid. This has happened loads of times.

If Utd are 7th and want to drop LVG, thats fine, bring in Giggs (as he's already in the club) but LVG continues to be paid and cannot take up another position (he is contracted to Utd afterall).

Why should it be any different? A contract is signed and should be lived up to by both parties. It gives managers a sense of comfort (the urge to sack mid season would be gone) but it also stops them leaving a club mid season.

A chairman cannot simply discard a manager without a serious penalty and only by promoting someone already in the club.

Again, it goes back to building a team. Football is not like being a mechanic in a garage, if they move nobody really cares (or any other profession!!) but supporters support a club and it should be something they are in together

• Advertisement

a player can be dropped from the team at any time, even from the squad, but the contract stills exists and the player must continue to be paid. This has happened loads of times.

If Utd are 7th and want to drop LVG, thats fine, bring in Giggs (as he's already in the club) but LVG continues to be paid and cannot take up another position (he is contracted to Utd afterall).

Why should it be any different? A contract is signed and should be lived up to by both parties. It gives managers a sense of comfort (the urge to sack mid season would be gone) but it also stops them leaving a club mid season.

A chairman cannot simply discard a manager without a serious penalty and only by promoting someone already in the club.

Again, it goes back to building a team. Football is not like being a mechanic in a garage, if they move nobody really cares (or any other profession!!) but supporters support a club and it should be something they are in together

Player can be dropped, he still trains though. Tell him to **** off and sit at home you will be sued. Same for a manager. Pay him to sit at home eating chipsticks while you are paying 6 million a year for manager wages as opposed to 3 ? Giggs doesnt want the job.. what then ? who does it go to ? eventually somone gets talking to Varela to see if he wants to take over as player manager... ? Football is like any business, results based. My MD isnt meeting the targets set by the VP.. good luck, gone, new face in to do the job. I wont be gone.. then again I wont be the new MD.

Subtle dig at Woodward and the Glazers yet again by Fergies writer buddy?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/12128562/Glazers-will-trust-Ed-Woodward-to-make-call-on-Louis-van-Gaals-Manchester-United-future.html

Some interesting points/views in there.

"United have become a deal-making factory with expensive football team attached".

seems this is a view Fergie shares and it took him leaving for the club to materialise into this. Fergie also seems to be distancing himself from the decision to keep LVG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

actually felt sorry for LVG today, the press are hounding him every day now. disgusting is the only way to explain english media, especially Sky and the tabloids, who love this kind of thing.

Sounds strange maybe from me a Liverpool fan, as I happily will watch the demise of united, (no offence, just my ABU side coming out) don't think Giggs is your answer either.

At the end of the day, LVG is a top class manager, arrogant and stubborn maybe, but he still has a serious CV behind him. You could still win the league and or the cup. Interesting to see if your board will back him and buy in the window.

It is horrible the way the English media jump on someone like this.

Klopp on the other hand is the media darling (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

actually felt sorry for LVG today, the press are hounding him every day now. disgusting is the only way to explain english media, especially Sky and the tabloids, who love this kind of thing.

Sounds strange maybe from me a Liverpool fan, as I happily will watch the demise of united, (no offence, just my ABU side coming out) don't think Giggs is your answer either.

At the end of the day, LVG is a top class manager, arrogant and stubborn maybe, but he still has a serious CV behind him. You could still win the league and or the cup. Interesting to see if your board will back him and buy in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Still behind Van Gaal. I know he's doing quite badly and he's gone at the end of the season but I have no problem with him finishing the season.

Weird though, because I remember I turned on Moyes and wanted him gone really early on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

J. Marston wrote: »
    Still behind Van Gaal. I know he's doing quite badly and he's gone at the end of the season but I have no problem with him finishing the season.

Weird though, because I remember I turned on Moyes and wanted him gone really early on.

Are you serious. This guy is managing to do an incredibly bad job, its ridiculous at this stage.

The man is getting paid millions to manage a football club if he doesn't do that properly he deserves to be scrutinised thats how football works.

I hate the tabloids too but at the end of the day of we don't have them we don't have anything to talk about they are toxic but not only lvg has to deal with them.

Have you seen us play the past two months we have no chance of winning league this year not a hope in hell we are counting on four teams to have a mother of all fuk ups to allow us to pass them.

Klopp is a nice guy he is going threw his honeymoon period at the moment if he spends money in the summer and the team dont perform then we will see how good he really is at the moment he is under no pressure.

J. Marston wrote: »

9FDBh.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would love to see some videos of Van Gaal's training sessions, I think it would be a great insight into how things are going so badly wrong

Saw a video of Sheringham scoring a great goal against Derby earlier, the movement is key and light years ahead of anything we do now. We don't need to buy a bunch of lighting quick players, Van Gaal's methods are the problem, and it looks getting rid of him is the solution because he refuses to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Only Villa scored fewer goals than United at home. That's a ridiculous stat. 12 goals in 11 league games is atrocious record. How he is still in charge of this club is beyond me.

I like Woodward and always defended him, if there is one complaint I have, it's on this. So much late reaction to sack manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Outside of the commerical stuff, Woodward doesnt know what hes doing. A grave error to give him the power he has - he's an accountant by trade and was up to a few years ago with no football backround. It is no coincidence that things are where they are.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I like Woodward and always defended him.

Ah here come on, there is very little to like about Woodward and while there is a few people who share this bizzare opinion the simple facts remain that under Woodwards stewardship the only thing that's progressed is money.

Meanwhile we are at our worst football performances and quality in 42 years and the worst period of results in 27 years together with our longest period without a trophy since 1988,.since he took over.

If you are measure our success with commercial acitivity and revenue then great for you. I measure it on the quality of football we play and quality of our playing squad, manager and everything else that is associated with football and since Woodward came on board, it's been pathetic.

People should stop defending him and fans need to realise that he is the main problem in the overall sense. When LVG goes, we will still have problems, with all this money to spend but wrong man there to do it.

• He's with us for the rest of the season.
    Time to get up, get over it and get on with it.

Alarmingly, we haven't made any January signings either....would wreck my head if we made some last minute bid and lost out on Monday which I can sense happening thus adding to the fan frustration

Positive I can think of for tonight's game is that Derbys form has been on par with ours ;/
    As long as we don't draw and take this back to OT......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Only Villa scored fewer goals than United at home. That's a ridiculous stat. 12 goals in 11 league games is atrocious record. How he is still in charge of this club is beyond me.

I like Woodward and always defended him, if there is one complaint I have, it's on this. So much late reaction to sack manager.

Woodward - read up about him and how the Glazers bought the club and were able to saddle it with debt and how he got into his current role.

It's going to be 3-5-2 again tonight isn't it?

Mcnair, smalling and Daley at the back flanked by lingaard and Jackson.

Only other option is varela in right back in a back 4 but the fact he left it for 86 mins the last day without changing formation and players suggest he believes it's the right thing to do.

Lingard would struggle to get into a championship side like Derby and he is playing 90 mins in the premier league...mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ugh to watch this game or not tonight
    long week at work, so maybe it'll put me into an early slumber..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ah here come on, there is very little to like about Woodward and while there is a few people who share this bizzare opinion the simple facts remain that under Woodwards stewardship the only thing that's progressed is money.

Meanwhile we are at our worst football performances and quality in 42 years and the worst period of results in 27 years together with our longest period without a trophy since 1988,.since he took over.

If you are measure our success with commercial acitivity and revenue then great for you. I measure it on the quality of football we play and quality of our playing squad, manager and everything else that is associated with football and since Woodward came on board, it's been pathetic.

People should stop defending him and fans need to realise that he is the main problem in the overall sense. When LVG goes, we will still have problems, with all this money to spend but wrong man there to do it.

Oh sorry for believing CEO is not responsible for team selection and tactics employed. I was under the impression that it's all to do with manager and his training methods.

What's woodward supposed to do with how ManUtd are playing when it's so much clear that everything is to do with Van Gaal?

His role is to bring money to the club and spend it on players, he is doing his job. Problem is Van Gaal not Woodward.
    kstand wrote: »
    Woodward - read up about him and how the Glazers bought the club and were able to saddle it with debt and how he got into his current role.

How he got? After Gill he got promoted internally is what I read. Any links about he got this job?

Re the take over, I hated it when it happened but now they have done well to keep everything in control. Even Andersred is not all doom and gloom about debt and is impressed with financial side of the club. PLC would have pushed us even lower when City and Chelsea had billionaire owners. We had rigid structure when it comes to wages, one of the reason we failed to sign Batistuta and came close to losing Keane.

Also correct if I'm wrong, wasn't under PLC dividends were paid among shareholders every year?

Oh sorry for believing CEO is not responsible for team selection and tactics employed. I was under the impression that it's all to do with manager and his training methods.

What's woodward supposed to do with how ManUtd are playing when it's so much clear that everything is to do with Van Gaal?

His role is to bring money to the club and spend it on players, he is doing his job. Problem is Van Gaal not Woodward.

You have to admit though, forget football clubs, if any business in the world appointed a new CEO and then their performance over the next 3 years tanked as incredibly badly as ours has done, then that CEO would quite rightly be held accountable and most likely turfed out on his ear.

We were the league champions and the biggest club in England, now we are worried about Derby County. Forget any bull about Fergie leaving a crap team of league champions, we have been managed horrendously since Woodward was appointed and he should rightly expect scrutiny for what is happening on his watch.

Even today he is making the same mistakes. Van Gaal has been a disaster as manager yet he is still there, there isn't a top club in the world that wouldn't have sacked him months ago. Its remarkably similar to the Moyes situation, another manager who stayed in the job to the point that cost us badly long term. Why isn't Woodward taking action on very obvious problems? Should he not be held responsible for the mess that he is in charge off?

Is he not Van Gaals boss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Klopp will come under the same scrutiny if he doesn't perform as expected, he gets a pass for now because it he's only there 3 months.

As for LVG, it's 18 months of little progression and months of poor football, out of the CL and more in a fight for 4th than a title challenge, so of course he is under pressure. Rodgers faced similar problems, no improvement or solving problems.

So while managers don't get much time these days, Monk getting sacked was a joke (apparently politics behind the scenes there), there has to be positive signs for the majority of a fan base to keep faith. Maybe you can point out these positives because it seems many of the more optimistic United fans can't see them anymore?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

How he got? After Gill he got promoted internally is what I read. Any links about he got this job?

Re the take over, I hated it when it happened but now they have done well to keep everything in control. Even Andersred is not all doom and gloom about debt and is impressed with financial side of the club. PLC would have pushed us even lower when City and Chelsea had billionaire owners. We had rigid structure when it comes to wages, one of the reason we failed to sign Batistuta and came close to losing Keane.

Also correct if I'm wrong, wasn't under PLC dividends were paid among shareholders every year?

ufffff Giggsy ,lot of holes in the second part. Basically Woodward brokered most of the glazer take over as he worked as a merchant banker. He was then taken on as a finance director under Gill as far as I'm aware and moved up as roles opened on the commercial side. He was a glazer appointment.
    I think under PLC as we became profitable that strings were loosened and we were starting to compete in terms of wages and transfer fees. Sugar daddy syndrome hit and we were always a prime target as a trophy to be had.
    Under PLC rules you aren't required to pay a dividend if you're not profitable but most will pay one as its a sign of decline.
    Beware cos someone will say well how much of a dividend would we have paid put compared to how much the glazers have sucked out of the club in interest and directors payments (approx. 500m under their ownership)..
    Please don't ask for facts anyone this is what I remember seeing in various reports. If you want them look for yourself ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement